What is wrong with me?

B B

Explain to me why a person with zero mechanical ability feels the need to buy a "project" Jeep? LOL

Okay, I can answer the question. A farmer buddy of mine was cleaning up his pops yard and pulls a YJ out of a LARGE pile of junk. I happen to see it while out checking traps and asked him about it. He says it's goin to the scrap yard. Long story short I tell him I'll buy it let me know what ya want for it. A couple weeks later he calls me and says, "Give me $400." Okay buddy I'll be over to get it. Went and picked her up yesterday. He didn't know what year it is or how long it's been sitting. He's gonna dig out the title this week.

Frame is surprisingly solid with no rust and floor pans are still there! Over all my amateur eye tells me this YJ is in pretty good shape... considering. I cleaned her up a little today and she's in the garage now probably praying for a miracle. And yes I put my utility trailer tires on it. LOL

Wish me luck!

IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0041.jpg IMG_0042.jpg

Very cool junk pile find! Dave and I have a similar story and got a yj for 300.00. But we didn’t get lucky on the rust end of things. But it runs like a top!

And I can relate to taking on a project with no experience. I bought my TJ and heard myself telling the guy it will be my project . Well, 10 months later, I know more about Jeeps and mechanics than I ever thought I would. There’s a lot of info out there so no reason you can’t learn. As long as you have the space, time, and tools, enjoy the process.

This forum generally focuses on TJS, but there are sub sections to ask yj questions, and I’m sure others have owned, or currently own a yj. I’d love to follow your adventure seeing we will be taking a look at our yj in the next 6 months. Welcome!

Sweet Islander! I know a guy with a bunch of YJ parts (frame off that he lost interest in) so if you need anything, let me know. I know he has a complete engine with FI sitting there with a transmission. The T-Case is blown up though.

Reactions: StG58 and B B
Hard top and doors are worth a grand alone on that thing.

That's exactly what I told him. When I told him I'll buy it he asked what's it worth. I couldn't BS him he's been letting me hunt and trap his properties for 15 years. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Nice find!! Also nice mouse nest in the intake! I hate mice. Hopefully they didn't chew through any wiring insulation.
I should loan you my black tomcat, he has a theme song:
"Love to eat them mousies,
Mousies what I love to eat.
Bite they little heads off,
Nibble on they tiny feet!"

Reactions: JMT, B B and StG58
Sweet! Thats a great project, love the old YJs. I had the 258 in my CJ, and there are plenty of really easy upgrades to really wake up that old inline 6. Keep an eye on Craigslist for an old Motorcraft 2100 carb (1.08 Venturi model) for a great replacement for the stock carb.

Reactions: B B
I was thinking about mice and bugs as well. You might want to thing twice about parking it in the garage for now. I'm sure you don't need any new roommates. :)

Kinda thought about that after it was in the garage. Would you believe there wasn't one mouse house on the inside? Not even a single turd! Carpet wasn't chewed at all and no critters in the glove box. In the dash is to be determined. I power washed and cleaned under the hood and the underside with simple green so hopefully they get the hint. A few more mice in the garage will never hurt that bad. LOL

I had an 87 islander for a few eeeks before I traded it on. 97 to, Soos that and bought a 2000 Tj, trader that for another to and then sold that to buy a house, three more tj later and I have my 06 lj rubi

Reactions: JMT
BB, we are all getting excited and anxious rooting for your success :dancer2:
I suggest you make a to-do list with a beer-head (I mean gear-head) buddy.... dismantle every thing that is bolted and restore it back meticulously :deal: :icon_writing:
Lot's of elbow beer (I mean grease).... now let the fun begins !!!!!:beer-toast1:

Reactions: B B and KCsTJ
Tj2 thanks for positive vibes! Me and my brother started digging in and I’m glad to report she’s not seized up and should be running soon. Had a little delay in the action me and the old lady went away for a few days now we’re getting pummeled with ice and snow. I’ll be spending tomorrow pulling limbs off the house and running the saw some. Then back into the garage.

Oh and the last trip to the garage we were joined by our good friend Jamison