What is your philosophy of life?

Every failure is the elimination of a potential solution. Problems cannot be solved without finding a solution. If you don't eliminate the poor solutions, you're relying on luck to find a solution. I prefer diligence over luck. Over the course of time, it's quicker.
I’d like that twice if I could.

Some people say fail faster to get it over with.

Edison had over 1000 iterations of the bulb.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take -Wayne Gretzky

Reactions: John Cooper
What is your philosophy toward—failure.

My Dad would spend days planning something but when it was time to implement the plan he could never pull the trigger because he was very afraid of failure. Me on the other hand plan it out the best I can and do it. There’s always plan B and if that does not work there are 24 more letters in the alphabet. Failure is only failure if you do not learn from it. If you look at any successful man or woman you will find they’ve had many failures. I find this is very true in regards to some people’s builds on this forum.

Reactions: Zorba
I’d like that twice if I could.

Some people say fail faster to get it over with.

Edison had over 1000 iterations of the bulb.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take -Wayne Gretzky

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research."

Thank you for your kind words - BUT - I'm not "brave", although you're not the first to call me such. I just don't give a shit about what other people think or do - that's no way to live one's life. It really is just that simple.

Well, same net result. Going a step further it takes a special person to get on a stage and bare their soul...actors, musicians, etc.

The tenacity to choose your own path is beautiful- nearly 100 percent of them nearly give up - all we see is the music awards,etc-

The stories are amazing- Jason Aldean signed with Capitol records and was never even given studio time, and was weeks away from just calling it quits in Nashville.

The lead singer of Train was painting houses. Praying for a break.

Countless stories. Harrison Ford was installing a hardwood floor in George Lucas’s home.

Incidentally Harrison Ford has some very good work advice- Jump in and help everybody get done what needs to get done.

My Dad would spend days planning something but when it was time to implement the plan he could never pull the trigger because he was very afraid of failure. Me on the other hand plan it out the best I can and do it. There’s always plan B and if that does not work there are 24 more letters in the alphabet. Failure is only failure if you do not learn from it. If you look at any successful man or woman you will find they’ve had many failures. I find this is very true in regards to some people’s builds on this forum.

Many people simply never pull the trigger. If you want some ships to come in you need to send some out.
Also many people just play it too small. They will even brag about being so conservative they practically accomplished nothing-

I also truly believe in preparing for success... And I also believe that you have to make room for things to come into your life by completing things and getting the other things out of the way.

To be on point I have seen people get so busy with this great master plan in figuring everything out and one problem they have when they start finally doing it is they have over thought everything and they’re not really flexible when challenges arise-

I have a fascinating relative and every endeavor he is going to “ do it right”....He’s going to set up the trailer he’s going to have all the right answers he’s going to have all the right insurance and everything is gonna be done like nobody’s ever done.....I have seen him do this over and over and every time within 12 months he is messed up as a can of worms-

To be in keeping with what he said sometimes you just got to put yourself out there and see what happens- It is a great tragedy to die with your music in you.

Reactions: bucky
Going a step further it takes a special person to get on a stage and bare their soul...actors, musicians, etc.
I'll give you that - it ain't easy. One of my longtime teachers told us repeatedly that when people go to a performance - of whatever kind - they're not there for the act per-se. They're not there for the glitz, the glamour, or even the talent. They're there because they want to come away FEELING SOMETHING! Took me *years* to understand, and I'm still working on it - "it" being emotional projection and open/vulnerable on stage. I now even do coaching of other dancers in this area - its teaching something that is almost impossible to teach, and I'm teaching myself as much or more than I am my students! Much easier to teach finger cymbals or veil dancing - plenty of dancers are terrified of both!

Life is what you make of it. In the USA we are blessed with opportunities that others in the world can only dream about. The secret to success is to work your ass off so you can reap your rewards later.
I worked 20 years in emergency rooms and treating cancer patients.
My biggest take away from this is, quit Bitching about your life because I can find 100 people who would gladly take your place.

I survived kidney cancer, and feel very fortunate that was the cancer that I had. While doing chemo, there was way more people with worse off diagnosis than I had. I feel very fortunate.

