What Krylon paint is a match for stone white?

tnjeepguy

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know what Krylon spray can color matches OEM Stone White the best ?? There are about 6 different whites.

Does anyone know what Krylon spray can color matches OEM Stone White the best ?? There are about 6 different whites.
That’s a gamble but this much I can tell you- Stone white is a dirtier white than pure white-

What I mean by that is when you see it in a touch up jar by it self it does not even look white- Kind of took me by surprise

Sorry I’m not being more help-

Reactions: SPECWAR
What are you looking to paint and how close to matching are you wanting it? I know my local parts store will put factory colors in a rattle can and it’s not terrible. I haven’t done it in about 10 years, so no clue if they still do it and what the price is.

I used duplicolor matches really good. I repaired the outer edge of this fender the paint seam is right near my finger. Paint matches good my crappy body work not so much.

DC4DE2B7-4155-4786-94C9-E1999F826029.jpeg

4AAD8538-E429-49DE-BEE7-B179782ADFA2.jpeg

Both good ideas, thanks. Paint code on my 02 is PW1. Wanted to paint the underside of tailgate hinges, new are smaller so unpainted body shows.

Sorry for the resurrecion, but I went through this before, and I am going through the same thing again. I took my Stone White 1997 Wrangler Sport 4.0 ORO to a body shop to have the hood and door repainted. They ordered the PW1 Stone White and it wasn't a close match at all. They explained that the paint after 10-20 years, changes because of the weather and what is going on underneath the paint. The UV rays and everything changes a bright color like white more than any other paint color. Black would be the least effected. So, they had to adjust the match and they gave me different blends from the PW1 to match my paint. Then, spraying the paint without the clearcoat isn't going to look that great either. I had tried that before I took it to the high end body shop. I found out that my interior rails along my windshield didn't even have a clear coat, and when i tried to clean them, the paint just came off in a lot of places revealing the black metal underneath. So, I have to re-spray that area for my vehicle restoration. I am the Original Registered Owner. I came here to recall the proper paint code for the paint order, and I saw this thread and I thought that I would comment. Hope this comment is helpful. Sorry for the resurrection.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Sorry for the resurrecion, but I went through this before, and I am going through the same thing again. I took my Stone White 1997 Wrangler Sport 4.0 ORO to a body shop to have the hood and door repainted. They ordered the PW1 Stone White and it wasn't a close match at all. They explained that the paint after 10-20 years, changes because of the weather and what is going on underneath the paint. The UV rays and everything changes a bright color like white more than any other paint color. Black would be the least effected. So, they had to adjust the match and they gave me different blends from the PW1 to match my paint. Then, spraying the paint without the clearcoat isn't going to look that great either. I had tried that before I took it to the high end body shop. I found out that my interior rails along my windshield didn't even have a clear coat, and when i tried to clean them, the paint just came off in a lot of places revealing the black metal underneath. So, I have to re-spray that area for my vehicle restoration. I am the Original Registered Owner. I came here to recall the proper paint code for the paint order, and I saw this thread and I thought that I would comment. Hope this comment is helpful. Sorry for the resurrection.

Refer to post #5

Used the paint from zack and worked fine for me. But not that fussy. D

Did you clear coat it like the factory? I used the PW1 Stone White in the past, and it looked nothing like the factory paint with the clear coat. It looked dull and chalky without the clear coat. I want to redo my front fenders, and I'm seriously leaning towards clear coating them afterwards with the factory clear coat too because of past experiences. I think I'll probably do a few thin PW1 coats, 6000 grade wet sand, and then clear coat them.

Did you clear coat it like the factory? I used the PW1 Stone White in the past, and it looked nothing like the factory paint with the clear coat. It looked dull and chalky without the clear coat. I want to redo my front fenders, and I'm seriously leaning towards clear coating them afterwards with the factory clear coat too because of past experiences. I think I'll probably do a few thin PW1 coats, 6000 grade wet sand, and then clear coat them.

The duplicate color has a clear coat. If you wet sanded it in between I think you could get a decent finish.

Yes. I top coat mine with this

DupliColor-clear.jpeg

Then, spraying the paint without the clearcoat isn't going to look that great either. I had tried that before I took it to the high end body shop. I found out that my interior rails along my windshield didn't even have a clear coat, and when i tried to clean them, the paint just came off in a lot of places revealing the black metal underneath.
Most white paints of that era were single stage. No separate clear coat. Think the same may even apply today to generic whites without pearls and etc.

Reactions: Rickyd
Most white paints of that era were single stage. No separate clear coat. Think the same may even apply today to generic whites without pearls and etc.

My stone white 05 lj definitely has a clear coat. It has the famous cracking clear coat on the grill. Also my 2011 white tundra does not have a clear coat oddly enough.

y stone white 05 lj definitely has a clear coat. It has the famous cracking clear coat o

My stone white 97 definitely doesn't have any clearcoat

Mine definitely does. I painted the Fender with the PW1 spray and it looked horribly flat and matte. I then painted my hood with it, and it also looked so horribly flat, that I had to pay a high end body shop to have my hood, door and fenders repainted and they used a clear coat and matched my factory paint nearly perfectly. It gives the paint a deep gloss. The paint looks flat without it. Mopar 04443632AB is the official clear coat for the Wrangler. If you look it up, in the 1970's all cars went to basecoat/clearcoat. By 1997, of course the TJ's had this format too. Now, it is thin, so you can probably lose it if you shrub and polish it too much. After over 20 years of washing and polishing, I'm sure that a lot of TJ Wranglers don't have much clearcoat, if any left. You probably see a lot of older(1980-2000 ish) vehicles with that nasty white burned coating on the top of the paint. That is their clearcoat, destroyed by improper care.

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...c/product_images/Mopar_Clear_Coat_Spray_0.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2554983987...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QK56N5/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.