What rims and tires do you guys like and or recommend? (Looking for 33s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryry702

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I picked up a 98 4.0l auto TJ a Couple weeks ago and have spent allot of time on here reading threads and I have learned allot, this looks to be a great community! My Jeep will spend about 80% of the time on the trail and will be mostly trailered around. But I would still like to be able to go for a nice Sunday cruise in it from time to time, and drive it to the closer trails. I don’t plan on doing any super crazy off roading but I want it to be decently capable, so I don’t plan on needing anything bigger then 33s....for now at least.

It currently has some 31s on it that are worn like shit and getting low on tread. it’s got a 2” suspension lift (I think). I want to put some 33s on it with some new steel rims to get me out on the trail. I know I will need a little more of a lift and a few other things to make the 33s work like it should. (I plan on going through and upgrading the axles and diffs this winter) but I’d like to start with some new wheels and tires to make the driving a little more bearable. I also
Just picked up a new set of black magic brakes and plan on doing a rear main, oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket and replace all the fluids this week. So what do you guys recommend for a decent set of rims and tires to get me started? Thanks in advance for your input!

First and foremost, a 2" lift is not enough for 33s. You need a 4" lift to clear 33s if you plan to maintain factory up-travel specs, which are important both on-road and off-road.

With 33s and a 2" lift, you will need to add a considerable amount of bump stop to keep the tires from crashing into your fenders, and this is going to negatively affect both on-road and off-road performance.

When you do decide to go with 33s though (if you insist) you want a wheel with anywhere between 3.75" to 4" of backspacing, and preferably 15x8.

As for tires, a Goodyear Duratrac or BFG KO2 are both excellent choices. Just make sure to buy them in a C load rating.

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on putting a 4” lift on it as well. Looks like I’ll being doing some research on lift kits today, and maybe order the lift kit when I order the tires.

I'm running 33x12.5 tires with a 2" BB lift and no added bump stops with no problems. Its my daily driver so its mostly on the road but I take it off road on the weekends through wooded trails and have never rubbed a fender. I don't do any rock crawling which I'm sure would be a problem if I needed full articulation but for what I do, its fine. So yeah if you wanted to add 33's now and a lift later, it can be done.

I went with Black Rock Viper 900 series 15x8 wheels and Milestar Patagonia M/T 33x12.5R15 tires. The tires ride smooth, are quiet on the road and have plenty of grip off road.

20200702_144819.jpg

I’m running American Racing Wheels Outlaw 2’s with 33” Cooper Discoverer AT3xlt tires. I had the outlaws on both of my YJ’s back in the day and wanted something on my 97 TJ that would have been available back when it was new.

E07F7C07-854B-490C-8405-338D78E8228D.jpeg

I’m running American Racing Wheels Outlaw 2’s with 33” Cooper Discoverer AT3xlt tires. I had the outlaws on both of my YJ’s back in the day and wanted something on my 97 TJ that would have been available back when it was new.

View attachment 178502
Could throw a picture of the Jeep sitting on those wheels please??

11 years since I last saw them, the 15x8 aluminum American Racing AR23 is still my favorite inexpensive wheel.

View attachment 178500
Mine too. Been thinking about putting them on my TJ, but would have to buy 7 of them, so I would have matching wheels on my trailer.
IMG_20180625_173741188.jpg

Save yourself some money and stick wit 15" wheels, there is no need to go 16" or 17" even if you get free 16" wheels. Price out the same size tires in different wheel sizes and you will see they can vary a lot. Even though the only difference is the size of the hole in the center :)

Status
Not open for further replies.