Reactions: pc1p, sab and bucky
I'll give you that - it ain't easy. One of my longtime teachers told us repeatedly that when people go to a performance - of whatever kind - they're not there for the act per-se. They're not there for the glitz, the glamour, or even the talent. They're there because they want to come away FEELING SOMETHING! Took me *years* to understand, and I'm still working on it - "it" being emotional projection and open/vulnerable on stage. I now even do coaching of other dancers in this area - its teaching something that is almost impossible to teach, and I'm teaching myself as much or more than I am my students! Much easier to teach finger cymbals or veil dancing - plenty of dancers are terrified of both!

That is it- Bob Seger said “ every ounce of energy you try to give away”

On giving everyone the “feeling “ that is so true- Movies can do that- the “feel good” hit of the summer...

I’ve never seen anyone do what you described better than musician Bryan Adams- I saw him in the summer of 1984, his command of the stage was beyond anything I’d ever seen. He had 10,000 people wrapped around his finger-and no one there had a better time than him- decades later he did an acoustic show at the Ryman in Nashville. You sat their before the show thinking of his stadium rocker songs and kind of wondered “how is this going to work?” - He shut the place down. After the concert I watched people as they filled the halls- people were just giddy.

I think the thing that really adds to it is these performers are doing songs for decades they were probably tired of by the time the album was finished. To do that with enthusiasm and keep it fresh takes a real professional.

Also some people are just way better than you think - there is a youtube cut of Sebastian Bach singing “I remember you “ with his band Skid Row at Wembley Stadium. You almost can’t believe his vocal ability.

I’ve also heard it said artists get all that energy back and tend to look young for years. Very well some truth to that if they live healthy otherwise.

Last edited:
I survived kidney cancer, and feel very fortunate that was the cancer that I had. While doing chemo, there was way more people with worse off diagnosis than I had. I feel very fortunate.

Perspective.

Most of us have been so blessed and we squawk the loudest about how unfair life is at times.

I’ve seen people so negative you’re like hey buddy did you lose a shoe??

Noooo, I found one 😩

Have you guys gotten as you get older where you just don’t have the time for people that suck the life out of you?

One of the reasons that I feel that way is really when you have been around long enough you realize that just about every one of these stories has the same backstory- idiotic choices and behaviors

Life is not fair you just need to do your best with the hand you’re dealt.

I rarely even use the word fair- it sounds good but to many people it means they want what others have without the work. Probably if we look at the average we need to be very thankful life isn’t fair.

Also in business I will not use the word quality very much because it is very subjective- To some people quality means getting it for nothing and to some people it means getting it done fast and some people it means technically correct and to some people it’s purely cosmetics-

I think another problem with looking for life to be fair is you’re really looking for some external source to level things out- If you need more money work a little harder or a little longer or perform better so they pay you more because they can’t afford to lose you- That is the secret to getting a raise is make yourself so valuable that the employer acts in his own best interest and pays you more.

Last edited:
I’m going to change the subject little bit and talk about philosophy toward happiness

Happiness is one of the most sought after commodities is on the planet- I have come to believe that happiness comes in different degrees and one of the greatest levels of happiness is the happiness that you deserve- You’re happy about your truck because you paid it off, You’re happy with your job because you treat it right and you know they value you- You worked hard to become good at it. You’re happy with yourself because you know how you treated people that day and you know what you did when people weren’t looking.

I’m also convinced that if we can create unhappiness that we can also create happiness. Or if you don’t create any unhappiness that may keep you from messing up the happiness you have.

Happiness is pretty serious business to me because it is a large moniker of the quality of our life experience- I know a really sweet girl who was dating a guy and his mother told her he is never happy. Everyone around her was giving off warning messages.
Me and my cousins who were like eight and nine years old we’re like please please don’t marry this guy he would make the Jehovah’s Witness get up and leave the room.

Well she did. And she did this and ultimately they lived under a belief system that strongly discourages divorce except for infidelity.

I cannot even begin to describe to you the level of misery and hopelessness that she has lived under.

