What OBDII Reader is best for TJs?

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So i've had a code or two for the past week and i've been trying to troubleshoot it. I did not have an OBD-II reader/scanner yet so the first time a check engine light came on I just went to the closest generic auto parts store and had them read it and erase the codes. The check engine light has since come back on and I figured I would just buy a relatively cheap reader to have on hand or carry on the Jeep since mine does not have a built-in way to check codes.

Anyway I bought one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FSNL73/?tag=wranglerorg-20 and this can read the codes but will NOT erase them. But every time I go to a shop/store they can erase it no problem. Why can mine not erase them but others can? Which is leading me to inquire about what others are using...do I have the wrong type of scanner or am I doing something wrong. When I attempt to clear the codes, it just keeps telling me to have the vehicle in the on position with the engine off, then run the erase. Then I do that and consistently keep getting the error message telling me to do the same thing again.

What are you all using?

You're sure it's in the run position and not the accessory position?

I use an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro on my phone.

You're sure it's in the run position and not the accessory position?

I use an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro on my phone.
Man I tried it in every position and I keep getting the same error message. I must be doing something wrong, and I feel like an idiot. Especially cause I can use the same reader to clear the code on my wife's Jeep but not on my TJ.

Try to erase the codes with the engine running, not just with the key in the "on" position. Let us know what happens.

I had an identical issue with a borrowed scan tool. It cleared the codes on his Nissan but not on my TJ of the same model year. Another scan tool produced by someone else in the group erased the code on my jeep just fine.

Are you still within the return period with Amazon?

I bought this one from Amazon after the trip referenced above and it works fine on my TJ: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5EA74I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: EJD
Try to erase the codes with the engine running, not just with the key in the "on" position. Let us know what happens.

I had an identical issue with a borrowed scan tool. It cleared the codes on his Nissan but not on my TJ of the same model year. Another scan tool produced by someone else in the group erased the code on my jeep just fine.

Are you still within the return period with Amazon?

I bought this one from Amazon after the trip referenced above and it works fine on my TJ: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5EA74I/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Yeah if I attempt to erase codes with the engine running it says the same thing too. Says something like error, turn vehicle to on position with the engine off, then hit any key to continue. The I do and I get the same message no matter what position the key is in and if the engine is on or off. Then I got to AutoZone down the street and they reset it no problem with theirs (which does not look like an expensive one at all). I basically have the same one you do, its just the 410 instead of the 310 so I would assume the software is the same for Ancel products.

What year is your TJ btw? Mine is 2000.

Yeah if I attempt to erase codes with the engine running it says the same thing too. Says something like error, turn vehicle to on position with the engine off, then hit any key to continue. The I do and I get the same message no matter what position the key is in and if the engine is on or off. Then I got to AutoZone down the street and they reset it no problem with theirs (which does not look like an expensive one at all). I basically have the same one you do, its just the 410 instead of the 310 so I would assume the software is the same for Ancel products.

What year is your TJ btw? Mine is 2000.
Did you do the online update?

OBD readers usually have a way to update them, I have an old one from one of the box parts stores, I update it every couple of years..at least until it was obsolete. Just go to their website and see if they have online firmware updates. Some are free, some cost money.

I've got one of the more expensive Harbor Freight ones and use it on both my LJ and Mrs Willy's '15 Volvo XC-60. It works great for me. I'm also running an Ultragauge on the LJ but don't know if you could clear codes with that.