What manual shifter knob do you have?

It's funny you mention "left foot braking". My Mom was a professional driving instructor in New Jersey (Taggart's Driving School) for many years; she taught ME to drive when I was 12 years old (in a 1962 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, of all things). She specifically taught me to USE my left foot when braking, due to the reduced reaction time involved with having your foot poised & ready OVER the brake pedal and even VERY lightly resting on it. She also advised me to NOT do so when I took my New Jersey Driving Test, which at the time was administered by the New Jersey State Police. I can tell you that there are few things more intimidating than taking your driving test with a uniformed State Police Officer sitting in the car next to you - big hat on, clipboard in hand, watching your every move like a hawk! I specifically remember the armpits of my shirt being soaked to the elbows and waistband, LOL. He made me parallel park both left & right, and negotiate several traffic circles (or "roundabouts") during New Jersey urban traffic. Anyway, I inadvertently used my left foot a single time; the officer "caught" me doing so. I told him that my Mom was a professional driving instructor who taught me to do so - he said: "Well, if you want to pass your driving test TODAY, then don't let me see you do that AGAIN, young man!" I didn't, I passed, and I've been left foot braking ever since. I can tell you that it's saved my bacon COUNTLESS times driving the Freeways in the 18 years I lived in Southern California; nor have I experienced ANY accelerated brake pad wear in any of the vehicles I've owned in the last 49 years. I also have NO problem switching back & forth between automatic and manual transmission vehicles...
My wife is the same way - uses her left foot to brake when driving an automatic. She doesn't rest her foot on the brake, or even poised over it, but the foot comes up off the floor and onto the brake pedal as needed. Then she brakes with her right foot driving manuals. Makes ZERO sense to me, but it works for her. She wasn't taught it, in fact her father wasn't too happy about it at first, but as she doesn't cause any problems with it - its all good!

13 FL OZ!?! Whoa, serious drinkers only!
Let me tell you couple of cans of "Bush Chook" knocked every US visiting service person for 6 leaving them to be picked up in the streets by MP,s "Bush Chook" or Emu Export was not exported anywhere And Swan Draught was in a can or bottle, Swan Larger was on tap or draught lol

Reactions: L J
It's funny you mention "left foot braking". My Mom was a professional driving instructor in New Jersey (Taggart's Driving School) for many years; she taught ME to drive when I was 12 years old (in a 1962 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, of all things). She specifically taught me to USE my left foot when braking, due to the reduced reaction time involved with having your foot poised & ready OVER the brake pedal and even VERY lightly resting on it. She also advised me to NOT do so when I took my New Jersey Driving Test, which at the time was administered by the New Jersey State Police. I can tell you that there are few things more intimidating than taking your driving test with a uniformed State Police Officer sitting in the car next to you - big hat on, clipboard in hand, watching your every move like a hawk! I specifically remember the armpits of my shirt being soaked to the elbows and waistband, LOL. He made me parallel park both left & right, and negotiate several traffic circles (or "roundabouts") during New Jersey urban traffic. Anyway, I inadvertently used my left foot a single time; the officer "caught" me doing so. I told him that my Mom was a professional driving instructor who taught me to do so - he said: "Well, if you want to pass your driving test TODAY, then don't let me see you do that AGAIN, young man!" I didn't, I passed, and I've been left foot braking ever since. I can tell you that it's saved my bacon COUNTLESS times driving the Freeways in the 18 years I lived in Southern California; nor have I experienced ANY accelerated brake pad wear in any of the vehicles I've owned in the last 49 years. I also have NO problem switching back & forth between automatic and manual transmission vehicles...
And caused loads of accidents in your wake by having your brake lights constantly going on and off!

Driving with 2 feet in an automatic is a ridiculous dangerous thing many women seem to do! and left foot breaking in a manual is also dangerous and idiotic on a public road, sorry had to say it but its true!

had a neighbor that drove with both feet. he was always either pushing on right, left or both feet at the same time. you'd get damn whiplash riding with him. i guess it would of been ok if he would of done it to the music. i bet he changed the brake pads every time he filled the gas tank. 90mph, 40 mph, 90... 40 and that was every 100yds one second your head was in the dash next you were pinned back in the seat. i would only ride with him in a emergency by god situation.......

had a neighbor that drove with both feet. he was always either pushing on right, left or both feet at the same time. you'd get damn whiplash riding with him. i guess it would of been ok if he would of done it to the music. i bet he changed the brake pads every time he filled the gas tank. 90mph, 40 mph, 90... 40 and that was every 100yds one second your head was in the dash next you were pinned back in the seat. i would only ride with him in a emergency by god situation.......
I too had a neighbor like this. Came up behind them at a traffic signal. Brakes lites were on, and the ass end of the car was wiggling up and down because the engine must have been running 2 or 3 thousand RPM. Replacing the rotors was part of a normal brake job for this guy - every 10K miles or so.

