What is the purpose of wheel spacers?

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
What is the purpose of wheel spacers? Is there a purpose for them or is it mostly just for looks?

In addition to the above post, the spacers I just took off our Jeep were actually adapters for an alternative bolt pattern to fit a wheel with 5x5" pattern vice the stock 5x4.5".

Reactions: Cornbread
The purpose of wheel spacers is pretty much cosmetic.

While I have nothing against them (and have even run them myself), the proper way to do it is picking a wheel with the correct backspacing.

Probably not what the OP has in mind but if you want to put Jeep wheels on a trailer, spacers are the best way to go. Jeep wheels won't fit over most trailer hubs. They're also needed to deal with the larger back spacing of a Jeep wheel.

15-06-27M 003.jpg

Reactions: Cornbread
Probably not what the OP has in mind but if you want to put Jeep wheels on a trailer, spacers are the best way to go. Jeep wheels won't fit over most trailer hubs. They're also needed to deal with the larger back spacing of a Jeep wheel.

View attachment 125196
I thought about this with my trailer but instead we cut the axle, widened it 5", and moved the spring saddle.

I thought about this with my trailer but instead we cut the axle, widened it 5", and moved the spring saddle.
I've cut up axles to widen or shorten them too … you do what you gotta do to make things fit. 😊 I'm about to buy a 3,500 lb. axle ( https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-500-lb-72-in-trailer-axle-assembly/A-p8186710e ) that has wider spring perches than I need by 2"! ugh. I'll be cutting it down which is more work than I want to do but it's the most cost effective way to go.

Were you able to put Jeep wheels on to your axle? The reason I used spacers is that trailer hubs are almost always a larger diameter than the center hole of a Jeep wheel. Trailer wheels have a larger centre hole and they fit over a trailer hub properly. Spacers also have a large centre hole and they fit over a trailer hub easily as shown in my pic above.

The pic below shows what I mean a bit better. The original trailer wheel fit over the trailer hub. The Jeep wheel would not fit because the centre hole is too small. A 2" spacer solved the problem and also dealt with the larger back spacing of the Jeep wheel. Trailer wheels have a lot less back spacing.

EXP5.jpg

EDIT - Sorry ... I don't mean to make this thread about trailer axles. Spacers have their uses and this is just one of them.