What kind of tent do you use?

@PCO6
You‘ve changed your storage configuration on the tongue of your trailer.

I followed your build on a different site. I had stolen your idea of reusing the curved BBQ stand sections for MWC holders on a trailer that I’m helping a friend build.

Nice tent, nice build

Thanks. I've made quite a few changes to the trailer. The quick story is that I was building it for solo camping. Suddenly my wife decided to take up camping. She tried tenting but that wasn't going to work so we bought a tear "pop" and I ended up modifying it quite a bit. I repurposed this trailer so I can now put an ATV in it (with the RTT off) haul kayaks and bikes plus generally use it as a utility trailer. I also solo camp with it.

I actually removed the box from the original build and made one that is longer and lower. Much of this work ... https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/pco6s-off-road-trailer-build.15306/ ... went out the window! 😊 I'm happy with the end result though.

One of the changes I made to the tongue was to mount a hidden Warn 2,000 lb. winch. I access it by taking the lid off of the small box and removing the false floor. It came in handy when I hauled a Jeep 4.0 L engine up into the bed a while back.

I didn't take as many pics of the rebuild but here is one of the tongue. Also included is a pic of my "wife's" trailer after I modified it. It's a pop up so I guess it's a tent of sorts.

20-08-22 1.JPG
20-08-12 2a.jpg

I don't know if anyone uses an SUV tent with their TJ but they are a good option. I traded a friend an awning for one and although I've only used it a few times I like it. I've only used it with my XJ but I have hooked it up to my LJ and it works fine.

Tent - SUV - Cabela's 1.JPG
Tent - SUV - Cabela's - 3.JPG

I literally just bought this one yesterday for this weekend.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...Rooms-and-Screen-Porch/171995710?athbdg=L1600View attachment 326392
We needed a new tent that is large enough to fit our king sized air mattress, and this one wasn't very expensive.
This tent turned out to be a poor choice given how tall & old we are. :ROFLMAO:
I'm on the lookout for a tent that is taller across the bulk of the tent and not just a tall dome in the center.
My back may not recover from this weekend.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: DETOUR and Wildman
Look for WATERPROOFNESS 😁

If you’ve ever been wet in a sleeping bag (and add cold to that) you’ll never complain about what you paid for a waterproof tent. Next comes height standing up, even bent over, is better than laying on your back trying to get dressed. My.02

Just returned from a 3 day’r in a kayak. View attachment 320831
View attachment 320830
Wow, I love the color of your jeep!

Reactions: OFF2BFE
I'm on the lookout for a tent that is taller across the bulk of the tent and not just a tall dome in the center.

I use this Kodiak Canvas 8.5 x 6 ft. Flex-Bow VX Tent. If you want something taller, the company offers stand-up versions with 9x8 and 10 x 10 footprints .

Kodiak Canvas 8x6.5 Flex Bow Tent.jpg

Be forewarned, these are well designed old school canvas tents that will last a lifetime but they are by no means lightweight or compact.

When I am traveling solo I typically carry a Kodiak Canvas one-person "swag" tent with built-in mattress pad. I have never had a poor night's sleep in it no matter the weather. It was my tent of choice for a month-long overlanding trip in Baja just before the pandemic. It was also my tent of choice for a long term trip on the California Backcountry Discovery Trail that runs from the Oregon Border to the border with Mexico.

Campsite near Bear Trap Basin, Stanislaus National Forest, Calaveras County CA - July 2019.jpg

Campsite at Guadalupe Canyon 1.jpg

Link: https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/tents/

P.S. -

This is the "tent" I use the most these days. I just returned from a month traveling the length of the Baja Peninsula in it.

I think there comes a time in life when tent camping out of a jeep evolves into an occasional thing rather than the way of life it once was. I may be in good enough shape at 71 to sleep on the ground and still be able to move the next day, but why?

Van Interior.jpg
Huerta Don Chano's at Mulege.jpg

Last edited:
I go pretty light. I have had this tent for a few uears and it has been wonderful. I picked it up at REI (return merchandise) for nearly half off and it was almost brand new. As packed, it is about 3lb and it easily fits in my backpacking/overnighter pack with all the other essentials. It sets up and packs up pretty easy. I use a REI branded inflatable mattress pad and an enlightened equipment blanket/sleeping bag. Everything is pretty light but they are quite comfortable. I have camped 38-40F on the mountains and zero complaints with my setup. I have no desire to camp outside when it goes below freezing so I carefully chose what I want to carry.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Spur-HV-UL2-2020

The TJ forces me to stay disciplined in terms of what I carry. I have contemplated LJ vs TJ many times, but the LJ is still pretty much a 2 person vehicle with extra space. But the TJ has enough space for 2 people + gear, where the LJ shines is basically that there is an extra space for a dog or for some comfort gear and such which can be nice on certain trips.

