What RPM should I be shifting at?

I have an 02 with the 4.0, 5 speed & 4.56s. The shift up light goes on at like 1700 rpms, usually way too early for me. I usually shift around 2500 or 3000.

I have an 02 with the 4.0, 5 speed & 4.56s. The shift up light goes on at like 1700 rpms, usually way too early for me. I usually shift around 2500 or 3000.
The last couple days, I have been driving by the light. It tries very hard to keep the rpms below 2000.

Reactions: Airjunky
You have 3.07 gears and roughly a 30" tire.

Would you say 3.07s are good enough to run a 30 or 31" tire or do you think it would be better with an upgrade?

The last couple days, I have been driving by the light. It tries very hard to keep the rpms below 2000.

I cant drive by mine either. Maybe 1 out of the 5 gears it actually lights up at a good shift time.

No offense but man you do a lot of assuming when it comes to how other peoples vehicles run. It is possible for someone else's engine or transmission to act differently than others lol

TJ's should drive very similar to each other (at least engine and transmission wise) if they have no issues. Only so much can change.

I think your issue might come down to this from your build thread. Is this from the Jeep you say feels like it is about to explode over 2500?

71094043_370465993889380_5090061034928996352_n-jpg.jpg

TJ's should drive very similar to each other (at least engine and transmission wise) if they have no issues. Only so much can change.

I think your issue might come down to this from your build thread. Is this from the Jeep you say feels like it is about to explode over 2500?

I don't really see what the rust on the body has to do with how my engine and transmission runs?

It makes a difference on how you perceive it vibration and sound wise. You're pretty much missing body mounts.

But what I'm feeling isn't just vibrations and sound.

I don't know maybe it's just me, but I think I know how my engine and transmission feel and react better than someone who's never sat behind the wheel of my Jeep. That's not to say there aren't issues that need to be fixed or addressed, but to have someone simply blow it off cause their Jeep doesn't act that way, is ridiculous. I'm not going to risk pushing my Jeep and possibly blowing it up if something is broke, just because someone online says it can take it.

But what I'm feeling isn't just vibrations and sound.

I don't know maybe it's just me, but I think I know how my engine and transmission feel and react better than someone who's never sat behind the wheel of my Jeep. That's not to say there aren't issues that need to be fixed or addressed, but to have someone simply blow it off cause their Jeep doesn't act that way, is ridiculous. I'm not going to risk pushing my Jeep and possibly blowing it up if something is broke, just because someone online says it can take it.

No one is trying to start an argument. Either there are issues with the Jeep or you are perceiving what is going on as abnormal when it isn't. I would start with rust repair. Having the body firmly attached to the frame will change a lot.

In the meantime, I'd say you probably shouldn't be driving that on the road very much at all. Very dangerous, especially considering some of the other photos in your thread.

No one is trying to start an argument. Either there are issues with the Jeep or you are perceiving what is going on as abnormal when it isn't. I would start with rust repair. Having the body firmly attached to the frame will change a lot.

In the meantime, I'd say you probably shouldn't be driving that on the road very much at all. Very dangerous, especially considering some of the other photos in your thread.

I highly doubt having the body attached to the frame will affect how my engine is running but thank you for the suggestion. I think I'll keep going another direction to diagnose the issue.

This thread is past ridiculous. Max your engine out if you want. I'll baby mine because it will never be fast and driving it like it is, is foolish. I still have love for all of you and will be glad to give you a ride home when you throw a rod. I have a 79 C10 with a 406 and its built to run hard and is fast. I have no need to pretend my Jeep is. It's good enough for me to take my time and enjoy the scenery. Enjoy your ride however you want. I'll do the same.

No offense but man you do a lot of assuming when it comes to how other peoples vehicles run. It is possible for someone else's engine or transmission to act differently than others lol

The engine isn't about to explode at 3750rpm. Where did Jeep set the rev limiter?

I have a 98, 4.0, 5-sp and I have a shift light. I go by tach and engine sound though. If I went by the shift light every time I'd be lugging the engine, guaranteed. I usually am shifting somewhere between 2500 and 3000 depending on the gear and situation.

I got back to my Jeep after a week away and tried to shift by the light for fun. After it told me to shift to fourth when I was at 1750 in 3rd, I gave up.