What lift size for 33" or 34" tire?

What I mean by 'comfortably' is that for instance, you can fit 33" tires on 2.5" of lift. Here is my TJ with a 2.5" OME lift on 33" tires (this is before I went to the 4" lift):

View attachment 3580 View attachment 3581

Notice how much less fender clearance / gap I have in these photos versus the ones I posted before with the 4" lift?

Well, that extra 1.5" from the 4" lift made a huge difference.

So, you can put 33" tires on 2.5", but the problem you'll have is that if you like to do a lot of serious off-roading you're going to reduce the amount of flex and wheel travel you have due to the lower lift height.

You'll most likely have to increase the amount of bump stop with 2.5" of lift to keep the tires from hitting the fender, since they're a lot closer.

So yeah, 2.5" of lift and 33" tires will work just fine. However, if you want to take it off-road and get a decent amount of flex out of it, I'd stick to 3.5" to 4" of lift personally.

I'm speaking from experience as well, since I've had both 2.5" on 33" tires and then moved up to 4" on 33" tires.
Resurrecting an old thread I know. But had to ask if you were running spacers with the factory MOABs with the 4 inch lift? Love the look of the MOABs but concerned with the backspacing for larger tires (33s or 35s)

Resurrecting an old thread I know. But had to ask if you were running spacers with the factory MOABs with the 4 inch lift? Love the look of the MOABs but concerned with the backspacing for larger tires (33s or 35s)
Nope, no spacers at all 👍

Not sure if an LJ helps, but 33s, 1.25” BL, 2” lift and a spacer for the rake up front.

avoid the 16” moabs though, the tire options get very limited.

C63490C2-5DC8-4485-A1DE-BD473E64E0DF.jpeg

Reactions: taylormade73
Oh I have read it a few times lol

Did you do the sye and stuff at the end of the article it said LJ's don't have to some times ?

Not sure if an LJ helps, but 33s, 1.25” BL, 2” lift and a spacer for the rake up front.

avoid the 16” moabs though, the tire options get very limited.

View attachment 146555
Love this set up. How is the overall drivability? I just bought a stock LJ with very low miles and wanting to do a lift nearly just like this. - But just a little apprehensive as I will be doing many highway trips, any recommendations?

Love this set up. How is the overall drivability? I just bought a stock LJ with very low miles and wanting to do a lift nearly just like this. - But just a little apprehensive as I will be doing many highway trips, any recommendations?

It wasn’t bad once I updated the steering components and checked my alignment regularly. Though to be fair, I only ran that setup for about 9 months before going to a 4” lift on which I just did a 1200 mile trip without issue. If the Jeep is properly set up it can drive pretty nicely, that is still true now as it was back in March.

Good to know. Well I guess Im looking for the same thing, as I will be doing a few 500 miles road trips every couple months. - Newbie here to the forums and tried looking at Jeep part sites to get an idea, but there is many different variations and reviews to where Im kind of unsure what to go with. Could you tell me the lift and components you purchased? Just looking for a stance much like yours, highway capable, trail riding on occasion and will fit up to 33's.

I installed a 3" Zone suspension lift on my LJ and am running 255/75-17 tires (approximately 32"). My drivability if fine.

With the Zone lift, the front track bar lower mount is relocated, and a relocation bracket is used for the rear. Spacers were installed in the transfer case skid plate to improve driveline angles.

What have I changed since the initial installation;

1. I replaced the Zone Nitro shocks with Ranchos improved ride.

2. After I re-geared my axles, I encountered a vibration about 60 MPH. Rear upper adjustable control arms allowed me to dial in my pinion/driveshaft angle to fix that problem.

3. I installed an adjustable front track bar to better center my front axle.

4. Someday I plan to install a SYE and get rid of the transfer case skid spacers.

Good to know. Well I guess Im looking for the same thing, as I will be doing a few 500 miles road trips every couple months. - Newbie here to the forums and tried looking at Jeep part sites to get an idea, but there is many different variations and reviews to where Im kind of unsure what to go with. Could you tell me the lift and components you purchased? Just looking for a stance much like yours, highway capable, trail riding on occasion and will fit up to 33's.

For the 2” lift it was:

* OME Springs 2942/2933
* JKS adjustable track bars front and rear
* Rancho shocks (I got the ones for the 2” lift and they were too long, so I won’t list the numbers)
* Savvy belly up skid
* Tom wood’s rear driveshaft
* Savvy double adjustable arms (at 2.5 you could get away with just the rear uppers and lowers)
* Savvy 1.25” body lift
* Savvy shifter cable
* MORE 1” motor mount lift
* Bump stop extensions (rear)

Not all of that is required, but I’d say it is all worth it. You could substitute some preferences in there too (e.g. different skid, different driveshaft maker, different rigid body lift - just don’t do the JKS poly, different motor mount lift)

Other than the springs and shocks, most of that is still on there at 4” with adjustments.