What is your favorite modification?

Oh man, that's a really, really tough one. I'm going to have to say it's a toss up between my Revolution 4.88 gears (which really brought the power band to where it should be) or the Vanco 16" big brake kit.

Reactions: Sasquatchewan
I did the rear brake drum to disc conversion with Grand Cherokee components and having a reliable parking brake has been a pleasure.

Reactions: Chris
Jim, how hard was it?

I did a bit of prep ahead of time which made the actual conversion easy. I started by fabricating a mount for the GC brake hose which was a piece of flat steel about 1"x2" which I drilled and tapped then welded to the tabs on the lower shock mount. This allowed the brake hose mount to bolt right up in the correct position with the banjo located in the correct orientation for the caliper. Beyond that the actual conversion was pretty straight forward. Open the differential cover and pop the axle C clips to remove the axels, then remove the old drum components and E-brake cable. The rest is pretty much a bolt up except for cutting and flairing the brake lines and I had to play around with the connection with the main E-brake cable connection up where the adjuster is. I wound up just removing the spacer clip at the main adjuster and the GC cables fit very nicely. I think the whole conversion ran about 6 hours. I did de-rust and paint all the old GC components ahead of time and I used new rotors and calipers. (I used the old GC calipers as a core)

Last edited:
Conversion from the 5-speed to the 32RH automatic, and the conversion from f/r Truetracs to f/r lockers. Everything else pales in comparison. :)

Reactions: Serbonze
3 speed auto... drive is direct. Probably better on the highway, more responsive than a 6 speed. Actually, turn off your OD... now you have the 3 speed automatic.

With the 4 speed automatic you might need 4.88s, thanks to that 0.69 OD. The 3 speed offers almost the same cruise rpm at 60mph with 3.55.

3 speeds go back to the days when an engine had a broad power/torque band. Todays 6, 8, 9 speeds are designed to keep the engine in a very narrow, computer controlled power band. And they deliver excellent fuel economy and outstanding horsepower. But to maximize all those benefits they need computer controlled automatics,,, hence you can no longer by a pickup with a clutch... well maybe one. The lowest power Cummins offers a clutch.

Which is better? My favorite tranny has 18 speeds... but you are always shifting. You have to love driving. The old CJ with a 3 speed, 304 V8. Power from 800rpm. A bit more power at 4000rpm. But a blast to drive. You only had to shift if you remembered to.

I have often wanted an old TJ or YJ with the automatic. Or another 3 speed CJ.

Last edited:
Ahhh, you revised your previous response which makes more sense of it. I regularly drive with my OD off but only in town. It's nice to have the OD when cruising on the highway.

My 97 has the 3 speed auto & it runs great on the highway with 33" tires. I don't like to lugg an engine with overdrive. All my Jeeps I run around 2500 to 3000 rpm which is in the powerband. My wife's JKUR is automatic 2011 with the mini van 3.8 & 411 gears.
I run 34" Toyo MT's & since I didn't do a gear change every time we drive it we turn off the od always. At 70 it turns 2800rpm. This jeep loves it .

It's been in less than 24 hours, but the SYE and CV driveshaft is by far the best mod so far. I gained two inches of additional clearance by removing the TC drop and all driveline vibrations were gone.