What other Jeeps do you like besides Wranglers?

-Any Willy's Jeep
-Any full size Jeep Wagoneer or Truck
-CJ
-XJ (first Jeep my family owned, first one I owned)
-MJ
-ZJ and WJ (Dad had a WJ I learned to drive on)
-WK2 is okay, dad currently has a 2013 5.7L

I grew up in the 1990s-early 2000's when XJs, ZJs and WJs were everywhere. I could hear the distinct start-up sound of a 4.0L from across the parking lot, and turned 16 in 2006, so I always lusted after 1990s Jeeps and thought the older stuff was cool too. The newer stuff just doesn't do it for me, not as much character or personality. I remember being 14 or 15 on vacation in Rhode Island and seeing an 84-86 XJ Laredo 4 door manual transmission with the Turbo Diesel and just thinking that was the coolest thing.

Reactions: Zorba
Here is our 67 Commando that we sold to get a TJ Unlimted Rubicon.

And our 1980 FSJ that we use regularly for rock hounding.

078.JPG
1.JPG

Last edited:
I looked at a 69 Jeepster Commando today. Asking $7500.
It has a Buick V6, runs good. 4 speed manual, split shifter transfer case. Body has been painted with black bedliner, white hard top, then cleared over it all. CJ front clip. Quarters and tailgate were rusted and painted. Dana 30 and Dana 35, locked, lifted, 33s, interior was non-existent, lots of rattles, etc.
I love the size of the Commando, but I don't think I can stomach going from my Wrangler (which is pretty cush in comparison) to a 50 yr old 4x4.

I looked at a 69 Jeepster Commando today. Asking $7500.
It has a Buick V6, runs good. 4 speed manual, split shifter transfer case. Body has been painted with black bedliner, white hard top, then cleared over it all. CJ front clip. Quarters and tailgate were rusted and painted. Dana 30 and Dana 35, locked, lifted, 33s, interior was non-existent, lots of rattles, etc.
I love the size of the Commando, but I don't think I can stomach going from my Wrangler (which is pretty cush in comparison) to a 50 yr old 4x4.

I had a Buick V6 "Dauntless" engine in my CJ5, same year, '69. I don't know if it was changed in any way for the larger Commando but they were a great engine. Mine had a very heavy clutch though.

Loved my CJ5s. Don't have one anymore, but here's my favorite one I owned. 350 Chevy, sm465, 4.10s with a locker in the back. Gearing was too high, but the 35s traded places with 33s later which made it much better.

1604628866142.png

Reactions: Zorba
XJ's are an interesting case for me. I was formerly of the opinion that if it wasn't a CJ or Wrangler AND it didn't have round headlights, it wasn't a jeep. But then a friend bought a 99 XJ and wheels the crap out of it. It goes just about anywhere, and it's not a rust bucket, and it is comfortable to ride in.....in short, I have completely done a 180 on the XJ and fully embrace them as 100% Jeep, and ask forgiveness for my prior elitism.