What kind of shop press is this?

Yes. It's an older version (new ones are silver). I bought one, and immediately wondered why I had waited so long to do so. A word of advice, though: Pony-up the extra cash for the 20-ton version. It's not much more at all, and will pay for itself in short order. I used my 20-ton on axle bearings on a Subaru I once owned, and most recently on installing new control arm bushings for my TJ. Rear axle bearings for the TJ are the next order of business. They can be had for around $150-$170, depending on sales and/or their coupon availability. Get one. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
Pony-up the extra cash for the 20-ton version. It's not much more at all, and will pay for itself in short order.

Dumb question: I'm assuming the tonnage is a measurement of the pressure the press is capable of outputting, right?

one thing to make sure of when buying one of the shop presses from harbor freight (or anywhere), make sure the arbor plates are cut steel and not cast. HF used to sell the press with cast arbor plates and several exploded under pressure.

Dumb question: I'm assuming the tonnage is a measurement of the pressure the press is capable of outputting, right?
Can't say that I absolutely know how it is tonnage ratings are determined, Chief. I only know that I would rather have more than I needed available to me, than to have a tool that was just a little bit shy of being able to do the job. BTW, I've read enough reviews saying that folks wished they had stepped up to the 20-ton press, that it helped me make my choice.

I bought the newer gray hammertone 20 ton HFT press for a friend last year who helped me install my ring & pinion gears. It is a nice press and it worked really well. I want one for myself but can't really justify one now like I could have ten years ago. I don't really have room for it in my garage either despite it being a 3 car garage. Too many cabinets, tool cabinets, a big work bench, and full-size shop compressor.

Reactions: Squatch
One of the simplest tools you can have. Keep everything centered, balanced. This is one tool where expensive does not buy a superior tool. Check out auctions, pawn shops, liquidation sales.

Used ones often include a whack of "adapters?".

Last edited: