This is my 2000 Jeep Wrangler SE 2.5L with 150k miles. Check engine light is not lit and no codes. Oil pressure seems fine and she seems to drive fine. Recently had the exhaust manifold gasket replaced, which solved a lot of noise.

I have a light but fast ticking sound at startup, and after about 1 minute, I get a louder and slower tapping sound. Can you TJ experts help me figure out what the problem is?

video:

I bought a lifter removal tool on Amazon a few days ago and I planned on replacing the lifters tomorrow since it seems to be a common problem. But I wanted to check with you all first so I don’t waste my time if that’s not the problem or if the engine is done for.

Also, I put a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in there and ran it about 100 miles. So far, no change in sound.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I took it to two different shops. One said it was the timing chain, the other said it was the lifters. Timing chain quote was $450, lifters quote was $1,100 (seems way too much for something I can do at home).

Sounds like lifters to me, though it could also be the timing chain. Only way to know for sure is take things apart, otherwise we're just guessing like you are ;)

Sounds like lifters to me, though it could also be the timing chain. Only way to know for sure is take things apart, otherwise we're just guessing like you are ;)
Alright! I'll probably start with the lifters then and see where it goes from there. I watched a video on how to do them, and, thankfully, it seems pretty simple on the 2.5L.

Thanks, Chris!

Lifters most likely. Timing... isn't out of the question. I would say run a little thicker oil if you can so that it sticks to moving parts better.

The AMC blocks are installed at an angle. This isn't that much of an issue unless you consider the condition of the oil pump and pickup. Also the oil galleys and fittings are somewhat restrictive and decrease flow of oil in the block... There's people with more experience than I on this matter, just wanted to share my bit a knowledge.

Alright! I'll probably start with the lifters then and see where it goes from there. I watched a video on how to do them, and, thankfully, it seems pretty simple on the 2.5L.

Thanks, Chris!

No problem! My money is on the lifters, but I'd be curious to see what you find! Keep us posted if you can.

To me it sounds like the timing chain. When mine needed replaced it was much the same, lighter when started, much louder at idle and non existent at speed. The tensioner had failed and the chain was slapping pretty good. It was easier to hear underneath, from atop it sounded like lifters. Mine had 120k or so on the clock when it started. Swapped in new chain and gears. Performance and MPG improved. Wasn’t too onerous a job with the right tools.

If you are having the work performed at a shop, I'd price out a re-manufactured engine installation at the same time. Spending a lot of money on an engine that has already lived most of it's life span may not be the best value for your $$. If you do the work yourself, it is a different comparison scenario. Those freshened 4 bangers are not expensive.

You have a couple distinctly different sounds going on. Hard to tell over the phone, but if you can tear into it with confidence, it's not gonna hurt.

Lifters most likely. Timing... isn't out of the question. I would say run a little thicker oil if you can so that it sticks to moving parts better.

The AMC blocks are installed at an angle. This isn't that much of an issue unless you consider the condition of the oil pump and pickup. Also the oil galleys and fittings are somewhat restrictive and decrease flow of oil in the block... There's people with more experience than I on this matter, just wanted to share my bit a knowledge.
I've heard of people using Lucas Heavy Oil Stabilizer to replace one quart of oil, would this be an alternative to using thicker oil? And if not, what type of oil would you recommend instead of the standard 5w-30 or 10w-30? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm new to this all.

If you are having the work performed at a shop, I'd price out a re-manufactured engine installation at the same time. Spending a lot of money on an engine that has already lived most of it's life span may not be the best value for your $$. If you do the work yourself, it is a different comparison scenario. Those freshened 4 bangers are not expensive.
I plan on doing the lifters myself tomorrow. I might be able to figure out the timing chain myself too (with the right tools), but I'm not sure.. Do you really think that 150k is about the end of the line for the 2.5L? I did just check and find some remanufactured ones that are around $1,700-2,200. I'm guessing another $1,000 in labor? Definitely doable, but I'm wondering if I should just drive the current one until it completely dies and then replace it. Other than it crapping out at an inconvenient time, could that cause any harm?

Also, I took it to two different shops. One said it was the timing chain, the other said it was the lifters. Timing chain quote was $450, lifters quote was $1,100 (seems way too much for something I can do at home).
Sounds like a chain slap to me. Time for new chain and guides.

Shops quote right out of the labor manual for hours plus parts. Prices vary by area but most shops will not overcharge. They go out of business pretty quick if they aren’t honest.

I can’t help but get defensive when I hear people say shops are overcharging. They have to pay overhead and the technician. I’ve run a shop and paid my bills by turning a wrench for almost 30 years. Not too many backyard mechanics could make their house payment working professionally. Yes you can change the lifters but can you do it correctly? Do you have the tools? I have well over $100,000 in tools and I run into a job that requires me to buy another almost daily.

I've got the tools ($8 btw), and we'll find out tomorrow. ;)

Can you have it done by 10am tomorrow? I know I will.

That’s what the customer would ask. 😉

In all seriousness I don’t doubt your ability but the paid mechanic has to do your job and about 8 others that day just to make a living. Shops charge what they do because that’s what the job costs. Please report back and let me know how long it takes you.

150K is not a lot of miles or way too many all depending upon past history. If you know it has been well maintained and operated its whole life, that says a lot. Tests such as oil pressure, vacuum, compression, cylinder leak down tell a better story as well.

Can you have it done by 10am tomorrow? I know I will.

That’s what the customer would ask. 😉

In all seriousness I don’t doubt your ability but the paid mechanic has to do your job and about 8 others that day just to make a living. Shops charge what they do because that’s what the job costs. Please report back and let me know how long it takes you.
Absolutely not... maybe 10 pm though :LOL:

You’re Absolutely right. No doubt a trained professional can do it better and more efficient. and when it comes to things that I cannot or am not willing to do, I have no problem paying a professional, and I understand that *most* charge a fair price.

I’m just looking forward to learning something new. And if I mess it up (hopefully that’s not the case), at least it’s an old engine anyways haha.

and thanks for the input, I am hoping it’s the lifters, but if it’s the chain, I’ll definitely take it in to the shop and let a pro handle it.

Absolutely not... maybe 10 pm though :LOL:

You’re Absolutely right. No doubt a trained professional can do it better and more efficient. and when it comes to things that I cannot or am not willing to do, I have no problem paying a professional, and I understand that *most* charge a fair price.

I’m just looking forward to learning something new. And if I mess it up (hopefully that’s not the case), at least it’s an old engine anyways haha.

and thanks for the input, I am hoping it’s the lifters, but if it’s the chain, I’ll definitely take it in to the shop and let a pro handle it.
I’d rather do the chain than the lifters. It’s an easier job. Less money for parts too. If you can do the lifters you can do the chain and guides no problem. The lifters require adjustment. If not done right you can break a rocker arm or flatten a cam lobe.