What makes RockJock better than JKS or BDS?

Interesting. I had heard the same thing about Tesla tires and our factory tires lasted about 40k miles and they aren’t even very durable tires.

Engineering explained did a video on ev specific tires that was interesting. I assumed it would easier for the rivian being truck based.

Back to rock jock. I guess all my rock jock purchases lately have put me on a their list. It looks like created a new Facebook group rockjock4x4 friends.

Apparently those rivians have been burning up the factory front tires a very high rate. According to several sources and rivian forums.

I like the suv but not the front. It looks like a pair of dyson fans headed towards you

Yeah.if i could change the headlights and grill somehow, it would be a decent looking car

Last edited:
Reactions: Longwhitejeep
I'm coming around on the JJ stuff. But I'm not thrilled with all this talk of yearly disassembly. At that point their durability is minimized since the time/effort commitment is the same as if they just wore out that fast. Yeah I'm not replacing parts but it would be nice to just purge them with a grease gun and move on.

Are the JJs used in these kits a standard joint and not specific to the platform so that if they were to stop making this particular lift I would no longer be able to service these joints?

Are the JJs used in these kits a standard joint and not specific to the platform so that if they were to stop making this particular lift I would no longer be able to service these joints?

If you look at the RockJock site you will see that Johnny Joints are not specifically sold for any particular lift kit. They are sold in varying sizes and a handful for specific applications like the frame side track bar joint.

Reactions: Bud125
If you look at the RockJock site you will see that Johnny Joints are not specifically sold for any particular lift kit. They are sold in varying sizes and a handful for specific applications like the frame side track bar joint.

But that's the whole joint and not the rebuild kits right? Like the track bar joint uses standard internals just a custom housing/casting.

But that's the whole joint and not the rebuild kits right? Like the track bar joint uses standard internals just a custom housing/casting.

Once you have a complete Johnny Joint, it is rare to replace more than the poly races. And it is even more rare to replace the races when you know you can just shim them tight again.

I'm coming around on the JJ stuff. But I'm not thrilled with all this talk of yearly disassembly. At that point their durability is minimized since the time/effort commitment is the same as if they just wore out that fast. Yeah I'm not replacing parts but it would be nice to just purge them with a grease gun and move on.

If Jerry were still here, he’d tell you that his Johnny Joints have been problem free on his rig for around 10 years. With no rebuild or regrease despite his reportedly “hard wheeling”.

If Jerry were still here, he’d tell you that his Johnny Joints have been problem free on his rig for around 10 years. With no rebuild or regrease despite his reportedly “hard wheeling”.

And he'd be correct (pre-Florida move). 🤫

Reactions: RangerTJ

The same joints are universally used in many applications and for different vehicles. The joints are not TJ specific and the rebuild kits will not go away any time soon.

Donate 100k$ to my cybertruck fund and I'll play with one for a while before selling it.
There exists some folks in this world who have used examples to pervert common sense and ruin good accepted knowledge and understanding which have caused me to then just walk away never to return.

After many years and many repairs where the TJ cooling system was learned, understood, and the operation thereof was second nature, there would be the single example of "fixing" an overheating XJ with a lower temp thermostat. It didn't matter how many times I would ask if we would ever "fix" a TJ with an overheat issue by installing a lower temp thermostat and receiving a resounding no as the answer, that fucking single outlier example that should have been ignored and never brought forward in any cooling system discussion was brought forward and tossed out there to dispute the logic and common sense of cooling system function. And in every cooling system discussion, rather than focus our energy on the diagnostics and solutions, we had to put lots of time into explaining how it works again, with a but, and again, with a but, and again, with a but, and again, with a but. The but being yeah that's how it works but I fixed that XJ with a different thermostat. Why do we have to keep doing this? It is an outlier, it doesn't work that way, we know it doesn't work that way, it can't work that way, and we both know that isn't how you fix overheating cooling systems. Yeah, but.

Then we had to test some brake pads. It was more effort on my side than there should have been but eventually I got lots of feedback. Very detailed, very elaborate and I related that info to my supplier. He was not happy with the less than stellar report and wanted to chat with the tester. I put them in touch and in short order I get a call back wanting to know why I didn't tell him that the pads would lock up 35's in a heartbeat. Well, mainly due to the fact that bit of info was not shared with me from the tester.