This leads me to the statement of marrying somebody thinking you’re going to make them happy is a horrible plan.

I’ve had unhappiness in life as everybody does and for the most part I have came to the belief that unhappiness is a message you need to change.

Was talking with some folks on a wheeling trip, it was mentioned that it had been dry and warm and the pollen was low. Me being me said "give it time, it will rain and the pollen will be right back"
A friend looked and at me and said "you are just an Eore" dang the rest of the day all I could think of was "whoa is me" and "I'm just a little black rain cloud"
No joke made up my mind then to stop being that way!!!!!!!

Folks at work will look at my Jeep and say it's supposed to rain today, your gonna get wet! I tell them a bad day in my Jeep is better than a good day in the office!!!!!!

Reactions: pc1p and Irun
That is it- Bob Seger said “ every ounce of energy you try to give away”

On giving everyone the “feeling “ that is so true- Movies can do that- the “feel good” hit of the summer...

I’ve never seen anyone do what you described better than musician Bryan Adams- I saw him in the summer of 1984, his command of the stage was beyond anything I’d ever seen. He had 10,000 people wrapped around his finger-and no one there had a better time than him- decades later he did an acoustic show at the Ryman in Nashville. You sat their before the show thinking of his stadium rocker songs and kind of wondered “how is this going to work?” - He shut the place down. After the concert I watched people as they filled the halls- people were just giddy.

I think the thing that really adds to it is these performers are doing songs for decades they were probably tired of by the time the album was finished. To do that with enthusiasm and keep it fresh takes a real professional.

Also some people are just way better than you think - there is a youtube cut of Sebastian Bach singing “I remember you “ with his band Skid Row at Wembley Stadium. You almost can’t believe his vocal ability.

I’ve also heard it said artists get all that energy back and tend to look young for years. Very well some truth to that if they live healthy otherwise.
Its all about the audience. Any performer who thinks its about them is sadly mistaken - all we can do is take the audience's energy/feeling, amplify it, and give it back to them. "They feel like me out there..." That's why nobody wants to open a show - we all hate to do it, but *somebody* has to.

As for happiness, you have to make it for yourself. I often come across as a grumpy old man, because I *am* a grumpy old man. But - for the most part - I'm a happy grumpy old man! I was a grumpy "old man" even when I was a kid - but I think I stay mostly happy because I have a sensitive bullshit detector and stay away from crap and things that I know will annoy me. I avoid things that are "empty" and/or waste my time/money at all costs (like smartphones as but one example). My personal "religion", spirituality, belief system, worldview, whatever helps IMMENSELY - otherwise I wouldn't know what to make of the fools in this world. And there are a LOT of fools.

It also helps to have a sense of humor!

Its all about the audience. Any performer who thinks its about them is sadly mistaken - all we can do is take the audience's energy/feeling, amplify it, and give it back to them. "They feel like me out there..." That's why nobody wants to open a show - we all hate to do it, but *somebody* has to.

As for happiness, you have to make it for yourself. I often come across as a grumpy old man, because I *am* a grumpy old man. But - for the most part - I'm a happy grumpy old man! I was a grumpy "old man" even when I was a kid - but I think I stay mostly happy because I have a sensitive bullshit detector and stay away from crap and things that I know will annoy me. I avoid things that are "empty" and/or waste my time/money at all costs (like smartphones as but one example). My personal "religion", spirituality, belief system, worldview, whatever helps IMMENSELY - otherwise I wouldn't know what to make of the fools in this world. And there are a LOT of fools.

That really registers-

Owning a business has almost made me cynical and jaded-

We had a guy whose mother died in 2020 and in 2021 she had a heart attack. Wow man she’s really going downhill.

We had a worker put in 26 hours in one day, Based on the other hours that we knew he had worked that week. We were flabbergasted, we just really didn’t know how to express our amazement for that level of dedication.

As I have gotten older one of the hardest things to do is keep a straight face sometimes.

I think another thing that goes along with the bad character traits that are so prevalent in our society today is the fact that people just can’t be honest about every day things- It doesn’t take a lie because you’re running late for work or need to pay your cell phone bill when you go to lunch.

Last edited: