What is the OPDA and do I need to change mine?

It's was sold via 3rd party. I emailed them and they processed and shipped it within 16 hours instead of 48. Great customer service.

Even more impressive! Most of my stuff I try to get via Amazon Prime (the 2 day shipping is awesome), but it sounds like you found an awesome third party seller!

Reactions: JP13
Even more impressive! Most of my stuff I try to get via Amazon Prime (the 2 day shipping is awesome), but it sounds like you found an awesome third party seller!

Prime wasn't available. I'll pay slightly more for prime. I'm impatient. Lol

Reactions: Chris
Prime wasn't available. I'll pay slightly more for prime. I'm impatient. Lol

Aren't we all!

Heck, sometimes when I have something from Prime in the shopping cart and it says $4 more to have it delivered the next day... I'm like okay, that's worth it!

Reactions: JP13
I'm wondering if the old sensor wasn't faulty and the symptoms were actually from the OPDA slowly failing. Idk.

If anyone needs the sensor, I have a great deal for them.

I'll send them the new sensor that came with the new Crown OPDA & the old Mopar sensor (might be good, might not be) for only $20 with free shipping.

2 sensors (1 new & 1 used) for $20 w/ free shipping.

So I know there was a recall for the OPDA for some years right? Is it possible the one I'm going to look at already has a replacement? It mopar got to it and replaced it will it have any indication on the cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I know there was a recall for the OPDA for some years right? Is it possible the one I'm going to look at already has a replacement? It mopar got to it and replaced it will it have any indication on the cover?

The recall replaced the poorly designed part with the same one. It's universally accepted that the re designed Crown assembly is the way to go. This will cost you around $100 plus labor if you can't do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: dylansalrin

The problem is only for 05/06 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: dylansalrin
Got the Dorman from Napa installed this morning. Incredibly easy to do save for the damn securing nut being just sort of seized on. Had to use the Dorman CPS too due to the OEM CPS just not coming off.

No more noise! No more check engine light!

I'm wondering if the old sensor wasn't faulty and the symptoms were actually from the OPDA slowly failing. Idk.

If anyone needs the sensor, I have a great deal for them.

I'll send them the new sensor that came with the new Crown OPDA & the old Mopar sensor (might be good, might not be) for only $20 with free shipping.

2 sensors (1 new & 1 used) for $20 w/ free shipping.

Hold on to those! I need an oem replacement since mine as basically fused to the old OPDA.

Interesting. I bought a 2005 with a blown engine... hole in the block, also needs a/c compressor and power steering pump. I wonder if this is what killed it. It's still sitting, over a year later, waiting for me to figure out what I want to do with it.

Interesting. I bought a 2005 with a blown engine... hole in the block, also needs a/c compressor and power steering pump. I wonder if this is what killed it. It's still sitting, over a year later, waiting for me to figure out what I want to do with it.

It could very well be what ended up blowing it.

I came across this thread and now am concerned. What I think is just the oil pressure sending unit going bad (sometimes shows 0 but usually after eng is warm shows 10 to 15 psi at idle n 40 psi at speed) could be a sign of the OPDA failing? I have a older Wrangler sport though (98) so do I have the same faulty design unit? Eng runs fine n only noise I hear (thinking it's the CAI) is a high pitched whistle around 2700 to 3100 rpm.

Reactions: Forty
I came across this thread and now am concerned. What I think is just the oil pressure sending unit going bad (sometimes shows 0 but usually after eng is warm shows 10 to 15 psi at idle n 40 psi at speed) could be a sign of the OPDA failing? I have a older Wrangler sport though (98) so do I have the same faulty design unit? Eng runs fine n only noise I hear (thinking it's the CAI) is a high pitched whistle around 2700 to 3100 rpm.

You don’t need to worry. Only the 2004-2006 models had the OPDA. Yours being a 1998 won’t be affected at all. Your whistle is likely something entirely different. Maybe something as simple as a u-joint or something drivetrain related.

You don’t need to worry. Only the 2004-2006 models had the OPDA. Yours being a 1998 won’t be affected at all. Your whistle is likely something entirely different. Maybe something as simple as a u-joint or something drivetrain related.
Cool, thank you for quick reply So far aside from an early idle issue the 98 has been running well. The whistle I'm hearing is from the engine as it is rpm related in any gear, since it is stock gearing I've really only hit those rpm's on street in 2wh drive. That's for another thread of course

I bought my 2006 TJ about 4 years ago and the first thing I did was replace the OPDA. It had done 75000ks (I'm in Australia). I have no idea if it was done before I bought it, But it was cheap insurance. I replaced it with the Crown one. This is what the shaft and gear looked like on the old one. If you have an 05 or 06, and haven't replace your OPDA, just do it!

Untitled-1.jpg

I think is just the oil pressure sending unit going bad (sometimes shows 0 but usually after eng is warm shows 10 to 15 psi at idle n 40 psi at speed).

My TJR had the problem of low oil pressure, real slow to build pressure. Then one day, coming off the highway the low oil pressure alarms all went off. Touch the throttle, pressure came up, alarms went off. They said I needed a new oil pump. The dealer quoted about a grand to do it. Of course I'd still have a tired 200KMile engine with a leaky RMS, leaky valve cover, etc. So I priced a new long block from SandJ Engines in Spokane, $1800.00..... Tight, sealed, great compression and a 7 year warranty. All in, new clutch, rad, water pump and a bunch of small parts, $4600.00 including the new long block.

Well worth it. The TJ runs like a new Wrangler. No creep if I park in gear on a steep grade. My bet is you will eventually get the same problem of a worn out oil pump. We tested my oil pressure and the problem was not the sending unit. It was a tired oil pump and mine was/is an '05.

Reactions: Kyle_W and Chris
For anyone who's interested, here's a 1-minute video of the "laughing monkey" squeal of the OPDA gone bad. Looks like you need to listen to location, since a bad serpentine belt idler pulley or belt tensioner can also make a similar squeal, but from the front of the engine.

That DOES sound like a barrel of laughing monkeys. :D

Got the Dorman from Napa installed this morning. Incredibly easy to do save for the damn securing nut being just sort of seized on. Had to use the Dorman CPS too due to the OEM CPS just not coming off.

No more noise! No more check engine light!

Why would it only be for 2005 and 2006's? Chrysler changed the ODPA for the 2005 and 2006 TJ's?