What is the stereo in your TJ? Double, single or maybe basic?

I'm *just* now starting to figure out how to put the pair of single DINs into the double DIN Metra escutcheon. It has some problems, "Standard parts aren't, Interchangeable parts won't." Both the opening and the internal bracket spacing are too narrow to start with. Filing and reaming is going to have to take place...

I have a kenwood stereo with 5 channels run to a 5 channel amp in the back which is then run back up to the front for 2 5.25 speakers in the dash and two 6.5 speakers in the footwells with a 10 inch subwoofer in the back. This was significantly simpler than figuring out what the hell the previous owner did to the wiring harness. The new one wouldn't even turn on and needed some repairs just to get power, ground and on signals.

The new stereo has bluetooth with auto triggers android auto on my phone. Sounds good and works great.

I would not go full replacement if you don't have to. It's a pain

I've posted about this in the What Did You Do to Your TJ thread, but I'll post in a dedicated stereo post for others to see. Since I have the silver center bezel, I didn't want to go double-DIN. And I didn't want a flip up. So I ended up going with a single-DIN 8.8" widescreen floating bezel unit from Joying that met all of my requirements. ......

Do you remember the model number you purchased?

I thought about putting in a double DIN, but people around here are assholes and will break windows/slice tops if they want your stereo. My Jeep isn't my daily driver, and the stock rear speakers were a bit crackly. I opted to get a Sony head unit with bluetooth capability and some Polk Audio marine speakers. It's very clear sounding, was easy to install, and fairly inexpensive. I can take calls if I need to. Not sure why I needed that though, since I doubt anyone could hear me if I'm driving with the top and doors off haha.
IMG-2348.jpg

Do you remember the model number you purchased?

Per my email from Joying it is US-JY-HOS01N4GS-1and it looks like they've updated the page for it, which is located here. Looks like this is only available from their China warehouse right now, which would add to shipping times. Mine arrived in 2 days from California.

Reactions: wigsajumper
Just in case someone missed this in the other thread, here are two single DINs into the double DIN Metra escutcheon:
00.jpg

Its not as straightforward as you'd think, but I was able to get it to work. Before someone asks, the head unit is a Jensen "Heavy Duty" JHD1630B "Mechless" (fancy way of saying no CD), it plays AM/FM/Weather/Geek Stick. No bluetooth, although I think they have a model that has it - as well as models with CD players.

It’s the Metra kit that I got from Crutchfield. I like the bezel but the brackets for mounting the receiver behind the dash were garbage. Much too thin plastic with tons of holes so the brackets kept cracking. Ended up having to use flashing to sandwich the brackets to provide more meat And still be able to use the provided screws
So i have so many questions for you about this i purchased the kits you suggested. its the first time im installing and being up north im running out of warm weather to do so. not sure if this is a direct reply to you but My names Robert and if possible i'd love to ask you questions on the phone. my number is 518 866 3060 im attempting to install this weekend since we got a freak warm streak before the snow. also i like the Cepek Rims on you tj looks great are those 33 x 12.5 or 10.5

• Face Palm
Reactions: Zorba
I went double din, walmart pioneer unit. Also did the 5.25" conversion for front speakers. There are conversion brackets on Amazon and ebay. Install was easy. Take your time and have fun.

My best advice is to avoid Kenwood's single-DIN head units if you don't use it nearly every day. Mine is only used occasionally on the highway when going offroading and when on some parts of some trails. As such I can barely figure out how to use it each time, it takes me a while to re-learn its confusing user interface. If I had my druthers I'd replace it with a bonehead simple model that at least had a USB port. Or maybe I'm just getting old lol.

Reactions: TDB55
My best advice is to avoid Kenwood's single-DIN head units if you don't use it nearly every day. Mine is only used occasionally on the highway when going offroading and when on some parts of some trails. As such I can barely figure out how to use it each time, it takes me a while to re-learn its confusing user interface. If I had my druthers I'd replace it with a bonehead simple model that at least had a USB port. Or maybe I'm just getting old lol.

Kenwood is not that bad at all, if you have questions on the functions we would be happen to help. I have had three Kenwood's in my Jeep and I only upgraded when new Bluetooth technology was released. Functions are generally the same on the models.

Kenwood is not that bad at all, if you have questions on the functions we would be happen to help. I have had three Kenwood's in my Jeep and I only upgraded when new Bluetooth technology was released. Functions are generally the same on the models.
Being "not that bad" is not a good rating for its usability. It wouldn't be "that bad" if I used it every day but it's bad enough that I need to fiddle with it an inordinately period of time if it's been a month or two since I last used it. Technology/user interfaces/software etc. is what I did for my entire career so I'm not a dull boy. But that Kenwood is just overly complex and tries to do too many things with too few knobs & buttons. I felt the same way about a Kenwood 2m hand-held radio I owned/sold and replaced with an ICOM whose user interface was significantly better.

• Love
Reactions: Zorba
Being "not that bad" is not a good rating for its usability. It wouldn't be "that bad" if I used it every day but it's bad enough that I need to fiddle with it an inordinately period of time if it's been a month or two since I last used it. Technology/user interfaces/software etc. is what I did for my entire career so I'm not a dull boy. But that Kenwood is just overly complex and tries to do too many things with too few knobs & buttons. I felt the same way about a Kenwood 2m hand-held radio I owned/sold and replaced with an ICOM whose user interface was significantly better.
I don't know about the referenced Kenwood specifically - but I sure do hear you loud and clear. Usability and UI design seems to have gone out the window in recent decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’ve been considering getting the double din dash but putting in a faceplate then using a marine radio and using the other space for buttons.

something like this

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_020GR1...&awnw=g&awcr=383373421430&awdv=m&awug=9000186
I toyed with that idea as well - and maybe even locate the receiver elsewhere so you'd have more room for CB/Ham/FRS/Buttons/whatever in the double DIN. Might work well - there's no reason a "mechless" receiver has to take up an entire single DIN space. I just plug a geek stick into mine (standard single DIN form factor though) and have all the tunes I want! I see your selection does weather radio too (y). That's a real slick setup - I was listening to my geek stick the other day, and the weather radio interrupted for the weekly test. I didn't know it could interrupt like that in an emergency - it then went back to my current song when the test was done. I was impressed!

+100

The PO had installed a Kenwood single DIN on mine, and I hate it. Its confusing because it doesn't have dedicated transport controls, and uses the radio preset buttons to double as transport controls. I love Kenwood 2-way radios, but not these.

Reactions: TDB55