What is the easiest way to remove the brake box on rear axle?

If you're talking about the splitter mounted to the top of the axle tube on the driver side, it's held on by the axle vent fitting running through it and into the axle tube. Remove the vent firing and the block will be loose from the axle tube.

should be just a bolt going through it and into the axle housing tube

if the bolt is crusty, a wire brush (to clean of the loose crap), a 6 point socket, and an application of kroil works best

Yup thats the one. Tips on getting fitting out of off?

If you're talking about the splitter mounted to the top of the axle tube on the driver side, it's held on by the axle vent fitting running through it and into the axle tube. Remove the vent firing and the block will be loose from the axle tube.

Yup thats the one. Tips on getting fitting out of off?

I don't remember the wrench size, but it comes out just like a bolt. I take the hose off and get a box end on it because the deep socket you'd need would put too much sideways pressure on it and is likely to break it off. It's hollow so it won't take as much abuse as a bolt.

As for breaking it free, if you've got rust you can soak it with kroil or liquid wrench (don't waste your time with pb blaster) or make your own concoction out of 50/50 acetone and ATF. That's my go to because there hasn't been a time in this decade that I haven't had both in my garage. Let it soak for at least a few hours. Keep trying it for a few days if it's particularly stubborn.

To remove the brake hose fittings you'll need a flare wrench. If the fitting is seised to the hardline, then the line will twist when the fitting starts to unscrew. Try a combination of tightening & loosening by small bits to break up the corrosion. Worst case scenario is that the hardline breaks and you replace it with a nice new SS line.

I got all the lines run but I ran into a problem with the spliter box bolt.. Someone must have been in there before because the threads were messed up on the end of the bolt and the top of the axle hole., I had the right sized bolt in my misc. bolt department to run though the axle to make sure the threads are still good deeper in the axle housing.

Whoever at Chrysler that decided to use these cheap ass brake lines should be shot

Last edited: