Tj04

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all, I have a 2004 wrangler. My Anti drain back valve on my fuel pump went bad so I am replacing my fuel pump with a Bosch one as per many recommendations on this and other Jeep forums.

When I was dropping the gas tank I stupidly didn't notice one line connected to a small white valve in between the pump assembly and the filler intake.

It snapped the end off the valve and I can't find what it is called. I called Jeep dealership and spoke with a technician and a pets dealer and gave them all the numbers on the thing and nothing came up. the guy thought he knew what I was talking about, and they said "it has no part number" and "it is only available as a set with the fuel lines for $299".
IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2413.JPG

For less than that price I could just buy a used gas tank!

What is this small white valve in between the fuel tank filler intake and the fuel pump? It looks like it is a breather vent but I am not sure. Any part numbers or anything is much appreciated.

And how can I remove it? It doesn't twist out and trying to pry it out has broken it, which is fine since I'm replacing it.

Could not find this on any wrangler forum or pirate forum. Was able to find a few things on YJ gas tanks but I don't think they are the same. And of course the 97-02 gas tank is differnt than the 03-04 and the 05-06 is changed again just to make life difficult.

(Yes I am buying new straps and I am missing one of the plastic supports.)

Help!

Thanks!

My 05 looks different but I would guess some sort of vent/vapor return. It may not even be replaceable. Many times they are plastic welded/bonded to the tank itself.

My 05 looks different but I would guess some sort of vent/vapor return. It may not even be replaceable. Many times they are plastic welded/bonded to the tank itself.
Haha damnit! Well if it isn't replaceable I'll keep prying on it. It's strange, I broke part of the top off and it has what looks like threads underneath but it does not unscrew and I still cannot get it to pop out. It honestly seemed like it was kinda clipped in and if I pried the edges it would pop out. You might be right about it not being replaceable... :BangHead:
Well you learn fast what not to do when you break things.

If anyone can confirm that that part is or is not replaceable that would be great.

Last edited:
Instead of prying and possibly breaking could
You take a fuel hose that would fit and make a small hose to go on it...does that make sense at all I'm tired and ya way to early lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instead of prying and possibly breaking could
You take a fuel hose that would fit and make a small hose to go on it...does that make sense at all I'm tired and ya way to early lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
unfortunately the part was already Doomed before I started the thread, I had snapped a good chunk of it off the top where the numbers are hoping it just popped out.

I don't know much about fuel systems but I feel cramming a fuel line back on there would just cause problems, especially using a smaller diameter hose to fit inside. But what do I know.

I ended up ordering a new gas tank from a donor Jeep for $150 so oh well. I am still curious if the part is removable and what it is called.

My guess is a check valve for the fuel vapor return system that feeds fuel vapor to the evap canister or back to the intake manifold.