97TJnotstuck

What’s up TJ fans! Newbie here….I was looking over my sons 1997 TJ this afternoon and found this “arm” or “bar” to be broke. What the heck is it? I can’t find it in any diagrams.

E666E1CA-094E-43B2-A47F-40A732D792DA.jpeg

Looks like a track bar drop bracket. Is there also a dropped pittman arm?
Aloha Jablinski.
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression the track bar is located lower. There are two bars connect high on the passenger side and connect to a lower area on the drivers side. I highlighted the bar in red.
4A43E027-4B43-4655-BFFB-ACC3E8E49A30.jpeg

Aloha Jablinski.
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression the track bar is located lower. There are two bars connect high on the passenger side and connect to a lower area on the drivers side. I highlighted the bar in red.
View attachment 267948
The highlighted bar and the one above it are both non-stock support bars for the dropped track bar bracket. Not sure of what the brand that uses those bars is but without a dropped pittman arm to match, that jeep will have bump steer.
I would suggest removing the bracket as opposed to trying to fix the support rod. Also replace the pittman arm with stock if it is a drop. You want the ends of the drag link and the ends of the track bar as close to planed in with each other as possible to avoid bump steer

It's called a kludge. Some dumbass thought he could integrate a mount for what appears to be a track bar brace between the track bar and the factory track bar mount. The main problem with that is it screws up the steering geometry by dropping the driver's side track bar mount so the track bar's operating plane is no longer parallel to the drag link which creates steering problems like bump steer.

I'd remove it and remount the driver's side of the track bar to the factory mount above.

You guys definitely want to remove that mess. Go with a stock pitman arm and the upgraded ZJ steering in the Jeep. It looks like the front end needs a refresh anyways…

Reactions: hear
You guys definitely want to remove that mess. Go with a stock pitman arm and the upgraded ZJ steering in the Jeep. It looks like the front end needs a refresh anyways…
Hey sycboi, do they sell a complete kit somewhere? I have been watching a few videos on YouTube and looks fairly simple. I just want to be sure we get all of the right parts/pieces.

It's called a kludge. Some dumbass thought he could integrate a mount for what appears to be a track bar brace between the track bar and the factory track bar mount. The main problem with that is it screws up the steering geometry by dropping the driver's side track bar mount so the track bar's operating plane is no longer parallel to the drag link which creates steering problems like bump steer.

I'd remove it and remount the driver's side of the track bar to the factory mount above.
Aloha Mr. Jerry.

So, I am going to disconnect all of this, remove that bracket and install the track bar in its original factory setting?

37376877-3E80-4CC6-AFE6-6448597E5090.jpeg

Aloha Mr. Jerry.

So, I am going to disconnect all of this, remove that bracket and install the track bar in its original factory setting?
Jerry already answered and knows more than me, but I'm sure we're all interested to uncover why the PO thought this solution was necessary. But once you get rid of that junk it will be much easier to diagnose any problems.

Regarding the Moog kit sold by o'reilly, can you share the part #? Lots of us have done the ZJ upgrade pieced together with Moog parts, but I'm not aware of a kit other than the Crown kit (which may or may not include Moog parts).

Jerry already answered and knows more than me, but I'm sure we're all interested to uncover why the PO thought this solution was necessary. But once you get rid of that junk it will be much easier to diagnose any problems.

Regarding the Moog kit sold by o'reilly, can you share the part #? Lots of us have done the ZJ upgrade pieced together with Moog parts, but I'm not aware of a kit other than the Crown kit (which may or may not include Moog parts).
Not so much a “kit” but this guy explains it pretty damn well.

Drag link stock-DS1430
ZJ tie rod bar-DS1312
Tie rod sleeves-E2097S
Tie rod-ES3096L
Steering damper-SC2928

I apologize if this is wrong-still super new to the jeep world and still learning. I figured paying 3k for this rig wasn’t so bad and it gives my son and I some bonding time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noreaster1967
Reactions: Vasq
Well I ordered everything off of Amazon. Oriellys was $645.00! Amazon including the new track bar was only $265…just have to wait a week. Gives me more time to apply plenty PB Blaster. Thanks, this was really appreciated.

If you are able to combine shipping, Rock Auto can save you a little more. Which track bar did you buy? Good time to put in an adjustable, if you're lifted of planning to go higher.

The problem is that the factory frame track bar mount is probably drilled out. So you'll have to figure that out too

If you are able to combine shipping, Rock Auto can save you a little more. Which track bar did you buy? Good time to put in an adjustable, if you're lifted of planning to go higher.
Ahhh no, I bought the stock MOOG track bar for the TJ (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5403G/?tag=wranglerorg-20. There is a lift on the jeep, 3” I do believe. Will a stock one work? I was thinking about the pitman arm also; does that need to replaced also?

The problem is that the factory frame track bar mount is probably drilled out. So you'll have to figure that out too
Well damn…you know I was looking at it and thinking about that. What do you think? Hahah I hope this doesn’t turn into a major “why why why”!

E5A6D013-E48F-4CDD-8738-7A8951CCA299.jpeg