What is this?

It had been 50 years (college) since I last heard Occam's Razor term used. Blaine you never cease to amaze me lol.
The simplest answer is almost always the correct one. In this case, are any of you aware of any way you could drive that rig without the bushing or some other retention method for a year? Especially given the fact that we all agree that the first indication of the missing bushing is that the rig is un-drivable?

Maybe some clarification from the OP is in order?

Out of curiosity, how many reports of this failure have you heard of? If you even pay a modicum of attention, it is fairly prevalent and so much so that the repair and where to get the part is very common knowledge.

So, simple question for you or anyone else that cares to answer. What is the very first indicator that the repair is needed?
Flamer!

Reactions: JP98
Out of curiosity, how many reports of this failure have you heard of? If you even pay a modicum of attention, it is fairly prevalent and so much so that the repair and where to get the part is very common knowledge.

So, simple question for you or anyone else that cares to answer. What is the very first indicator that the repair is needed?
Damn if I had just gotten a jeep and had a failure and had not been a troll on multiple forums for a long time. I may have missed this. Or if I had a manual tranny and never bothered to watch every post about automatics I may have missed this oh so obvious point. Give the guy a break guru!

Reactions: JP98
I'd guess them there phrophets never tempered any steel to make it tougher. Near miraculous changes in metal and attitudes can be accomplished with a judicious application of flame. What doesn't respond well to flame are snowflakes. Try as I might, I've never been able to get any of them little shits to stay frozen in the presence of a good flame.
My point was that there is no need to be snotty or superior to someone who posted. Flaming serves no purpose other than to show off or demean. If that is welcome here — good bye!

Reactions: JP98 and DC0046
This is a great reason to have a drink tonight. (Not that I need a great reason)

You have my head spinning......thinking about ordering a case of those bushings :)
My point was that there is no need to be snotty or superior to someone who posted. Flaming serves no purpose other than to show off or demean. If that is welcome here — good bye!
I think you are misinterpreting. I'm not condoning the flaming of the ignorant as an exercise in arrogance, I'm simply offering up that the other side of flaming is trying to figure out when you're being trolled. A lot of times some things don't add up. Not sure this is one of those times but the info being related certainly lacks a bit of sense.

Reactions: Stinger
Sorry Blaine maybe I did misinterpret. I ran Black Bear pass last spring with an "expert" wheeler with whom we both have had experience. He had this same failure on a critical switchback and it was so extreme I had to maneuver Stinger on several multipoint turns to get behind him to secure a winch line to keep his jeep from going over a LONG drop. He fixed it with zip ties, duct tape, spit, and a hope! If this "highly experienced" wheeler had never heard of this failure how could some commoner?
My whole point is, don't pick on the kid trying to learn! Ya I know, but try to be nice. Remember I was was chief of the sex crimes unit. If I can be nice so can you!

Reactions: Chris and JP98
It happens enough that I carry a spare bushing for the shifter cable where it attaches to the transmission. The indication that repair is needed is pretty simple, the transmission won't shift.
Jerry I am suprised that you and anyone else has not permantly fixed that problem with a metal stud and fixation device of choice.. This is a stupid design error!

Learned this bushing lesson yesterday when I got stuck at the dump . . . instead of getting a new bushing I would like to just bore the linkage and bolt it; any advice on getting to the back nut to loosen the linkage arm, it just spins . . .

LJ Tranny Shifter.jpg