What is this plug / cover for? Does it need to be there?

So your argument against those holes as mounting points is that the body is carried another way at one point during assembly?

Not arguing, showing how the assembled body is lowered on the frame. Drain holes was just a guess

Jerry did mention that Jim Repp told him what that hole was for. I can't imagine Jim would lie about it.

Totally agree, as earlier stated it appear that one place they were used was in the welding of the body together which is part of the manufacturing process.

Before you said you guessed they were drain holes. You suddenly became an expert on what they can't be. 🤣

Nope just guessed wrong, and nope just did some easy research that clearly shows how the jeeps were assembled which you could have done yourself, or given your buddy a call to ask him were in the manufacturing process they were used instead of giving out some bad info.

YES, YES you get it, the tub is EMPTY, the sides are being welded on, no other weight in the tub at all
Uhh... what? You claimed the holes were for drainage, and that they couldn’t possibly be to support the tub, which is what other posters suggested that you disagreed with. In this video, the tub is being supported by those ports while it’s at a manufacturing station. I don’t really understand your argument here.

Reactions: LJGreg
You can also see mirrors, lights, doors, and I think seats in the tub. Pretty much the opposite of EMPTY.

You need to look again, when the tub is welded together there is nothing in the tub, nothing. The picture from the assembly line, where they are lifting the ASSEMBLED tub on the frame it is lifted from the underside.

Uhh... what? You claimed the holes were for drainage, and that they couldn’t possibly be to support the tub,

Then I said I was wrong on the draining, and I went and did some RESEARCH because I was curious and found out at least one place they seem to be used (not during vehicle assembly)

That is the Toledo Assembly line, I find it hard to belive that the sheet metal will support the body of a jeep in that location,
Refering to the picture in the post above that comment, but to clarify:

I know they did not use them to lift an assembled jeep body during the vehicle assembly process or the paint process.

So in summery It was a wrong guess for the drain holes.
The hole are not used to assemble and complete jeep body to the frame (see picture in previous post).
They look to be used during the welding process (see the History of the Jeep Facotry), which makes sense and the video shows that and is part of the manufacturing process just as Jerry stated.

I removed the fender flares and found this tape like stuff covering some of the larger holes. There was also a hole where the tape cover came off? What is it and do i need to make sure these holes are covered?View attachment 115018View attachment 115019

Cover them up, leave them open, fill them in and paint to match surrounding area I don't think it matters much at ALL, just depend on how you want that section of body to look. . Whether they were for welding, support,fabrication,drainage or lubrication. All that was done what 20yrs ago? No one will ever use them again for what they were originally intended for evidently since there is no need for them now whatever there original purpose may have been.

I filled and painted mine. OR maybe mine was the only one manufactured without them and they hand et my tub onto my chassis?

Nah, I filled them. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

Reactions: TRUFORD
What is it and do i need to make sure these holes are covered?

Honestly now after typing that I thought about if I see someone with theirs uncovered like that all out in the open I should take a piece of painters tape and black sharpie and label it "Mobile Glory Hole" . :cool:

Or I should've just left mine and like glued a little troll or similar inside the hole looking out like that was his home. Imagine the look on someone's face sitting at a light bored in traffic if they looked over and noticed a lil whatever looking back at them from that hole. :ROFLMAO:

Honestly now after typing that I thought about if I see someone with theirs uncovered like that all out in the open I should take a piece of painters tape and black sharpie and label it "Mobile Glory Hole" . :cool:

Or I should've just left mine and like glued a little troll or similar inside the hole looking out like that was his home. Imagine the look on someone's face sitting at a light bored in traffic if they looked over and noticed a lil whatever looking back at them from that hole. :ROFLMAO:

I think I may steal the little troll idea

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
I think I may steal the little troll idea

Find you one like this who likes to take the Jeep out also. Looks like you may have to trim off one ear and some scarf to get him in that hole if I remember the hole right. Cause it looks like his head is around 5cm wide. Hell I might drill mine back out just to mess with people, easy enough to fix again. 🤔

il_794xN.1784453178_m31v.jpg
original.jpg