What is your nominal ride height?

I don't know yet. I can get the sprung weight pretty easily but the rest is just an educated guess until he hits some scales.

Iirc off the top of my head the axles are about 700lbs combined (you're probably saving a little without the rear floater and Super 60 gears.) and 75lbs per tire + 30 for the rims.. Roughly anyway.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/how-fox-dsc-dual-speed-compression-adjusters-work/

This is neat stuff to be be aware of. I just barely understand what I'm reading, but it makes me want to know more.
Almost all the high end mountain bike shocks have this level of adjustability and more. On my Fox forks, I have high and low speed compression damping, rebound damping, and a low-speed platform to stabilize the fork against pedaling input. Oh, and a lock-out. One of the forks even has an on-the-fly travel adjust. But then we're on vehicles that weigh 1/6 of our body weight and we're moving around a lot — and that's a lot of body English that the suspension has to deal with.

You need a big range of adjustability on mountain bikes, because rider weight varies a lot, so the sprung weight can be very different from one bike to the next. Most of the time you're using air spring pressure and volume spacers to get the spring rate right. Then you're tuning all the damping to match the spring rate and get the ride you want.

Tuning that stuff is tricky. You have to know what it all does and have a good feel for what the suspension is doing on the trail. And there's not always a right answer for the suspension tune. A lot of it depends on how the bike is set up and what you want to do with it.

I imagine it's similar when you're tuning a purpose-built rig.

Reactions: jjvw
I imagine it's similar when you're tuning a purpose-built rig.
Very much so and in conversations with a couple of tuners I trust, they relate that it even varies by driver in the same car. Sometimes the co driver will actually drive parts of the course and the tune for the driver is not the same tune for the co-dawg.

This one turned out nice! It's interesting to see the differences on a purpose built rig and how they'd cause issues for other areas. Out in the rocks you have that one will be great.
I think the internet would be a whole bunch better if we could get folks answering questions to step outside their worlds and see what the other person is doing before they start insisting that their answer is correct.

I think the internet would be a whole bunch better if we could get folks answering questions to step outside their worlds and see what the other person is doing before they start insisting that their answer is correct.

As long as we can still agree that some answers are just plain wrong. ;)

But really though, if you were saying that this build is correct and every other build is wrong, you'd have some very unhappy customers who want to drive to work in the morning when it's freezing cold out. Likewise, if I said that every build needed fender flares, there'd be some very unhappy people with bent flares that didn't do any good in the first place.

Add in some limitations of owners (bad joints, non-technical, more passengers, etc) and the range of "correct" expands even further even if they wheel in the same places as somebody else.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Bumping for more data.

I want to post the latest chart soon. More data is more helpful. :)

- 4" Savvy Mid-Arm Lift (Currie springs)
- 35X12.5R17 Goodyear KM2 Tires
- Frame Height is 22"

This is interesting. I was prompted to remeasure the same Jeep Chris had provided numbers for. I have removed 150-200lbs and worn the tires down another 6k miles or so.

* 4" Currie
* 35" KM2
* 21.25"

Reactions: PNW_LJ and Chris
What is your uptravel?

On the khaki TJ I worked with what I was given as it's not worth the work to entirely redo, but it's also not worth repeating. So don't take these numbers as some rule to live by or compare to.

5.5" front, 6.25" rear.

On the khaki TJ I worked with what I was given as it's not worth the work to entirely redo, but it's also not worth repeating. So don't take these numbers as some rule to live by or compare to.

5.5" front, 6.25" rear.

Those numbers aren't embarrassing by any means.

Reactions: Daryl
This is interesting. I was prompted to remeasure the same Jeep Chris had provided numbers for. I have removed 150-200lbs and worn the tires down another 6k miles or so.

* 4" Currie
* 35" KM2
* 21.25"

Also worth noting is that BFG tires always run really small.

For instance, the brand new BFG KO2 tires in a 315/70R17 I have on my JK claim to be 34.4", but actually measure 33.75". I never measured the KM2s actual height, but I suspect it's even less than BFG claims it is.

Teraflex 3" front & 2" rear (actual coil measurements 15 front & 10 rear)
33x12.50R15 BFG KM3's (15 1/2" at the center of the axle tube, couldn’t get an accurate hub center measurement)
18.25 frame height

I read this thread & I'm still not even sure what all this means :unsure:😬

Edit: sorry, didn't realize this was a necrobump, saw January & was thinking it was this year...

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
*very* late entry, but a data point nonetheless.

Lift: custom midarm with 3" lift springs
Tires: 33" BFG KO2s (week old)
~18.5" below middle body mount
Hub height ~15.5 (approx=31.5/2)

Jeep is relatively light. Soft top and half doors. No rear seat. Sliders, steel tcase skid, aluminium engine skid. Lightweight front bumper and winch. Steel rear bumper + exogate + full size spare. No rear seat, lightweight till box with some road essentials. I'll get a weight reading at a scale tomorrow evening.

@jjvw @toximus did I get these numbers right?

PXL_20201225_064944916.jpg

PXL_20201220_020639661.jpg

Last edited: