What lift kit is best for 2002 TJ

Marc L

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So apparently I got a bit taken on my Jeep when I bought it. First the tranny went out now the noises from the front and rear end are due to a hodge podge of parts put on it to lift it according to the place I took it into. They said I have three options. Put in a proper 2-1/2 lift kit that will have everything aligned etc, put it back to stock or Fix what they did with correct parts. I want to do a bit of off roading but not real serious stuff. What lift kit do you recommend? Thanks in advance...

Reactions: StG58
Everyone on here is die hard for the OME 2” lift, and seems to have proven itself quite well.

I however went with the BDS 2” (gave me actually about 2 1/2” lift) the cost is a lot less and I live close to where the company is from...it’s pretty basic for both kits though from my understanding ...4 springs..4 shocks..

BDS does carry a no fine print lifetime warranty though.
I can’t speak for OME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So apparently I got a bit taken on my Jeep when I bought it. First the tranny went out now the noises from the front and rear end are due to a hodge podge of parts put on it to lift it according to the place I took it into. They said I have three options. Put in a proper 2-1/2 lift kit that will have everything aligned etc, put it back to stock or Fix what they did with correct parts. I want to do a bit of off roading but not real serious stuff. What lift kit do you recommend? Thanks in advance...
OH man, there is a ton of good options out there. OK, well, maybe a half a dozen or so. Let's start with what TJ do you have, and where and what type of wheeling you want to do. There really isn't one universal "best" lift kit. The next question is are you going to do the work yourself, or have an installer do it? Are they going to provide the parts or are you? Each of those answers will narrow the field of candidates down some.

Then again you may have a suitable lift kit already that just needs some tuning and tweeking. More detailed information would be very helpful.

Everyone on here is die hard for the OME 2” lift, and seems to have proven itself quite well.

I however went with the BDS 2” (gave me actually about 2 1/2” lift) the cost is a lot less and I live close to where the company is from...it’s pretty basic for both kits though from my understanding ...4 springs..4 shocks..

I can’t speak for OME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not everyone is a die hard OME lift fan. Just a vocal minority advocate for that particular, good, lift kit. Lots of good options out there. Which one is best has more to do with how and where you use your TJ than anything else.

OH man, there is a ton of good options out there. OK, well, maybe a half a dozen or so. Let's start with what TJ do you have, and where and what type of wheeling you want to do. There really isn't one universal "best" lift kit. The next question is are you going to do the work yourself, or have an installer do it? Are they going to provide the parts or are you? Each of those answers will narrow the field of candidates down some.

Then again you may have a suitable lift kit already that just needs some tuning and tweeking. More detailed information would be very helpful.
I would like to do some trails with mud and rocks. no Hard twist the Jeep apart trails. I have a 2002 Wrangler XTJ, And I will have them install it most likely with them purchasing the kit of either my or their choosing depending on price. I can do it at home too if it is way cheaper too. Thanks!

Reactions: StG58
It's in the shop now. All I know is it has red springs up front. And they said spacers in the back.

Well, that doesn't give us a whole lot of information, but if you're looking to replace what's in there, OME, BDS, or JKS are all decent quality lifts. Red springs leads me to believe maybe Rancho springs. It's not uncommon for coil spring spacers to be added to level the jeep out. Do you know what shocks you have in there now? Is there an adjustable front track bar installed?

Reactions: StG58 and Marc L
I like the OME 2" HD. I can't speak for the others, but lots like BDS too. The OME 2" actually gives you about 2.5" and that's why you will see people here referring to it as the 2.5OME. The reason is because it has a higher spring rate and is designed to support extra weight you add to your TJ, like bumpers, winches, armor, et. al. So without all that it gives 2.5", and sometimes more. I have a bumper and a winch and I still get 2.5" out of mine.

With 2.5" of Suspension lift you can fit 31's very nicely. If you add a 1" Body lift you can fit 33's very nicely. If you go further and highline your TJ or go with some Metalcloak Flares you can fit 35's nicely. Of course, there's other things that go along with each of these builds, but that gives you the idea and why I like the 2.5OME.

