What is your favorite cheap liquor?

@voodooridr ohhh, I see. I misread your post. šŸ˜‚ Without the period after "Flamethrower", I thought you meant it was Jack Daniel's version of Fireball.

I have to start blending or ordering it as a cocktail because that sugar laden drink can be a bitch if you actually get drunk on it straight. Something Ive not done, yet.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
@voodooridr ohhh, I see. I misread your post. šŸ˜‚ Without the period after "Flamethrower", I thought you meant it was Jack Daniel's version of Fireball.

I have to start blending or ordering it as a cocktail because that sugar laden drink can be a bitch if you actually get drunk on it straight. Something Ive not done, yet.
I will usually limit myself to one, AKA, a large one at the end of the night sometimes...too much sugar especially for a type 2 diabetic. I also don't keep it here in NY only in the PA house to limit my usage.

I'm in a "Whiskey of the Month" club (my Xmas gift from family usually), have a dozen "small batch" bottles in the cabinet, and have my "go to's", but sometimes I really just crazy the cheap simplicity of Jim Bean šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
you guys are manlier than me. Get to about $100/bottle and I can get through enough of it to at least recognize that one bourbon tastes different than another...but it's still not enjoyable, so I stick to beer. My grandpa was probably right with all that chest hair talk, because I have like 15 of them.

My cheap beer of choice is Coors Banquet. I'll go for Budweiser if that's what's available. The "Lite" stuff is too light on flavor. My usual go-to's are Scottish Ale/wee heavy, irish reds, porters and stouts.

you guys are manlier than me. Get to about $100/bottle and I can get through enough of it to at least recognize that one bourbon tastes different than another...but it's still not enjoyable, so I stick to beer. My grandpa was probably right with all that chest hair talk, because I have like 15 of them.

My cheap beer of choice is Coors Banquet. I'll go for Budweiser if that's what's available. The "Lite" stuff is too light on flavor. My usual go-to's are Scottish Ale/wee heavy, irish reds, porters and stouts.
I like beer, especially stouts and darker brews, but beer doesn't like me... two beers and I feel like garbage.

Liquor doesn't get to me ever really (I thank my Italian and Russian genes for that!) and having been drinking it long enough, I can usually tell which bottle my wife pours from 99 out of 100 times. Whiskey is kinda like wine. You can spend a lot of $$ to never tell the difference over a $10 bottle. It takes a lot of "practice" and even then, a lot of folk can't tell the differences. I'm good with whiskey but don't have nearly as advanced a palate with other liquors. My brother in law on the other hand can smell the differences in tequila from a half-block away.

I like beer, especially stouts and darker brews, but beer doesn't like me... two beers and I feel like garbage.

Liquor doesn't get to me ever really (I thank my Italian and Russian genes for that!) and having been drinking it long enough, I can usually tell which bottle my wife pours from 99 out of 100 times. Whiskey is kinda like wine. You can spend a lot of $$ to never tell the difference over a $10 bottle. It takes a lot of "practice" and even then, a lot of folk can't tell the differences. I'm good with whiskey but don't have nearly as advanced a palate with other liquors. My brother in law on the other hand can smell the differences in tequila from a half-block away.
I like the hazy, juicy IPA'a for beer. All Whiskey/Bourbon tastes the same to me...all bad. I have a friend that has 40 different rye/whiskey/bourbon in his basement bar....I go for the vodka/diet cokesšŸ„“

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p
I like the hazy, juicy IPA'a for beer. All Whiskey/Bourbon tastes the same to me...all bad. I have a friend that has 40 different rye/whiskey/bourbon in his basement bar....I go for the vodka/diet cokesšŸ„“

oh you're one of those :ROFLMAO:

I can't stand the hops arms race that the IPA brewers have been on for the past 10 years. Nothing drives me crazy like walking into a taproom and seeing the menu board list nothing but 12 different IPAs. If I liked that flavor I'd go eat a pine cone. One could guess from my previous post that I like stuff on the malty side. šŸ»

I can't stand the hops arms race that the IPA brewers have been on for the past 10 years. Nothing drives me crazy like walking into a taproom and seeing the menu board list nothing but 12 different IPAs. If I liked that flavor I'd go eat a pine cone. One could guess from my previous post that I like stuff on the malty side. šŸ»
I agree on the pine cone taste some have, but the ones I drink have some fruit notes and not over the top in hops. Stores around here are about 70% IPS/stout types, 20% of all the new spiked seltzers and 10% for the normal stuff we grew up with 7+ years ago. I still remember when Ice and dry beers where the thing. I always thought the next step was going to be dry ice beers.. šŸ¤”

Kirkland brand Vodka. $12.99 for a 1.75 liter bottle at Costco. Their house brand scotch is serviceable at $17.99 for 1.75L.

Drink the second after the good stuff if its a heavy night with friends.

The bourbon is normally Jim Beam.

The Costco vodka is surprisingly good. Store it in the freezer if you drink it straight.

I agree on the pine cone taste some have, but the ones I drink have some fruit notes and not over the top in hops. Stores around here are about 70% IPS/stout types, 20% of all the new spiked seltzers and 10% for the normal stuff we grew up with 7+ years ago. I still remember when Ice and dry beers where the thing. I always thought the next step was going to be dry ice beers.. šŸ¤”

I know the west coast brewers are more guilty of that, and the east coast IPA's do have more character. I don't know if the ones in this part of the country are more like east or west, because I don't want to spend $7 on a beer that at very best will be at the highest possible amount of hops that I find drinkable, let alone a 6 pack of them. I don't trust the "pick 6" mix and match stuff that some stores let you do, because a lot of it has been sitting for months or more, maybe refrigerated, maybe not.

Old Bardstown is my go to "cheap" whiskey. It comes from the Willet distillery. I pay $18/bottle at my local store. Buffalo Trace used to be my go to until it became hard to find and stores started charging over $30/bottle when I was paying $22.

Old_Bardstown_Bourbon_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_5467.JPG

I'm with you there - my buddy from HS has a small brewery here in PA (https://www.facebook.com/lastminutebrewing for those interested). I love going there as the atmosphere is great, I see lots of old friends, and the food trucks that show up are awesome - but it's all IPA this, sour that, and light beer nonsense.

All my PA buddies pretend that east coast IPA's are brewed with some grandmaster formula that somehow the folks brewing IPAs on the west coast haven't tried yet, but they're just as awful. I tried a handful, even had a few flights, giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they all taste like you're chewing on a flower while drinking a sip of Everclear that was spiked with Pine Sol... :ROFLMAO:

Old Bardstown is my go to "cheap" whiskey. It comes from the Willet distillery. I pay $18/bottle at my local store. Buffalo Trace used to be my go to until it became hard to find and stores started charging over $30/bottle when I was paying $22.

View attachment 293778

I loved Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig when they were a deal a few year's ago. Prices have blown up since the damn hipsters discovered bourbon

• Haha
Reactions: voodooridr and pc1p
Bulleit 95 Rye is my go-to. I tend to like the added bite in the rye as compared to their straight bourbon. About $45 for 1.75L.

Reactions: Sancho
Kirkland brand Vodka. $12.99 for a 1.75 liter bottle at Costco. Their house brand scotch is serviceable at $17.99 for 1.75L.

Drink the second after the good stuff if its a heavy night with friends.

The bourbon is normally Jim Beam.

The Costco vodka is surprisingly good. Store it in the freezer if you drink it straight.
Have it all the time, costco around here says it is basically Tito's? I had 18 bottles dropped off about 6 weeks ago at my house, down to 1 now. The next step up at Costco is the tall bottle that is Grey Goose.