What is this thing?

Kevlarr

TJ Enthusiast
doing the tear down for my turbo and getting a good look at my engine. Wondering what the hell this Matrix looking f’in thing is?!?! Do I need it what the hell does it do? If I remove it is Me Anderson going to show up and take me away???

doing the tear down for my turbo and getting a good look at my engine. Wondering what the hell this Matrix looking f’in thing is?!?! Do I need it what the hell does it do?
My crystal ball is down for upgrades, you're gonna have to post a pic of it for anyone to figure out what you're asking about.

crystal_ball.jpg

all i know is its for emissions. but im sure someone else is more knowledgeable and can provide you with a better explanation than i would be able to lol. i see a purge valve, leak detector, detector filter and the evap canister.

Last edited:
What the hell... I've never seen a TJ with an evap canister in that location before. I thought they were behind the passenger side rear wheel well?

That's where mine is....
2000 Sahara

I've only ever owned 2005 models. On the 05-06 models it's not there, it's behind the rear passenger wheel well. I guess I just learned something new today!

I've only ever owned 2005 models. On the 05-06 models it's not there, it's behind the rear passenger wheel well. I guess I just learned something new today!
I'm not 100% sure but I think they did that change in either 03 or 04.

The evap canister (otherwise known as a charcoal canister) is an emissions control so instead of venting the raw hydrocarbon gas vapors from the gas tank into the atmosphere, it collects them and meters them into the engine to be burned instead. If you remove it you will get a check engine light for an evap code.

edit: and DrDmoney has beat me to it. Yes, if you wanted to relocate it you could. The plus side of having it under the hood is it's less prone to fouling and plugging from dirt and gravel dust. Seen plenty of evap canisters under vehicles at the rear plugged up from owners that live on gravel roads.