Well, that doesn't give us a whole lot of information, but if you're looking to replace what's in there, OME, BDS, or JKS are all decent quality lifts. Red springs leads me to believe maybe Rancho springs. It's not uncommon for coil spring spacers to be added to level the jeep out. Do you know what shocks you have in there now? Is there an adjustable front track bar installed?
I did add an adjustable track bar. I thought that was what was making noise since it had play in it. Shocks look stock to me??
I like the OME 2" HD. I can't speak for the others, but lots like BDS too. The OME 2" actually gives you about 2.5" and that's why you will see people here referring to it as the 2.5OME. The reason is because it has a higher spring rate and is designed to support extra weight you add to your TJ, like bumpers, winches, armor, et. al. So without all that it gives 2.5", and sometimes more. I have a bumper and a winch and I still get 2.5" out of mine.

With 2.5" of Suspension lift you can fit 31's very nicely. If you add a 1" Body lift you can fit 33's very nicely. If you go further and highline your TJ or go with some Metalcloak Flares you can fit 35's nicely. Of course, there's other things that go along with each of these builds, but that gives you the idea and why I like the 2.5OME.
Thank you! that's what I was looking for!

I would like to do some trails with mud and rocks. no Hard twist the Jeep apart trails. I have a 2002 Wrangler XTJ, And I will have them install it most likely with them purchasing the kit of either my or their choosing depending on price. I can do it at home too if it is way cheaper too. Thanks!
No problem. I'm assuming that your wheeling conditions are a lot like mine (the wet side of Oregon), and that you have tire sizes that are in the 31x10.50 to 33x12.50 range. I'm further assuming that you have the 4.0 and an automatic transmission. Lot's of assumptions here, right?

A TJ is an off road system, so when you start to modify it a lot of things need to be tweeked or changed to make it work correctly. At least if you want to avoid problems down the road. Luckily, most of the work can be done by yourself in your driveway (when it isn't raining, right?)

A lift is usually started by someone wanting to put on bigger tires, the thing that started this conversation. Bigger tires also often times require a gear change. You can get away with a 31" tire without a gear change and no lift. Adding a small lift like the OME, BDS, or a set of springs and shocks like the H&R / Bilstein combination may be all you need. That's with some minor adjustments here and there, plus a few additional parts like a ZJ tie rod conversion and steering stop adjustments. 32 - 33" tires off road will require a bit more adjustments and a taller lift. New wheels with correct backspacing. Probably a gear change. Those lift kits are a little more complete and more expensive. Currie, Savvy, Metalcloak or a combo lift like the well regarded Zone combo lift where you install a short lift kit and a body lift.

Where are you at on tire size? What transmission do you have, as in automatic vs. manual?

Reactions: JMT and Marc L
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-man-emu-ultimate-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

http://bds-suspension.com/product?kid=417H

http://jksmfg.com/i-22825500-jspec-...06-jeep-wrangler-tj.html?ref=category:1205514

http://www.gorancho.com/products/su...-wrangler-tj-2-5-in-sport-system-rs6503b.html

Just some options. As you can see, some kits include things that others don't, so some research on your part may be needed to get everything you need to make it right. If your shocks are stock and the springs are lift springs, then you'll have issues.

Reactions: JMT and Marc L
Such a loaded question:

My favorite lift for those on a budged who don't want to go extreme and have to change out a bunch of stuff is the OME 2.5" HD lift kit. I ran that for a while and loved it. Only reason I got rid of it was to go to my Currie 4" lift for more height. However, that OME kit is what I would go with if I could do it all over again. It rides so well!

Reactions: Marc L
So this is what they suggested to do to my Jeep:
upload_2017-10-12_15-33-27.png

upload_2017-10-12_15-34-33.png

Your thoughts?

upload_2017-10-12_15-30-11.png

That RE kit comes with an adjustable front track bar. Didn't you say you already had an adjustable up front?

Well, they didn't quote you bad parts. If you're not going to do heavy duty offroading though, you can get stock control arms for a couple hundred bucks, and save some money.

What do you currently have for tires? Stock JK 18's? Those are around 32" right? you really only need 2 inches of lift, so a 3.5" kit is overkill...so is the SYE and driveshaft. That will also save some money...

I can’t speak for OME

Are you ever has the opportunity to ran and/or drive on an OME equipped rig?

Based on your Key words "I want to do a bit of off roading but not real serious stuff" I will recommend to look on something that gave you a quality ride. That was my thinking line when I do start Project Unlimited, No regrets on going OME even when my offroad desire went from not serious to heavy on no time.