What RPM should I be shifting at?

I'll have to take a video of my Jeep at those rpms because I've been driving standards of all makes for a long time and I know when my engine and rpms are being pushed and I'd look and sound like an idiot driving my Jeep shifting at 3000-3500rpm. 2200-2300 is the sweet spot for my Jeep and it definitely isnt lugging into the next gear by any means.

100% convinced theres an issue with my gears or something along the way because my Jeep definitely cant be pushed like your guys can with the rpms over and over all day long.

I'll have to take a video of my Jeep at those rpms because I've been driving standards of all makes for a long time and I know when my engine and rpms are being pushed and I'd look and sound like an idiot driving my Jeep shifting at 3000-3500rpm. 2200-2300 is the sweet spot for my Jeep and it definitely isnt lugging into the next gear by any means.

100% convinced theres an issue with my gears or something along the way because my Jeep definitely cant be pushed like your guys can with the rpms over and over all day long.

What are your rpms at 75mph?

What are your rpms at 75mph?

I dont make it on the highway often and that's about 120km/h which is still 20 over the limit so it doesn't get up that high too often haha I'll get it up to 100 tomorrow morning and have a look at my rpms. I've been obsessing about this rpm business for the entire day lol

Reactions: jjvw
I dont make it on the highway often and that's about 120km/h which is still 20 over the limit so it doesn't get up that high too often haha I'll get it up to 100 tomorrow morning and have a look at my rpms. I've been obsessing about this rpm business for the entire day lol

One thing I've noticed is that sound plays a huge part in how I drive my Jeep. When the fan is on, I typically shift at lower RPM and tend to not like how my Jeep drives as much. It is MUCH louder and less powerful. When the fan is off, I drive it normally, shifting at above 3000 RPM.

Do you have an exhaust leak? Maybe a very loud exhaust? Or maybe the fan clutch is stuck on so your fan is screaming all the time? Could change how you are driving quite a bit.

Do you have an exhaust leak? Maybe a very loud exhaust? Or maybe the fan clutch is stuck on so your fan is screaming all the time? Could change how you are driving quite a bit.

It has a cherry bomb muffler so that plays a part in it for sure but like I mentioned earlier i can feel it in the engine and the throttle.

Maybe a dumb question but is there any way my tach is off? Basically what you guys describe at higher RPM is what I get at a lower RPM so I'm wondering if when my tach says 2000 its really 3000 or something.

It has a cherry bomb muffler so that plays a part in it for sure but like I mentioned earlier i can feel it in the engine and the throttle.

Maybe a dumb question but is there any way my tach is off? Basically what you guys describe at higher RPM is what I get at a lower RPM so I'm wondering if when my tach says 2000 its really 3000 or something.

If your tach was off, your speedo would be off. Very unlikely the tach is off.

I think there has to be wrong with your Jeep. I can’t even notice the engine at 2500. It really only starts to become noticeable at 3000.

I think there has to be wrong with your Jeep. I can’t even notice the engine at 2500. It really only starts to become noticeable at 3000.

For sure. I'm going to have to look into this because I'm definitely no slouch with the throttle and I'm not practicing driving Miss Daisy haha

All my torque and power really kicks in between 2300-2500. Any higher and it feels like I'm redlining.

If your tach was off, your speedo would be off. Very unlikely the tach is off.

I thought tach went off cam shaft sensor, and speedo went off tcase sensor?

I honestly don't have any hard proof, that's just my general assumption, and seems logical to me lol

Nope, it makes sense. I’m not sure why I thought the speedo depended on the tach. That’d make no sense because it couldn’t figure out what gear you’re in to figure out speed.

Ok so at 100km/h in 4th gear my Jeep runs at 2000-2100rpm, 100km/h in 5th gear and it drops way down to 1600.

I tried pushing it to the RPMs you guys suggest but maaaaaan, the engine was pushing and I felt like the crank would bust through if I went any higher than 3100 and by the time I got out of town my oil pressure was spiking.

Edit: are these symptoms of a bad cam shaft sensor accurate?
"Vehicle does not drive like it used to. If your vehicle idles roughly, stalls frequently, has a drop in engine power, stumbles frequently, has reduced gas mileage, or accelerates slowly, these are all signs your camshaft position sensor could be failing. ...
Check Engine Light comes on. ..."

It doesnt run rough but, but if you dont hit the clutch and gas just right it stumbles and shakes, especially taking off from a stop, it does feel a little gutless. I mean I know Jeeps arent supppse to be power houses but its always felt lacking to me. My fuel mileage is garbage and acceleration isnt that great, and my check engine light has been going off and on for the last week or so.

Last edited:
3.07 gears

NV3550/30.5"/3.07 = 60mph @ 2050rpm/4th

NV3550/30.5"/3.07 = 59mph @ 1600rpm/5th

Wow that's a huge difference in RPMs for 1mph! So does everything sound about right for my gears? Because there's still no way I could push it to 3500 like you guys. The spike in oil temp alone is enough to make me not like it lol

Wow that's a huge difference in RPMs for 1mph! So does everything sound about right for my gears? Because there's still no way I could push it to 3500 like you guys. The spike in oil temp alone is enough to make me not like it lol

If you can't redline the engine in lower gears, you've got stuff to figure out.

I think gearing and tire size are factors as well. 3.73 gears with the 6 speed pulls strongly in the lower gears between 2000 and 2500 rpms with somewhat worn 31 inch tires .
Sorry for dragging this on, but this is pretty much exactly in line with what I get with my Jeep when it comes to shifting and RPMs. All my torque and power is between those rpms. No lugging into the next gear, it goes to the next gear with plenty of power behind it. Anyway I wont keep beating a dead horse lol but now I'm obsessed with this "issue(?)" At least figuring this out will give me something to do lol Thanks for all the help and input guys!

sorry for entering my jeep works in a similar way
Sorry for dragging this on, but this is pretty much exactly in line with what I get with my Jeep when it comes to shifting and RPMs. All my torque and power is between those rpms. No lugging into the next gear, it goes to the next gear with plenty of power behind it. Anyway I wont keep beating a dead horse lol but now I'm obsessed with this "issue(?)" At least figuring this out will give me something to do lol Thanks for all the help and input guys!

sorry for entering my jeep works in a similar,
Are the rpm normal?
5th manual transmission

IMG_20190913_091909.jpg