My question was why that wasn't the first bit since it is the single most important aspect of the criteria by which we evaluate pads? You didn't ask. Look, you're not the tiniest bit stupid, you are incredibly smart, so again, why don't I know that first? You didn't ask. Well, I didn't think I would have to since your job was to evaluate and report. Especially since you inherently understand that when the first big brake kits were developed, it was difficult to find a pad back then that would lock up 35's. Now we have stock replacement pads that will do it, but the first criteria tested for is the whether or not they will lock up the tires, then we do the rest. My brother had a TJ that would lock up 35's with the stock pads. I'm not playing this game with you again, click.

Point being, outliers are just that, they should never be the tail that wags the dog, they should be discounted for being anomalous, not relevant, and not something to waste time discussing except in conversations about irrelevant outliers that shouldn't factor into discussions about how to solve a common problem.

• USA Proud
Reactions: psrivats and L J
There exists some folks in this world who have used examples to pervert common sense and ruin good accepted knowledge and understanding which have caused me to then just walk away never to return.

After many years and many repairs where the TJ cooling system was learned, understood, and the operation thereof was second nature, there would be the single example of "fixing" an overheating XJ with a lower temp thermostat. It didn't matter how many times I would ask if we would ever "fix" a TJ with an overheat issue by installing a lower temp thermostat and receiving a resounding no as the answer, that fucking single outlier example that should have been ignored and never brought forward in any cooling system discussion was brought forward and tossed out there to dispute the logic and common sense of cooling system function. And in every cooling system discussion, rather than focus our energy on the diagnostics and solutions, we had to put lots of time into explaining how it works again, with a but, and again, with a but, and again, with a but, and again, with a but. The but being yeah that's how it works but I fixed that XJ with a different thermostat. Why do we have to keep doing this? It is an outlier, it doesn't work that way, we know it doesn't work that way, it can't work that way, and we both know that isn't how you fix overheating cooling systems. Yeah, but.

Then we had to test some brake pads. It was more effort on my side than there should have been but eventually I got lots of feedback. Very detailed, very elaborate and I related that info to my supplier. He was not happy with the less than stellar report and wanted to chat with the tester. I put them in touch and in short order I get a call back wanting to know why I didn't tell him that the pads would lock up 35's in a heartbeat. Well, mainly due to the fact that bit of info was not shared with me from the tester.

My question was why that wasn't the first bit since it is the single most important aspect of the criteria by which we evaluate pads? You didn't ask. Look, you're not the tiniest bit stupid, you are incredibly smart, so again, why don't I know that first? You didn't ask. Well, I didn't think I would have to since your job was to evaluate and report. Especially since you inherently understand that when the first big brake kits were developed, it was difficult to find a pad back then that would lock up 35's. Now we have stock replacement pads that will do it, but the first criteria tested for is the whether or not they will lock up the tires, then we do the rest. My brother had a TJ that would lock up 35's with the stock pads. I'm not playing this game with you again, click.

Point being, outliers are just that, they should never be the tail that wags the dog, they should be discounted for being anomalous, not relevant, and not something to waste time discussing except in conversations about irrelevant outliers that shouldn't factor into discussions about how to solve a common problem.

My use is an outlier for almost everyone in this forum. I make no broad assertions about it otherwise or am trying to convince anyone to sell their automatics.

While automatics are a better choice in general they won't be for me until i get an overdrive auto And much lower gearing.

I can't help it if there are people bothered by that.31's and 4.56/4.88 would be a poor choice for my dads 32rh/3.73/31s tj. He can live with hot brakes at the bottom of the hill since it's what he already has.i on the other hand will not be installing a 32rh for my uses.it isn't going to work better. I would be giving up freeway speeds and mpgs

I'm disappointed that you and others weren't willing to have a discussion about an outlier,taking it for what it is. It's ok though.you guys are as human as the rest of us,and at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

When doing statistical analysis with a data set that’s less than ideal, it’s not uncommon to throw away your largest and smallest result as outliers. Maybe we should do that to the people who claim thermostats can fix a broken cooling system?

Reactions: psrivats