What is your favorite vehicle that you've ever owned?

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
In 2001, I bought a 1998 Chevy Suburban and it was a really special vehicle for us. It was loaded with leather, front and rear heat/ ac, heated seats and all the bells and whistles. It was the nicest and newest vehicle that we’d ever owned up to that point and I think the timing of ownership is the big reason. My kids were 11 & 9 back then and our family had a lot of fun with it. When we’d go camping the kids would sit in the third row of seats and we’d lay down the center row. That’s where we’d set up the dog’s bed and our Labrador, Holly, would ride there. We camped a lot back then and it towed our camper like a champ. We never had a problem with it. It was a great vehicle for us at an especially sweet time in our family’s life.

Note: due to @Squatch numerous vehicle history maybe he can compile a top ten list if there are no objections.

LOL Love it!
Okay, here goes:
1956 Ford Victoria 2-dr hdtp (a few of 'em)
1960 Pontiac (Bonneville convertible and Ventura 2-dr hdtp)
1958 Edsel Citation 2-dr hdtp
1967 Dart GT convertible 383 Magnum/4spd
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye
1971 Dodge Demon
1965 and '66 Marlins ('65 considered Rambler, while '66 is AMC)
1966 Mustang fastback (289 car)
1968 Camaro
1948 Mercury coupe
Dammit! That's ten, already!
;)

Great thread idea.....I think if you gave @Squatch a top 50 list he'd fill it no problem ;)

For me its a neck and neck with my 63 Triumph Herald and my Vauxhall Magnum (first car)
I blew the 1800cc motor on my Magnum so dropped in a 2300cc Bedford Van engine in its place. That thing was a definite 'sleeper'
My Triumph was a blast to drive and I learnt so much about cars on that thing. (pic below was not mine but identical) I lost her in the end thanks to rust … RIP Casper.
1546820572247.png

For me I think it would be my old Mazda Miata and my TJ as well.

With both of them, I just look for reasons to go driving. The Miata would get about 26mpg to boot!

Those things truly are the ultimate sports car, most just will never realize it until they drive one.

Anyways, maybe I need to buy another. I would love to have both!

It would be a toss up between a 67 390 4 speed S code Mustang repowered with a 428CJ, a 69 Bronco that I did a LOT of work to and a 72 911S with RS flares, wheels and the RS 2.7 engine. Had them all in my early twenties when I was single. The 911 I sold before I got it finished to put new windows in the house. Hindsight as they say is 20-20.

B

I really liked my Avalanche, ugly as they were. That was the ultimate in utility. Loaded up with leather and everything (well, everything GM had in trucks in 2002) it could take you out for a night on the town. But....fold the midgate down and you could haul anything just like a full size pickup. 4x8 sheetgoods would slide right in. Lost her to rust, but had her 10 years and put 160,000 miles on her. Not a perfect trackrecord from a maintenance standpoint, but nothing too bad.

I REALLY like my TJ too...Its kind of a tie. Like Chris said about finding excuses to go driving...that is how my Jeep is too me. My wife and I will just take it out on a saturday nite and go for a cruise...with no particular destination in mind. Sometimes its the beach, sometimes its a brewery, sometimes, its apple country. Its always fun.

It may sound crazy, but my all time favorite car was a 1984 VW Vanagon Westfalia camper. Two burner propane stove, 3-way refrigerator, sink with running water, and sleeping for four. I called it the "Magic Bus".

The runners-up: '65 Pontiac GTO, '71 and '73 Triumph TR6s, 2002 Corvette Z06, 1976 CJ5 Rennegade.
Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 8.22.16 PM.png

LOL Love it!
Okay, here goes:
1956 Ford Victoria 2-dr hdtp (a few of 'em)
1960 Pontiac (Bonneville convertible and Ventura 2-dr hdtp)
1958 Edsel Citation 2-dr hdtp
1967 Dart GT convertible 383 Magnum/4spd
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye
1971 Dodge Demon
1965 and '66 Marlins ('65 considered Rambler, while '66 is AMC)
1966 Mustang fastback (289 car)
1968 Camaro
1948 Mercury coupe
Dammit! That's ten, already!
;)
Where in the list is the TJ Sahara with the mountain of parts next to it?? :cool:

My current TJ is probably top of my list. Strangely I do miss my '88 Ranger from time to time. It was such a beater truck and broke down every other week. Still, it was a surprisingly smooth ride and the tall-ass stick coming out from the floor that had a huge throw was just fun to drive.

I originally bought it for $800 in 2010, it was a lovely primer gray color too. Plan was I'd drive it while I was fixing my '89 YJ. Turns out I just went back and forth between repairing one and then the other!

If only the AC worked I would have liked it more. Oh, and if only it wasn't a crappy engine that leaked oil everywhere either.

Still, it was a riot. I loved it when a nice Beemer would try to cut me off or someone would play chicken with me. They would try until they realized me, in my primer gray, beat-up, steel, '88 Ranger, really did not care if you side-swiped my truck. In fact, it'd probably put a smile on my face.

My TJ for sure. Although, I have an 85 K20 squarebody Chevy that seemingly breaks something everytime I drive it and has a never ending list of things I would like to do to it. I never will do most of them but everytime (that it runs) I drive down a gravel road bouncing all over the place and dust getting everywhere I giggle like a little school girl. The picture is my truck in its natural state in my garage.....

chevy truck.jpg

I have the same truck with a plow...I considered fixing it up...no more, I would rather spend my money on my LJ...or the 68 charger
My TJ for sure. Although, I have an 85 K20 squarebody Chevy that seemingly breaks something everytime I drive it and has a never ending list of things I would like to do to it. I never will do most of them but everytime (that it runs) I drive down a gravel road bouncing all over the place and dust getting everywhere I giggle like a little school girl. The picture is my truck in its natural state in my garage.....

View attachment 71127

Reactions: RussTJ and DuncLJ
I have the same truck with a plow...I considered fixing it up...no more, I would rather spend my money on my LJ...or the 68 charger
I don't blame ya there! My truck is basically my "farm" truck so it won't be getting nice anytime soon. It just hauls stuff and plows. My uncle has a 70 Charger that is wasting away in his garage and I have tried to get him to sell it to me to no avail. Too bad because those Chargers are awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussTJ and DuncLJ