What Mods Do You Regret?

dylansalrin

Orthopedic Circulator
Supporting Member
Is there ever a mod you regretted purchasing/installing? or something you later took off or replaced? I know many say hi lift or rough country. I sort of instantly regretted putting on my smittybilt SRC roof rack even though it was free ha.

• Neoprene seat covers on my 1st TJ
  • Buying 15x7 wheels and not 15x8 for my at the time new 31s
  • Buying a TJ instead of an LJ
  • Buying a model X instead of a Rubicon
I could probably keep going but I'll stop. Lessons learned. I research way more now before making any purchases. I don't know who coined it but "buy once, cry once" is the way to do it. :)

Reactions: zip04
My biggest regrets are:
1) JKS Quick Disconnects
2) eBay bumpers

The JKS quick disconnects 1) aren't that much cheaper than an anti-rock, 2) they've bent my inner fender of my Metalcloak fenders, and 3) one has started making popping noises while I'm driving. I'm looking forward to the day when I can sell them off for cheap and pony up for the Currie AR.

I bought the eBay bumpers about 4-5 years ago, I think it was from SamsBumperBarn or something like that. Long story short, they are solidly built bumpers with shackle mounts welded all the way through, but the holes needed a little drilling to fit and I didn't have the means to do that at the time. Dude was an asshole about it, said there's no way they don't fit even after I sent picture evidence. He sent me a new front bumper that fit slightly better, but refused to send a new rear one, take the first one back, or even acknowledge that it wouldn't fit without modification. Unfortunately, I found out they didn't fit after I had already painted them with POR-15. All three are currently sitting in my garage.

With that said, if anyone doesn't mind a little drilling, I'll give you a smoking deal on the bumpers as long as you pay shipping:D

Last edited:
The Rubicon Express 4.5" long-arm suspension I installed into my previous TJ. (long arms kept hanging the TJ up on the rocks, the geometry was bad which caused my front-end to unload and want to lift up too far on steep climbs or tough obstacles)

Edit: I'll add a few more notables...

Teraflex control arms (not flexible enough, tore two control arm mounting brackets off)
4.10 gearing with 33" tires and my previous TJ's 5-speed transmission (left the Jeep undergeared)
K&N Air Filter (passes way too much desert dust & dirt)
All Terrain Tires (not aggressive enough for my wheeling areas)
ProComp ES-3000 shocks (way too stiff)
Nerf bars (get in the way, offer no protection against anything)
But never an inclinometer (shows useless misleading information) :D

Last edited:
The Rubicon Express 4.5" long-arm suspension I installed into my previous TJ.

Teraflex control arms
4.10 gearing with 33" tires and my previous TJ's 5-speed transmission (left the Jeep undergeared)
K&N Air Filter
All Terrain Tires
ProComp ES-3000 shocks
Nerf bars
But never an inclinometer :D

It would be nice to know why you don't like something. Us noobs could use the education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Neoprene seat covers on my 1st TJ
  • Buying 15x7 wheels and not 15x8 for my at the time new 31s
  • Buying a TJ instead of an LJ
  • Buying a model X instead of a Rubicon
I could probably keep going but I'll stop. Lessons learned. I research way more now before making any purchases. I don't know who coined it but "buy once, cry once" is the way to do it. :)

LEDs. I bought into the "LEDs are the greatest thing in lighting" hype, so I originally had a pair of 42 watt spots and a 12" flood bar on my Jeep. I couldn't see worth a damn with them. I replaced them with halogens and WOW can I light up the night.

Reactions: DCB
The Rubicon Express 4.5" long-arm suspension I installed into my previous TJ. (long arms kept hanging the TJ up on the rocks, the geometry was bad which caused my front-end to unload and want to lift up too far on steep climbs or tough obstacles)

Teraflex control arms (not flexible enough, tore two control arm mounting brackets off)
K&N Air Filter (passes way too much desert dust & dirt)
All Terrain Tires (not aggressive enough for my wheeling areas)
ProComp ES-3000 shocks (way too stiff)
Nerf bars (get in the way, offer no protection against anything)
But never an inclinometer (shows useless misleading information) :D
Thanks

I just added everything up in order to run 35s on my lj.. new wheels, new tires, big brake kit (holy Jesus I never knew brakes were so expensive), regearing, chromoly shafts, 4" long arm lift... well over $5000.... I feel I may regret that after my bank account cripples [emoji23][emoji23]

(1)I previously regretted purchasing a Bestop safari bikini top as it certainly was a PITA until i did some re-fabrication.
The material used was no doubt high quality but obvious design flaws.
Anything over 40 mph, the back of top was flapping away and back straps failed miserably.....simple mod fixed that.
Taking the top on and off was a battle until i finally just decided to glue the top to the header. Now it's a quick and functional top.
(2) MT tires, they vibrated the hell out of me, gave them to a friend and installed AT tires, what a difference.
(3) this is a complaint......why would Jeep /Chrysler put a transmission filter above a pan that had no drain. Let me guess, so we can actually taste the fluid ? Lol

Reactions: dylansalrin