What kind of tent do you use?

Holiday inn express, I wake up smarter. I gave up using tent when I got done with boy scouts. I'm to old to sleep on the ground.
I wish that was always an option for when I'm on fires!! I've done it a few times and it's got it's merits! Just not economically or geographically feasible most of the time.

Originally I was looking at the RV5 Deluxe but damn are they proud of that one!!! For what I needed it for the RVS would have been fine for taking on fires and then the RV5 popped up on FB Marketplace having only been used a couple times (according to the seller) for less than the RV3. Not to mention there wasn't a single supplier in the US that had any OZ-Tents in stock and only 1 had an "estimate" as to when they might get one back in stock. (Thank you RONA!!!)

I won't ever spend enough time around the tent when I'm on fires to warrant putting up the awning. I have thought about getting all the parts to complete the front enclosure, including a floor for when/if I ever just go camping without my trailer. It would be nice if they made a screened enclosure also.
Been around for years now, you can get side walls for them to enclose

Reactions: reddvltj
Been around for years now, you can get side walls for them to enclose

Yep, I've looked at those more than once, I just can't justify the added cost for what I'm using the tent for. Not to mention trying to find room on a fuel truck to stow all that stuff when I'm on my way to a fire isn't all that easy.

This is a good thread since I'm trying to get back into tent camping and doing some overlanding. I'm considering the Coleman 4 person pop up. It's light when packed up and should fit in my TJ.

When you think about it the most important part of camping is an awning you can stand up in and set up your camp kitchen under cover as the tent itself is just shelter to sleep or get out of the rain. I found the Coleman SkyDome a really good tent but takes a little longer to erect than the pop up, pretty cheap now as everyone wants the pop up.
Once I found a tent I could stand up in though there was no going back.
Another tent I have is a Tee Pee type canvas touring tent that is easy up with one centre pole, these fold up flat and are 31.5 inches square so easily fit in the back of a TJ, mine was only $299au new and I think they are Ozarktrail in US? You only have to set up the roof square poles once and they stay in place.
Mine is under the bed in the spare room since I bought the RV tents but I will be using it again since I swapped from hard top with racks to soft top.

I picked up a screen house recently and used it for the first time camping last week (4 nights). We slept in our tear drop and used it for general cover through the day ... walls on and off. It's a small 4 sided one with a 6'x6' foot print and a height of 6.5'. It absolutely poured on the first day and through the night and we were fine. Some (most?) come with a flap on each side at the top that covers the walls when they are installed. This is critical in keeping the rain out. The ones that don't have it leak badly.

Mine is a "Wild Land" which is not one of the name brands. The walls are from "Gazelle" and they fit fine except for some misaligned Velcro which was easy to fix with a bit of sewing. I follow Cosmo Weems on Youtube who has reviewed a few of these. He said that they probably all come from the same factory in China and I think he's right.

This wasn't our set up last week but I will be using it soon when I camp on my own. I think it will work well with the awning on my XJ (I have one for my LJ as well). With the XJ I can sleep in either it or the screen house. It will have to be the screen house with the LJ.

22-07-03 1.JPG

22-07-03 4.JPG

Last edited:
How is the Big Agnes holding up? I'm looking at the Copper Spur UL 3 for long term hiking and bike touring soon but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Sorry for the late reply but just noticed your question. It's been great. I've had mine for 4-5 years and it gets used quite a bit in the summer time.

Sorry for the late reply but just noticed your question. It's been great. I've had mine for 4-5 years and it gets used quite a bit in the summer time.

Lol, no worries! But I finished up my touring bike and bought a 3 man Big Agnes copper spur.
It's asspensive but what a great piece of gear.
Goes up in minutes, easily weathered a downpour, dried quickly and packed away easily.
Very happy with it.

Reactions: Sancho and psrivats
Lol, no worries! But I finished up my touring bike and bought a 3 man Big Agnes copper spur.
It's asspensive but what a great piece of gear.
Goes up in minutes, easily weathered a downpour, dried quickly and packed away easily.
Very happy with it.

It's amongst the best outdoor gear items I have. Yours will give you years of service.

Moved up to cots, got soooooooo tired if waking up to an half inflated air bed. A Teton cot and a self inflating pad from Cabelas, and ah a nice nights

View attachment 356170

View attachment 356171

I have gone back to the Coleman Big Sky cot from the military style, I have found it to be more comfortable only problem is with the pack size it needs to go on my hitch basket now my hard top is off.

How much camping "comfort" can you get in a TJ soft top solo? So I have now started 13 weeks paid long service leave and wife is not interested as they are :)
I have removed rear seats and built a shelf, I might take pics of what I am fitting in for a "go as it happens" ( spring today in Perth around 60 mid day) I know this sounds obvious but I have only just arranged my gear so most needed is last packed like camp chair table and Jetboil, biggest hurdle is recovery gear space!
My tent is very long packed as is my preferred cot, I have bought a much smaller Fridge so beer will be the only concern!

My camping gear
Oztent RV1 or RV 3 Coleman medium big sky cot 45 litre fridge or 25 litre fridge 100 AH battery box 40 AH Hr lithium battery generator, 200w folding solar panel, not sure I can fit food or cloths in lol

So my first off last on now carries my pegs, guys, tent & tent footprint, jetboil coffee/tea and chair! I know from experience that once you decide to pack up a camp you want to get it done at super human speed when it should be a casual enjoyable pack up !

Last edited: