What is the perfect lift height to run 35” tires?

@Eddie Greenlee, try removing tires, disconnecting sway bar links and lower shock mount. Then loosen lower control arms. Put your jack on the opposite side of the axle and jack up till you can get the opposite side to droop enough to remove the spring. If that’s not enough, disconnect track bar. It’s really the only one that can be a pain to line back up after you’re all done.

Loosen the track bar and all links with bushings, as needed. No need to remove anything. Anything with a flex or heim style joint can be left alone.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
think ill try and plan to do this Thursday or Sat. Cold front came through today in Mississippi and its supposed to be 34 degrees in the morning. Ill prob have this computer out there calling or messaging yall. ha

think ill try and plan to do this Thursday or Sat. Cold front came through today in Mississippi and its supposed to be 34 degrees in the morning. Ill prob have this computer out there calling or messaging yall. ha
I've lived in North Dakota (courtesy of the USAF) but I'm not sure I've ever been colder than when I was when stationed in Mississippi when it dropped down into the 30's together with its high humidity. Yowsa it gets cold there! :eek:

Nope. Same rate, Just 1/2" longer free length. This won't translate into a full 1/2" more ride height though. All Currie springs are advertised as either 3 or 4". But there are some "secret" options to fine tune the actual final heights on either end.

17.75", 79lbs/in combined
https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce-9131rh2p

18.25", 79lbs/in combined
https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9131RH3P
Exactly, a 1/2" taller free length doesn't necessarily translate into a 4.5" taller ride height. :)

Reactions: jjvw
Exactly, a 1/2" taller free length doesn't necessarily translate into a 4.5" taller ride height. :)
It doesn't necessarily translate into that but we have all 3 rear springs here most of the time and we dial in ride height up and down as needed by swapping in the various options since the 1/2" taller one would give a normal TJ with stock rear bumper, no back seat and a soft top about 7" of lift over stock.

From the website:

CE-9131RH3P-
These are our optional 4" rear coil springs that are available for use in our Johnny Joint® TJ/LJ suspension system. These springs are 1/2" taller than our standard spring and is most commonly used in LJ (Unilimited) applications or in heavily loaded TJ applications. These springs may also be used in combination with our CE-9131RH2 spring to address vehicle lean issues. These springs are a dual rate with a combined rate of 79lbs. and a free length of 18.25".

I also de-arched the rear springs with my builder taking directions from Mr Blaine reusing stock perches. I aslo needed to add 3/4” rear spring spacer to keep my pig level.

So the lift is probably closer to 4”

3.75 up travel, 4.5” down travel. Well sorted bump stops. Ready to go to Pismo and test on whoops! I like these springs. They soak up small bumps as well as big bumps. They don’t stack too high under compression and extend well so they don’t flop at full extension. I may fine tune ride height with different spacers if I want to bias for more up travel. Once I install my flat fenders I may outboard the shocks allowing for more up travel.

Last edited:
It surely sits a bit lower than it did with the Rubicon Express 5.5” lift springs. Feeling like I’m getting close to the sweet spot where crawling, off-road trails, and on-road manners are blending well together.