Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

What manual shifter knob do you have?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Real men drink Coca-Cola:
zorba-work-2012.jpg

Fulton_Hogan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Question for this thread:
Those of you who drilled out and/or used inserts for your shift knobs, did you use helicoils, full-steel inserts, or something else?

I understand if I use a knob with smaller diameter (say 3/8"-16) I'll need to drill out the smaller threads, then tap for an insert which will provide the correct internal 10x1.5 threads.
This is what I understand I'd need for this option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2URQWB/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If I use a knob with a larger hole (say 1/2"-13 or larger), can I simply screw in an insert that matches the larger external threads, but with the correct internal 10-1.5 threads and be done?
This is what I think I may need for this option: https://www.ezlok.com/ezlok-insert-319-M10

Any advice or guidance provided is greatly appreciated.

Fulton_Hogan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have this one! I really enjoy it, and it has a nice hand feel.
Those are pretty good, but the knob I have in mind will (in all propability) go like everything else I do.

I'll wake up one day with a "need" for some obscure modification, so I buy something close to what I want, overthink its modifications, and then over-engineer the work to get it installed and operational.

Sounds crazy, but it's how I roll; so this project will be no different, I'm sure.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Those of you who drilled out and/or used inserts for your shift knobs, did you use helicoils, full-steel inserts, or something else?

I understand if I use a knob with smaller diameter (say 3/8"-16) I'll need to drill out the smaller threads, then tap for an insert which will provide the correct internal 10x1.5 threads.
This is what I understand I'd need for this option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2URQWB/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If I use a knob with a larger hole (say 1/2"-13 or larger), can I simply screw in an insert that matches the larger external threads, but with the correct internal 10-1.5 threads and be done?
This is what I think I may need for this option: https://www.ezlok.com/ezlok-insert-319-M10

I needed an insert for mine - and its a bit of a story. They're available lots of places, I seem to recall their being about $5-$6. But - at the time I was in the market for one, EVERYBODY was shipping them via overpriced Priority (A pet peeve for light items) for $8+. I ended up buying one from someone in the UK for $8.50 shipped! In other words, the cost of the adapter plus shipping all the way across the fucking Atlantic ocean was the same as shipping alone from anybody I found in the US. The mind boggles...

Fulton_Hogan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I needed an insert for mine - and its a bit of a story. They're available lots of places, I seem to recall their being about $5-$6. But - at the time I was in the market for one, EVERYBODY was shipping them via overpriced Priority (A pet peeve for light items) for $8+. I ended up buying one from someone in the UK for $8.50 shipped! In other words, the cost of the adapter plus shipping all the way across the fucking Atlantic ocean was the same as shipping alone from anybody I found in the US. The mind boggles...
Yes, I am aware of that happening, I never enjoy doubling an item's price due to shipping so I do try and factor that when buying.

Based on what you describe, I'm guessing you downsized from an metric 12 or metric 16 to the 10-1.5. Just a screw-in insert right?

How's it holding up; no rattles, loosening?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Yes, I am aware of that happening, I never enjoy doubling an item's price due to shipping so I do try and factor that when buying.

Based on what you describe, I'm guessing you downsized from an metric 12 or metric 16 to the 10-1.5. Just a screw-in insert right?

How's it holding up; no rattles, loosening?
Yea - I forget what the knob size was now - only that it was larger. I put a bit of blue loktite on it, no problems - There's a thin jam nut at the bottom to keep things tite and positioned correctly.

I also put a 3 inch extension on the main transmission lever.

2b7.jpg

Fulton_Hogan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Yea - I forget what the knob size was now - only that it was larger. I put a bit of blue loktite on it, no problems - There's a thin jam nut at the bottom to keep things tite and positioned correctly.

I also put a 3 inch extension on the main transmission lever.

View attachment 330247
Awesome, thank you for the quick response and follow up picture.

Anyone else?

MikekiM

TJ Enthusiast
I’ve switched knobs again. I still have the stock, and a large white Q-Ball I installed last year, but now have the one that came with the B&M Short Shifter. A bit smaller than the Q-Ball. I like it !

That said, if anyone has the same one I do, but in white, let me know! I want!

9B636AD3-6699-45C1-A9A3-42E71109C4BF.jpeg

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
@Zorba WTH is with all that technology? AND it's mechless?? :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 330249
Technology that makes sense - not some smartphone/bluetooth bullshit. Don't have the SiriusXM add-on.

I bought a new CD player for the Mercedes in 2016, to replace the (used) one I had installed in 2003 or so that finally crapped out. I virtually never use the CD player, just plug in a Geek stick, so when I bought the stereo for the Jeep, I just went mechless. There *is* a version of this that has a CD player - and even bluetooth for the smartphone addled...

Hesher

Supporting Member
I love the straight TC shift rod a few of you have, but I can’t seem to find anything like that on eBay at this time. Anyone got a link to something similar?

freedom_in_4low

Sacred Order of the Coil Spring
Supporting Member

3/8-16 is actually really close to M10x1.5. So close in fact that I've had success just running an M10 tap through the 3/8 threads on an old CJ shift knob and it threaded right on.

3/8-16 = M9.5 x 1.58

I wouldn't suggest doing that on a critical, loaded fastener but it works on a shift knob.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
3/8-16 is actually really close to M10x1.5. So close in fact that I've had success just running an M10 tap through the 3/8 threads on an old CJ shift knob and it threaded right on.

3/8-16 = M9.5 x 1.58

I wouldn't suggest doing that on a critical, loaded fastener but it works on a shift knob.
Click.

Ya know, the threaded bushing I bought was supposed to be M10x1.5. It just wouldn't thread on all the way. Figured something was wrong with it and ran a tap through it and it was fine after that. Now I wonder if it was actually a 3/8-16, even though it came from the UK...