I expect to get at least 100K out of a set of shoes/pads. Had my wife's car in at the tire shop once - they'd do a courtesy inspection - they had nothing in the deal as they only did tires. They told me the I needed to start thinking about a brake job fairly soon as there was only 60% left on the pads. I expressed my opinion that that was nothing to be concerned about. "When was the last time the brakes were done?" - My response seemed to shock them: "The car has 60K miles on it, its never had a brake job and at this rate it'll be somewhere north of 120K when it does!"

There's clearly a "right way" & a "wrong way" to do this; the folks you're quoting fall into the latter camp. Talk to any former go kart racer, current or former NASCAR driver, or (I imagine) any Formula 1 driver and I'll bet you a cookie that they drive (on the skreet) using both feet...

I sold my Isuzu Vehicross a few years ago that I drove ~75K miles under my ownership with ~130K miles on the odometer, and the original brake pads still intact with PLENTY of material left on them. Maybe *I* have figgered it out, perhaps?

Anyone that's driven on California Freeways will confess to driving 80-85mph, cresting a small hill, only to find traffic DEAD stopped! I can't EVEN count the number of times that my having my left foot poised over the brake pedal meant the difference between stopping and (at best) having to swerve onto the shoulder or median to avoid rear-ending someone. I was a traveling salesman for 20+ years driving 50-60K miles/year; in 49 years of driving I've had ZERO accidents. You boys do it your way, and I'll (keep doing it) my way...

I've never driven 80-85 MPH on the freeway - California or otherwise - in my life! But I *am* very familiar with the California "Jam & Slam"!
You want to try Germany. We took our new BMW there in 2003. I decided to see how fast it would go but I got scared at 130. We were overtaken by a Mercedes doing at least 150…

You want to try Germany. We took our new BMW there in 2003. I decided to see how fast it would go but I got scared at 130. We were overtaken by a Mercedes doing at least 150…
I got an '88 Ford Tempo up to 88 MPH on a back country road years back. It was scary, have never done faster than 75 since then, and I really don't like going that fast, prefer 65-70. The old Mercedes is rock solid at 75, but I still don't like going that fast.

Unfortunately, the Tempo wasn't equipped with a flux capacitor.

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
I got an '88 Ford Tempo up to 88 MPH on a back country road years back. It was scary, have never done faster than 75 since then, and I really don't like going that fast, prefer 65-70. The old Mercedes is rock solid at 75, but I still don't like going that fast.

I've outgrown the high speed antics. Most of the roads around here aren't long enough. I used to be into big hp. The speedometer went to 140 mph. Faster than that and I had to estimate. We have a few roads that are all but deserted and run alongside the ocean. Never endangered anyone but myself. Pretty stupid now that I look back on it...

I've outgrown the high speed antics. Most of the roads around here aren't long enough. I used to be into big hp. The speedometer went to 140 mph. Faster than that and I had to estimate. We have a few roads that are all but deserted and run alongside the ocean. Never endangered anyone but myself. Pretty stupid now that I look back on it...
Yea - I hear you. I've never been into high speed, antics or otherwise. I like torque monsters - massive amounts of it just off idle and redline at 2500 RPM is just *fine* as long as I have enough gears! That's why I'm fond of the 4.0. Yea, it isn't a diesel, and no, it isn't my beloved GMC V6 - but it still has plenty of torque down fairly low, although the 750 RPM idle is a bit fast!

Reactions: MikekiM

The Ford Tempo was Larghissimo

Yea - I hear you. I've never been into high speed, antics or otherwise. I like torque monsters - massive amounts of it just off idle and redline at 2500 RPM is just *fine* as long as I have enough gears! That's why I'm fond of the 4.0. Yea, it isn't a diesel, and no, it isn't my beloved GMC V6 - but it still has plenty of torque down fairly low, although the 750 RPM idle is a bit fast!
High revving twin turbo '01 Audi S4. Full euro RS4 spec, Custom tuned by a shop up in CT. In retrospect it was a major waste of money. Such a limited use ride. I sold it shortly after I got my first JK.

470--ish ft lbs on a Mustang Dyno. Mid 450 ft lbs at the wheels in an AWD.
The K04 turbos could spool up in a blink.

Dyno numbers.jpg

High revving twin turbo '01 Audi S4. Full euro RS4 spec, Custom tuned by a shop up in CT. In retrospect it was a major waste of money. Such a limited use ride. I sold it shortly after I got my first JK.

470--ish ft lbs on a Mustang Dyno. Mid 450 ft lbs at the wheels in an AWD.
The K04 turbos could spool up in a blink.

View attachment 293838

Mustang Dyno? What's that tell you, how quickly you can take out a crowd?