What is the next best thing to a Derale transmission cooler?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
In the near future, I am wanting to get an aux cooler. I just want to know what a majority of the forum members use and if there is anything that is a runner up to the Derale but cheaper in price. Price is the only thing holding me back from getting the derale right now. Thanks!

Runner up is derale without their bracket. Make your own. Saves a little money.

I couldn’t use theirs so to my air tank placement.

Reactions: Mora
Yes, you could just get a Derale without the bracket and make your own. It wouldn't be that hard.

I really like the design of the Derale and how it uses it's own fan to cool it even when you're just sitting at idle.

Reactions: Mora
I do not like the Derale cooler. IMO, I feel it is overrated and that the install is too painful. I also do not like that the fan is underneath the vehicle. I went with this kit from PSC instead and it has been great.

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicle-specific-products/jeep-temp/03-06-jeep-tj-lj/psc-mbc100.html
What was the temp before and after the cooler install?

Reason I ask is we just had the opportunity to record both for the cooler we use with the 42RLE. Before was nearly 250 sustained, after, 150 sustained with occasional spikes to 165.

Yes, you could just get a Derale without the bracket and make your own. It wouldn't be that hard.

I really like the design of the Derale and how it uses it's own fan to cool it even when you're just sitting at idle.
Would you happen to have a link? Don't want to accidentally be looking/purchasing the wrong one.

Reason I ask is we just had the opportunity to record both for the cooler we use with the 42RLE. Before was nearly 250 sustained, after, 150 sustained with occasional spikes to 165.
What setup are you using? That seems like a pretty solid cooling system.

You use the Setrab slimline one, correct? Had I known about that one before I bought this PSC kit, I would have gone for that inspite of the cost.

I have no information reg the "before" temps on the 42RLE. I actually recently installed my trans temp gauge and been checking the temperatures and I have not had much chance for offroad driving yet. On the hwy, 160F is the maximum I have seen. Usually runs at 150F. Note that I have the sensor plumbed into the return line from the cooler.

PXL_20200922_013803736.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mora and Irun
I don't have a baseline I trust, because I used a different gauge before and after the cooler install. All I can say is that before my temps consistently went north of 200. This was a very hot Summer here and I saw my highest temperature since installing the cooler. On a 90+ day it went to 188 on a long slow hill climb (Running in 4:1). My average temps run 140 - 150 on cooler days and 150 - 160 on warmer days.