What octane and type of fuel does your 4.0 like?

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Seems my 4.0 loves non ethanol gas in a slightly higher octane , but it may be in my head .

I realize more octane slows the burn , and ethanol typically doesn't affect larger , fuel injected engines...and they are 2 separate animals.

Reactions: Shatto
Anything over 87 is a waste of money. The low compression ratio only requires 87 octane to ignite properly. If you feel a difference on a stock engine it is all in your head :)

Reactions: Fonz54
I've never found them to be too picky .

Mines got a tuner , exhaust and k and n cold air intake ...if that matters .

It's no beast , just your typical , reliable , torquey , flat on top 4.0

On the tuner - beats me , was on there when I got it . I'm calling it a tuner , it appears to be a plug in module .

Someone threw everything at this Jeep, and parked it .

I did wonder if the k and n ,the exhaust,and the tuner were supposed to be part of a "system " like diesels typically run.... meaning if I wondered if they altered the air fuel with it or something ....I realize I may be way out of school on this.

The Jeep runs good , but about like every 4.0 I've owned . It's a little throatier .

Anything over 87 is a waste of money. The low compression ratio only requires 87 octane to ignite properly. If you feel a difference on a stock engine it is all in your head :)

X2. If you’re putting anything over 87 in it, you’re wasting money. This is a tractor engine, not a Ferrari engine.

Reactions: Fonz54 and B&PDeel
Well said . Are any additives a good idea if it's sat a lot?

I get better gas mileage with ethanol free.

There is truth to that one, I agree.

I'm fortunate to live within a mile of several ethanol free gas stations. Of course it might not be worth it anyways, since it's $1 more per gallon, so I'd have to do the math.

Everything runs better without ethanol in it :risas3:

There is truth to that one, I agree.

I'm fortunate to live within a mile of several ethanol free gas stations.

The closest station to me with ethanol free gas charges over a dollar more per gallon...no thanks.

The closest station to me with ethanol free gas charges over a dollar more per gallon...no thanks.

I know, same with the stations near me. Which is why I mostly only ever go there for gas for my lawn mower and power tools. I'm not sure it would be worth it to put it into the Jeep very often, as the extra 2 mpg or so isn't worth $1 more per gallon.

I know, same with the stations near me. Which is why I mostly only ever go there for gas for my lawn mower and power tools. I'm not sure it would be worth it to put it into the Jeep very often, as the extra 2 mpg or so isn't worth $1 more per gallon.
Back when they weren't so greedy, I did run it in my Tacoma and a previous Jeep. I didn't really notice any benefit, either with the way they ran, or mpg. So it's definitely not worth it to me.

Reactions: Chris
I'm fortunate that I only pay an extra $0.05-0.10/gal for ethonal free of any grade. I'd happily pay more though to support the gas stations that go out of their way to supply it. There isn't much money in it to be made for them. I know the owner of my local gas station and he barely breaks even after paying the bills.

With the right tune, ethanol can make a cheap race gas and runs cooler allowing for huge boost numbers. A lot of the UTV racing guys are doing this on short course.

Reactions: Chris