What is this Jeep worth?

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
So I have been thinking about getting this Jeep. Just for a toy type thing, meaning not in a huge hurry to get it up and running, just to putter on it here and there. I would probably rarely drive it do to the tires, I would want to keep this look and not sure if one could buy tires like this new?? Anyway, would probably be driven close to home and maybe to a show if I ever found any around my parts. LOL

The lady that owns it is the one that gave me my Jeepster. I want to be fair to her on a price. I also don't want to make a low ball offer. She is a good friend of my husbands so I don't want to try to get one over on her. In fact, I will probably be showing this post to her, just so she can see what people think it would be worth in it's current condition.

With that being said, these are the only pics I have of it. I didn't take pics of the frame, so lets just consider that to be in ok condition. I'm guessing it doesn't run, from the looks of the engine compartment. So give me what you think it is worth just by these pics. Oh, and I'm not sure what year it is, but I think she has paperwork to it. I vaguely remember them talking it about it last time we were there and if I remember right I think 48 was what was said?
S%4taQJtT8aKCCXUk7waCQ.jpg
PN744ohaR4qKv8x14oNSww.jpg
I4rPkAvLRaGDqlwEGssvmA.jpg
EM%h7JJGQYmt0I3CPqJ1+A.jpg
OzgJdukUTmuMw6KQU8MgCA.jpg
vufzTHnSQ4GJKPR+BSQtKg.jpg
fVo42pzbSyONGmDLSeQPlA.jpg
CMj9GKVNQiShcRS9Ow4XrA.jpg
JRl%GY23SBOUQbo87WvHyg.jpg
NrCpwVikRcWYWsZUZRdQ9Q.jpg

That's a great looking survivor of sorts. I have no idea what that's worth but the CJ-2 was made from 1945 until 1949 and the CJ-3A was made from 1949 until 1953. They are almost exactly the same. The easiest way to tell is the CJ-2A had a divided windshield that was a little shorter in height when up than the CJ-3A. Just something to know about if/when you are looking to replace it.

The roll bar was added by someone for some reason. It looks like a decent made roll bar but I'm not sure I'd keep it on there.

Here's a drawing of what it probably looked like when new.
Willys Jeep CJ2A [LIMITED to 500px].jpg

You still have the storage pocket for the soft top bars above the fuel filler, the one to the rear is missing.

The rear wheels are from an M151. I'd replace them with the correct solid wheels when I got some new tires. Or maybe you want to do a restomod and get two more M151s, just make sure they fit over the front locking hubs before you buy any more.

And here's one place to get tires. Coker Tire They will allow you to get that safely up to it's top speed, which may not be fast enough to get on the freeway.

Do you know what this Jeep was used for and how long it's been sitting?

Whatever is mounted on the back has some association with a three point hitch and the PTO. Whatever it is, it looks to be fairly new like the coil and the fuel filter under the hood. I'd try to turn that engine over with a wrench and if it did, a battery and a gas can feeding that filter would be in short order.

I can't really say how long it has been sitting. I know at least 3 years because the husband passed away that long ago. I'm sure it sat longer then that though because he was a hoarder and he has make shift sheds FULL of junk that keeps that Jeep from going anywhere. LOL We will have to empty a 20x20 shed in order to get it out of where it sits.

I'm also not sure of all the details on it as far as when and where he got it or what he did with it, besides park it then burry it. LOL

I'm not sure when we will be going back up that way to work on getting it out, but figured I would get a rough idea what it would be worth so I could make her an offer, if I decided to get it. I really need another project like I need a hole in my head, but I just love the looks of it and think it would be fun just to have. Heck, I may even just put it in the yard as yard art LOL.

They are about $10K in good running condition out here with no rust, like a restored vehicle with good paint and almost completely stock. $3-5K if it is complete but needs some work. Under $1K if it's rusted out. Under $1K would not insult the owner in my book. Assuming the frame is not a total loss is probably a mistake. You have to put eyes on it because it has a large impact on the cost and time it will take to put that thing back into service. Just like a TJ, rust is a big deal.

If you want to drive one, buy one somebody else has already completed. You will be way ahead unless you just want the project.

They are about $10K in good running condition out here with no rust, like a restored vehicle with good paint and almost completely stock. $3-5K if it is complete but needs some work. Under $1K if it's rusted out. Under $1K would not insult the owner in my book. Assuming the frame is not a total loss is probably a mistake. You have to put eyes on it because it has a large impact on the cost and time it will take to put that thing back into service. Just like a TJ, rust is a big deal.

If you want to drive one, buy one somebody else has already completed. You will be way ahead unless you just want the project.

Thanks for that info. That is great!!

Yah, I'm not to concerned about driving it right away. Just thought it would be a fun project. Like you say though, depends on the frame. If the frame is toast I probably would pass on it, although, it would still make a cute yard art thing. LOL Like I have room in my yard. LOL

I wanna know what that quick hitch on the back was for. Was he running a plow on the back. Lol

With him it is hard to say. Like I said, he was a hoarder, so he probably got that piece on the back for free and figured out a way to attach it to the Jeep, just because he could. LOL

Been a while on this thread, right? LOL

We went back to where the Jeep is at this last weekend and good news, hubby found the windshield! :D

46CB33E3-021E-448B-91B1-843B78131D6C.jpeg
08F07170-9B30-4A3D-8E95-3E310DAAF7D1.jpeg

We also just got back from talking to the owner and my hubby and I got the impression that she may just give the Jeep to me. Time will tell.

So far the plan is to bring the Jeep back the next time we go up there to do some major clean up.

Been a while on this thread, right? LOL

We went back to where the Jeep is at this last weekend and good news, hubby found the windshield! :D

View attachment 262291View attachment 262292

We also just got back from talking to the owner and my hubby and I got the impression that she may just give the Jeep to me. Time will tell.

So far the plan is to bring the Jeep back the next time we go up there to do some major clean up.
Good "FREE" things come to those who wait lol
I'd love to see you both get stuck into this project