What is this extra headlight wiring for?

BluChipz

Hi guys & gals - just opened the account today as I have a headlight issue. I just realized I replied / posted my question to an old discussion. My apologies if this has been asked and answered.

2004 Wrangler Sport : Passenger headlight shows corrosion in the connector / wires. To boot getting the connector off broke a post on that headlight. Replaced the headlights, got some Dorman connectors with leads and the meat of my question is this.
The passenger side headlight harness has 2-red / 2-stripped & the 1-black yet on the drivers side there is only one of each. The Dorman replacements fit fine but have just 3 leads...red-blue-black. How do I account for the "extra" wires and what are they for? Thank you much.

Be Easy - Blu

The extra wires connect the headlights together. One of the passenger red wires is power going in, the other is power going to the driver side. Same with the other pair. They both need to be connected as they were.

Reactions: Fonz54
Thanks for the quick reply and I suspected this so thank you very much for the confirmation. I'm not able to connect them as they were I don't think. The replacement connector sockets I got are these.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p.../5760056-P?searchTerm=dorman headlight socket
Would I be able to resolve this issue with these or do I need something else and if so what would that something else be. Would I just put them both into one butt connector and then that to the one red lead coming from the new socket / connector?

*not sure why the link shows down for maintenance but it does work..lol*

Thanks -Blu

Last edited:
You can connect them. Just carefully take a few pictures so you don't mess up where the wires came from. Get some butt connectors and a crimping tool. Cut the old ones off and crimp on the new ones. I'm sure your local auto parts or hardware store can help you with the correct stuff if you need help. Two wires in one side of a butt connector and one out to the new headlight connector is no problem.

Ok cool. I just didn't want to throw them both in one end of the butt connector if they had to be somewhat separate as it appeared in the old factory connector / socket. Thank you so very much for quick and courteous replies. Love the place so far.

Be Easy - Be Well
-Blu

I am having the same issue as you are. as far as old wires and harnesses... Glad I'm not alone. And thank you for posting, it was hell trying to find any info on this wiring setup / issue.

Does anyone know what this extra connector on the driver-side headlight housing is for? It looks like an open-ended pigtail. See the picture attached.

IMG-4100.jpg

No. The fog lights have different connectors which are attached to the marker/turn signals. Only the driver side has this open-ended connector, there is none on the passenger side. I am just curious to find out what it's purpose?

If you look in the front of your grill, there is a engine temp sensor on one side. The other side has a bracket for another temp sensor (for a temp/compass mirror). IIRC, they tuck the harness in behind the headlight.

If you look in the front of your grill, there is a engine temp sensor on one side. The other side has a bracket for another temp sensor (for a temp/compass mirror). IIRC, they tuck the harness in behind the headlight.
Thanks. I will take a look at it tomorrow. Also, the connector has a Christmas tree push clip but I could not find a spot where it would be hooked onto. I guess if it is needed for the second sensor then it would have to be moved out of the headlight housing close to the other temp sensor and secured using the push clip?