What is the strangest food you've ever eaten?

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
I work with a large number of Asian folks, and this has allowed me to be introduced to some foods that are a little different than what's typically on any menu I might be familiar with. Now, I will admit that the reason I have tried some of these things is because the gals offering are just so dang cute that I cannot refuse. Therefore, as I sit eating a complete (whole) fried stingray, I decided to ask you all what are some of the stranger foods you have eaten? Thus far, I've had the fried stingray, alligator, boiled pork (which is actually boiled pigs blood, cut into cubes and added to soup), dried cuttlefish, and all manner of dried fish. But my favorite was a payment for a small car repair I did at work: raw jellyfish. Seriously!

So, what have ya got?

as I sit eating a complete (whole) fried stingray

Get the hell out of here. Who yanks a stingray out of the water and fries it whole??!?! Pics please! Do you dip it in ketchup?

I worked in a shop outside of D.C. a couple decades back that was all Thai and Viet dudes. Loved that place, except for when the Viet gal working the cashier desk would randomly bring in a damn durian fruit. Ever heard of it? Google it. It's awful. It's covered in spikes for one, that oughta be one clue right there... Hack it open with some implement and you'll find these gross sacks filled with a kind of beige pudding. These dudes would dig in with a spoon and just love life. The smell? I would describe it as a mix of rotting flesh and propane. This was a large shop, mind you... Had about 30 stalls. The service manager made them cut it open waaaaay in the back away from the customer area of the building. They would break this thing open and non-Asian folks like me would literally vacate the building, it was that bad.

Anyway, one day I decided hell, I'm going to try this durian (the cashier was unbelievably gorgeous BTW). I took a spoonful and it tasted just like smelled, perhaps with a bit of a more gasoline-ish finish. Just awful. I managed to not puke on the shop floor, that's about all I can say.

Broccoli.

Some of the best food I've eaten has been places I've ended up while in the military. Germany, Middle East, Korea. Nothing really weird though (that I knew of, LOL).

Reactions: Squatch
Been some places, ate some things. . . camel (Saudi Arabia), raw goat (Japan), and some mystery land animal meat served covered 1" by plain cooking oil (Pakistan).

Good Lord, hopefully you got a free uniform for that opportunity

Rotton Corn.....its a Maori delicacy here in New Zealand. Traditionally the corn is put in free flowing river for few months to ferment then cooked and eaten like porridge.
Smells like week old nappies...but once you get past the smell its ok....very sweet.
EDIT
* I will add that the smell is soooo bad that allot of Maori people refuse to eat or even try it haha

You folks that live on the coast may know what a teredo is . . . .
They are 'shipworms' . . . in the clam family, they bore into submerged logs and wood.
Small to start, they grow to about 10" in length and about 3/4" diameter.
They are grey and look like a big chunk of snot.
I collected a bunch of them from a broken piling and had them in the fridge.
Buddies came over with tequila and other refreshments . . . .
Took my wife's new deep fryer and we cooked up a batch . . . . Yum !
Can all be blamed on that darn tequila ! ;) :giggle:

Get the hell out of here. Who yanks a stingray out of the water and fries it whole??!?! Pics please! Do you dip it in ketchup?

I worked in a shop outside of D.C. a couple decades back that was all Thai and Viet dudes. Loved that place, except for when the Viet gal working the cashier desk would randomly bring in a damn durian fruit. Ever heard of it? Google it. It's awful. It's covered in spikes for one, that oughta be one clue right there... Hack it open with some implement and you'll find these gross sacks filled with a kind of beige pudding. These dudes would dig in with a spoon and just love life. The smell? I would describe it as a mix of rotting flesh and propane. This was a large shop, mind you... Had about 30 stalls. The service manager made them cut it open waaaaay in the back away from the customer area of the building. They would break this thing open and non-Asian folks like me would literally vacate the building, it was that bad.

Anyway, one day I decided hell, I'm going to try this durian (the cashier was unbelievably gorgeous BTW). I took a spoonful and it tasted just like smelled, perhaps with a bit of a more gasoline-ish finish. Just awful. I managed to not puke on the shop floor, that's about all I can say.

Well, I never said it was a big
stingray... ;)

Fried stingray.jpg

My boss has eaten something that for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called. But it's where you take the stomach from an elk, and bury it to let its contents ferment, and then you ultimately remove the contents and consume it. Now, I'm sorry, but this ol' boy does have his limits! :sick:

Last edited:

By the way, I have been the victim of that damn durian fruit before, at least in regards to having to smell it. And you're right, it is shi-nasty!

• Haha
Reactions: Twopoint