What is wrong with my thermostat?

ivarr

so for 3 years now my engine light comes on when it starts getting cold and throws a p0128 code. but every spring it stops and i go through the entire summer with no check engine light annoying me.
{{ EDIT: correlates with starting or stopping use of the heat for the change in seasons. }}
i dutifully change the damn thermostat every year, last year i even wired in a new sending unit plug just in case. and last week the thing started it again. yes i can make it through life clearing the codes every few days, but i'd rather know what the hell is going on.

Have you done a heater core flush and cooling system cleaning? You'd be shocked at the crap that comes out of both the heater core and block. Many years ago now, but I had a similar issue where crap in the cooling system would stick the thermostat. I've used this a couple times recently and it helps to effectively clean out rust.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R74I5UY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you have access to an OBDII reader, what is the coolant temperature after fully warmed up?

Multiple thermostats throwing the code seems to point to wiring, you might start with all the ground cables including the battery terminals. They should be really close to perfect. I guess flushing couldn't hurt but I'd personally be looking at wiring.

Reactions: Irun
Are you using the exact same thermostat brand and model number each time you change it? If so, what brand and model is that? Is it a "fail-safe" model?

195 degree stants , haven't checked model #'s .
never have the bleeder hole. dash temp gauge is always with in range.

That is a good thermostat. I replaced the original one with a Stant at about 170K or so when the rad blew. Now at 230K.

If the gauge is reading 210 or so, that is where it should be.

Have you checked to see if your fan clutch has seized?