What is this bulb in my taillight for?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I really Hate to ask this!! but my rear lights have 3 bulbs in them so what’s the one on the top right do ??
it’s not brake. Ebrake, running lights , regular lights, Hazard lights ....

FC89D688-F4E0-49BD-BCEE-74AEDA78F9BA.jpeg

So your saying that is a replacement tail light and the extra bulb is basically an accessory power outlet for my electrical trailer hookup ?
and the passenger side more than likely only has 2bulbs ?

No, someone your Jeep dated before you two met used to drag her around behind a motorhome
Instead of wiring the lights correctly they just added a whole extra tail light circuit, your right side most likely has an extra bulb too

It is commend to add a 3rd light bulb in the tail light like that for when towing behind a motorhome. Blue Ox sells a tail light wiring kit (BX8869) so you do not have to cut factory wiring. You should have a plug at the front of the jeep that plugs into the motorhome.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
For informational purposes; the bottom bulb has two filaments. One for brake, one for taillight. The driver side taillight also illuminates the license plate through the clear lens in the bottom of the housing.

No, someone your Jeep dated before you two met used to drag her around behind a motorhome
Instead of wiring the lights correctly they just added a whole extra tail light circuit, your right side most likely has an extra bulb too
Actually many including myself would argue this is the correct way to do it. There is no need to use diodes, no cutting into the Jeep harness with those stupid scotch locks and no chance of draining the Jeep battery on long voyages.

Well the extra bulb is just to one side (driver side), I traced the wires up to the front , inside the engine bay. I’m guessing at one time maybe it was towed behind a RV, because it has a plug on it.
but it makes a mess of wires around the back of the tail light.
thanks

That is what I installed for towing. This will not affect you jeep battery provide lights just like a trailer. I ran my wires from the back through the frame to the front so they would not be damaged when off-roading.