What is the most important recovery gear to have?

Have you had the switch assembly for awhile? Didn't seem like it was available anymore.
Totally available - it just takes 1.2 forevers to get it! "12 Volt Guy" warns potential purchasers that it can take up to 12 weeks - and that's about what it took to get mine, maybe a week or so longer. Adding to that is he doesn't appear to answer emails - there's no "real" way to get ahold of him other than facesuck - which is hardly professional. I guess he's one of the many who thinks the world revolves around that site. You're SOL if you want to contact him and you're not a member there - but his product is well worth the wait...

Totally available - it just takes 1.2 forevers to get it! "12 Volt Guy" warns potential purchasers that it can take up to 12 weeks - and that's about what it took to get mine, maybe a week or so longer. Adding to that is he doesn't appear to answer emails - there's no "real" way to get ahold of him other than facesuck - which is hardly professional. I guess he's one of the many who thinks the world revolves around that site. You're SOL if you want to contact him and you're not a member there - but his product is well worth the wait...
nice switch set , but screw all that other nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
Have you had the switch assembly for awhile? Didn't seem like it was available anymore.
There isn't much smart about hacking into your winch wiring. Pull the switch out of the remote, run the cable through the engine compartment and leave the plug hanging just inside the grill. When you hit the trail, plug it in so the switch is hot.

Don't mount the switch or any switch to the knee bolster without a disconnect plug. It is dumb to have to unwire something to work under the dash.

In the many years I've had mine done this way, not once have I had to use the spare remote I've kept beside the seat just in case.

nice switch set , but screw all that other nonsense.
I hear you. I wasn't in any hurry - I ordered it and then forgot about it almost until its arrival. It still sat here after it showed up for about six weeks. But if you want/need it in anything approaching "timely", you'll have to piece it together yourself. People who conduct business on facesuck - and especially those who conduct business ONLY on facesuck, annoy me to put it mildly! You order the thing on his website as it should be, but then he expects customers to communicate with him on a walled garden, members only website (of very questionable reputation). Unprofessional and very bad business as far as I'm concerned. OTOH, he obviously has as much or more business than he needs/wants/can handle, so there's that.

Don't mount the switch or any switch to the knee bolster with a disconnect plug. It is dumb to have to unwire something to work under the dash.
I think you mean "without a disconnect plug" - and I agree. I took the shortcut of leaving enough wiring under the dash to where I can throw the panel on the passenger seat, but a disconnect plug would be better. I did that with another button I mounted there - and I may add it to this lashup if it becomes annoying, long wiring or no.

I think you mean "without a disconnect plug" - and I agree. I took the shortcut of leaving enough wiring under the dash to where I can throw the panel on the passenger seat, but a disconnect plug would be better. I did that with another button I mounted there - and I may add it to this lashup if it becomes annoying, long wiring or no.
I was proofing when you posted.

The most important gear is your brain. Couple common sense with synthetic rope and shackles, and you can get out of anything you will likely get into. Hint, common sense means going with someone else, to help when needed.

Came here to say this. Your brain is your #1 recovery (and survival!) tool, and is the only tool you can count on having with you.

Check out the old army recovery manuals. They're packed with practical info that's a real eye-opener if you aren't familiar with simple possibilities.

Here's a sample: http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/us-army-vehicle-recovery-manual.pdf

The most important gear is your brain. Couple common sense with synthetic rope and shackles, and you can get out of anything you will likely get into. Hint, common sense means going with someone else, to help when needed.
X6 ( I think so far)

Came here to say this. Your brain is your #1 recovery (and survival!) tool, and is the only tool you can count on having with you.

Check out the old army recovery manuals. They're packed with practical info that's a real eye-opener if you aren't familiar with simple possibilities.

Here's a sample: http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/us-army-vehicle-recovery-manual.pdf
*THAT* is fantastic! Thanx for posing it. I may print out relevant sections...