What kind of winch is this?

asheville_lj

A1119D3E-C48D-4A6C-9E2E-7686FC1F34D5.jpeg
7367E738-3B98-4691-8EAA-8DC029D4BBE2.jpeg
DACB74D4-01CF-4E21-8921-99957821213C.jpeg
Can anyone enlighten me with what I’m working with here? I am a bit of a winch novice but this came on my LJ when I bought it. What I know is the brand is Mile Marker, and any info on the model has been removed from it. It seems to be a couple generations old as none of the current models available look like it. Is it nice? Does it suck? Any info at all will help! I can take any pics that you may need to help me identify it.

Yes Mile Marker Winch. It sure is an old one. I think it is old enough that it uses permanent magnets instead of series wound. Those winches are usually very slow and the magnets eventually break up.

Yes Mile Marker Winch. It sure is an old one. I think it is old enough that it uses permanent magnets instead of series wound. Those winches are usually very slow and the magnets eventually break up.

Thanks for the feedback! If/when those magnets break up, are they expensive and hard to replace, or is it an attainable fix

Not sure how serviceable the motor is aside from replacing it. I sent JR from Mile Marker a message via Facebook messenger. Hopefully he replies.

Thank you so much. Love the half doors on your build by the way. I love the look of the body colored, factory half doors vs black after marked doors

One way you can tell is by looking at how many wires are connected to the motor. from the pics I only see 2 which why I am guessing it is a permanent magnet motor. The Series wound tent to have 3 plus a ground if I remember correctly.

Any working winch is a good one. Although with an old used one a quick tear down, clean up and regrease may be a good idea.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: asheville_lj