What kind of tent do you use?

DETOUR

TJ Enthusiast
Gday All

I’m not certain if this is the proper section to ask :

•What kind of tent/shelter are you all using while out there in the mighty outdoors wheeling / overlanding / camping
• although roof-tents are a great idea, they don’t appeal to me or my camping style

Thx for your input

DETOUR

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

Here is what I use, sets up quick, can handle wind, and when zipped up the tent is completely sealed unlike some with a separate rain fly and mesh top. This keeps the dust out during wind storm. Stored it is large but will fit crossways in my Jeep.

Reactions: DETOUR
Reactions: DETOUR
Here is what I use, sets up quick, can handle wind, and when zipped up the tent is completely sealed unlike some with a separate rain fly and mesh top. This keeps the dust out during wind storm. Stored it is large but will fit crossways in my Jeep.
https://www.coleman.com/tents-canop...ping-tent-with-instant-setup/SAP_2157801.html
NskLJ

How long have you owned a tent like this COLEMAN model ?
• I’m curious to how the articulating joints stand up in the long run ?
• the price tag makes it appealing

Thx in advance

Reactions: NskLJ
NskLJ

Thx in advance
I have the same one. It’s probably 3-4 years old. Used a handful of times a year. Everything works just fine.

Reactions: NskLJ
Since I already had a couple of the Easy Up canopy's I got this.

1648951396757.png

I haven't used it yet but I did set it up once.

I use a Bestop Trektop NX 😏

I'm actually in the market for something that will handle the whole family. The LJ is ok for me and my oldest, but it doesn't feel very chivalrous to sleep in it with him while the wife and youngest kid sleep on the ground in my backpacking tent. 🤣

I've got a collection for different stuff.

I use the Cabellas, camp-rite cot tent when I'm staying at a campground for awhile and the weather is going to be bad. It is comfortable and weather tight. It's heavy, it's big, it's comfortable.

cab.jpg

When I'm traveling light in the Jeep I use a NatureHike Chinese tent. Quality is good and I like it. Easy to set up and it has been great. It works backpacking but is a bit heavy. Free standing tents are really easy to work with, especially if they have mats included.

nature.jpg

When the weather is good I use a Kamp-rite cot, it's compact and easy to carry if you want to sleep under the stars above the bugs.

kamp.jpg

When I'm backpacking I use a military goretex bivy, it's part of their sleep system. I use it with the cot sometimes out of the Jeep when the weather is unpredictable and I don't want to set up the tent.

I camp with allot of car campers, families, if you want a bigger tent and don't mind the space they all gravitate towards the Coleman easy up or quick setup tents. The newer ones are worth the cost although they take up a bit more room. If you're in a Jeep/car the extra space isn't a big deal.

NskLJ

Thx in advance
I have owned it for about 3 years, I don’t see any problem with the articulating joints and zippers are high quality. I am very happy with it. I bought the larger one (I think 4 or 6 person) you can stand up in it and fit a cot on each side with an aisle down the middle and enough room for all your gear. I did purchase a good set of metal stakes as the California desert ground can be rock hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
40 year old North Face tent. I don't know the model, but is was advertised as a 4-man tent. Fits me and the boss just fine. Usually use it on Padre Island during the 2 weeks of Spring and the 2 weeks of Fall. Summer is just too hot. Winter only lasts 3 days. Maybe that's why it has lasted so long. Or, it could be one of the first applications of rip-stop Nylon before they started putting the contaminants into the mix.

I've got a collection for different stuff.

I use the Cabellas, camp-rite cot tent when I'm staying at a campground for awhile and the weather is going to be bad. It is comfortable and weather tight. It's heavy, it's big, it's comfortable.

View attachment 320200
I really want to find something like this that is big enough for me and my dog. Being up off the ground is really attractive to me

I really want to find something like this that is big enough for me and my dog. Being up off the ground is really attractive to me
They make a wide or double version, it ain't light. Even the normal size one is a boat anchor compared to most tents. I think there are lighter versions of the same general idea. Somebody gave me the one I use, they didn't like how enclosed it was. Other than the weight it's really nice, folds open and it's ready to go. You don't need to search for a good flat spot or anything, just move it around a bit until it's level.

Angus has his own pup tent

View attachment 320393
Puppy is a cuddler he won't do well being zipped up into a tent away from me I don't think lol

They make a wide or double version, it ain't light. Even the normal size one is a boat anchor compared to most tents. I think there are lighter versions of the same general idea. Somebody gave me the one I use, they didn't like how enclosed it was. Other than the weight it's really nice, folds open and it's ready to go. You don't need to search for a good flat spot or anything, just move it around a bit until it's level.
That's the one I've been looking at... I've seen some reviews that the tent and cot aren't sealed very well so it doesn't work in rain or wind which I've been nervous about. But not a lot of options for bigger sized cot-tents, I might be better off with a tent big enough for a separate cot.

This is what I have right now: https://www.rei.com/product/864142/mountain-hardwear-ev-2-tent
But it's old, it's a hand me down from my dad probably 8 years old now. I resealed it this winter and waterproofed it but I'm not sure that's going to be enough so I'm thinking I'll likely have to replace it this year

I don't know if the one they made for Cabelas is different but mine is industrial and I've had it in bad weather. Not like a normal tent at all. Compared to the Mountain Hardware it'll seem like a tank. They have a rain fly that covers the whole thing. I guess it might leak without the fly?

Reactions: lBasket
I don't know if the one they made for Cabelas is different but mine is industrial and I've had it in bad weather. Not like a normal tent at all. Compared to the Mountain Hardware it'll seem like a tank. They have a rain fly that covers the whole thing. I guess it might leak without the fly?
Yeah that EV2 was probably a decent tent new but it makes a lot of sacrifices for weight I think that I just don't care about plus it's getting kinda trashed. Maybe the bad reviews were people not setting up the fly.

The last time I went camping it rained and a river formed under my tent lol so that's really motivated me to get something elevated