I am in the same camp as @rasband .. just can't do the overlander thing. I sometimes carry a small cooler for food on overnight trips and I always have extra water in a 5 gallon can. I also have backpacking alcohol stove in my pack if I get the desire to eat some hot food or coffee in the mornings. Note that I mostly tend to do trips with 1 or 2 nights outside mostly, with usually 1 or 2 other people, and so what I carry may not apply to you. I will say that I have been wanting to do longer trips and that needs more thought and planning.

One of these days I will share photos of how I carry stuff and what I carry. @rasband I would also like to hear about your gear choices sometime.
How is the Big Agnes holding up? I'm looking at the Copper Spur UL 3 for long term hiking and bike touring soon but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

P.S. -

This is the "tent" I use the most these days. I just returned from a month traveling the length of the Baja Peninsula in it.

I think there comes a time in life when tent camping out of a jeep evolves into an occasional thing rather than the way of life it once was. I may be in good enough shape at 71 to sleep on the ground and still be able to move the next day, but why?

View attachment 327420View attachment 327419
My next venture a camper van!

Reactions: DrDmoney
I use oztent, I have an RV1 and an RV3 touring tents, designed on a bakers tent but easy up easy down, bit expensive though fist pic RV1 second pic RV3, both cost $750au each, I must be mad spending that on tents lol

View attachment 328920

View attachment 328927

View attachment 328928

View attachment 328929
I picked up an RV5 last year to use when I go out on fires for $800 US. The guy threw in the fly, 2 king goanna cots, and the mesh floor saver because I drove about 600 miles one way to get it.

I set it up once after I got it just to see how big it was and WOW!!! The height and literally 30 seconds to have it standing is unbeatable.

1652227403001.png

Setup Size:
102.4" (W) x 102.4" (D) × 74.8" (H)
8' 6.4" (W) x 8' 6.4" (D) x 6' 2.8" (H)
Awning Size:
102.4" (W) x 78.7" (D)
8' 6.4" (W) x 6' 6.7" (D)

There is definitely some real Australian think going on with camping gear, it's nice to see. We're kinda stuck in Coleman pop-up land here in the states. That or ice fishing shelters.
Your "Kodiak" tents are pretty good, take a bit longer to erect than the Oztents and I was considering importing one before I got the RV3. The thing is you can keep buying tents every few years but if you spend a bit more on a proper touring tent then it ends up cheaper and easier in the long run for those that camp a bit more regularly!

Most people tangle themselves up in a Walmart/Target/Kmart tent that flaps in the wind but for touring you need quality in material as well as design, I cant see myself Hiking so I don't need a light weight tent! its canvas all the way for me!

If I lived in USA I would have bought a Kodiak (sp)

I picked up an RV5 last year to use when I go out on fires for $800 US. The guy threw in the fly, 2 king goanna cots, and the mesh floor saver because I drove about 600 miles one way to get it.

I set it up once after I got it just to see how big it was and WOW!!! The height and literally 30 seconds to have it standing is unbeatable.

View attachment 329580

Setup Size:
102.4" (W) x 102.4" (D) × 74.8" (H)
8' 6.4" (W) x 8' 6.4" (D) x 6' 2.8" (H)
Awning Size:
102.4" (W) x 78.7" (D)
8' 6.4" (W) x 6' 6.7" (D)
Try and score some peaked side panels! I only use mine as wind breaks one side or another when on the beach but they make a big difference,
Side panels and front panels with awning extension makes a really big comfortable all weather tent but to tell you the truth I only ever set my front sides and extension up once in my garden lol and I believe a left or right side panel is perfect and all you need.

I have the whole "Shabang" for mine as the accessories are quite cheap in Australia but the side panels are the only thing I use "on occasions".

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
Holiday inn express, I wake up smarter. I gave up using tent when I got done with boy scouts. I'm to old to sleep on the ground.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
Try and score some peaked side panels! I only use mine as wind breaks one side or another when on the beach but they make a big difference,
Side panels and front panels with awning extension makes a really big comfortable all weather tent but to tell you the truth I only ever set my front sides and extension up once in my garden lol and I believe a left or right side panel is perfect and all you need.

I have the whole "Shabang" for mine as the accessories are quite cheap in Australia but the side panels are the only thing I use "on occasions".
Originally I was looking at the RV5 Deluxe but damn are they proud of that one!!! For what I needed it for the RVS would have been fine for taking on fires and then the RV5 popped up on FB Marketplace having only been used a couple times (according to the seller) for less than the RV3. Not to mention there wasn't a single supplier in the US that had any OZ-Tents in stock and only 1 had an "estimate" as to when they might get one back in stock. (Thank you RONA!!!)

I won't ever spend enough time around the tent when I'm on fires to warrant putting up the awning. I have thought about getting all the parts to complete the front enclosure, including a floor for when/if I ever just go camping without my trailer. It would be nice if they made a screened enclosure also.