What is the largest tire size I can run without needing a lift?

Peter Saint

Hi from the UK.

I’m loving this site and wondered if anyone could help me please.

I get my first 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara TJ next week and have been told that it is fitted with 16” Anniversary wheels.

The question I have is what is the maximum size tyre I can fit without requiring a lift?
I’m particularly interested in the BF Goodrich TA KO2.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Pete.

As far as I know the largest tire you can run stock is 31x10.5 if you plan to do any off roading. You can fit up to 33's on there but any off roading will cause a lot of rubbing and problems. If you go 31's you might have to adjust your steering stops to prevent rubbing at full turn, but that's a very simple modification. I currently have 30's on my Jeep and plan to get BFG KO2's in 31 when the ones I have finally die.

In your case, since you have 16" wheels, 31" tires would translate into 245/75-16 or 265/70-16 metric size tires. The 265 size would be about the same height, but a little (.8") wider.

Last edited:
I’ve just been reading an article on back setting and was wondering whether I’d need to incorporate this with your recommendations above?
Thanks.

If you're looking at aftermarket wheels, the idea backspacing will be between 3.75" to 4".

Reactions: JMT
Hi.
Well things certainly moved on for me and my Jeep as the one I asked the question on had to go back due to rust issues.

So, firstly I’d like to say a massive thank you to all involved with this site as the information and knowledge I’ve gained in such a short time enabled me to realise that it had to go back, get my money refunded and search again!

Well that search has resulted in my new purchase of a 1998 TJ Sahara, which I’m really happy with.

My question still relates to tyres as it’s currently got almost new 235 x 75 x 15 Hankook Dynapro MT fitted all round, with a spare of 225 x 75 x 15.

I think I’m detecting rubbing on hard right hand lock. Would you expect this, and if so how can I get over it please?

All help greatly appreciated.

Pete

Hi.
Well things certainly moved on for me and my Jeep as the one I asked the question on had to go back due to rust issues.

So, firstly I’d like to say a massive thank you to all involved with this site as the information and knowledge I’ve gained in such a short time enabled me to realise that it had to go back, get my money refunded and search again!

Well that search has resulted in my new purchase of a 1998 TJ Sahara, which I’m really happy with.

My question still relates to tyres as it’s currently got almost new 235 x 75 x 15 Hankook Dynapro MT fitted all round, with a spare of 225 x 75 x 15.

I think I’m detecting rubbing on hard right hand lock. Would you expect this, and if so how can I get over it please?

All help greatly appreciated.

Pete

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-adjust-the-steering-stops-on-your-tj.3230/

Reactions: Chris