What RPM should I be shifting at?

2000 RPM is too early to be shifting. There is no correct answer here, but I'd be shifting around 2500-3000 RPM personally.

I would like to give you an exact rpm but I generally shift by sound. The shift up light is low and is more in line with trying to maximize fuel economy. If I was to guess I would say I shift around 2500-3000 rpm.

For normal driving I usually shift from 1st between 2500-3000, and the rest of the gears between 2500-3500. But like Chris said, there's no real correct answer.

I have a 2006 LJ 4.0 6 speed, no indicator light. You can shift at 2000 rpm on level ground if you are not accelerating much, but 2500 is reasonable unless you want to accelerate quicker.

Shifting at low RPM can be worse for an engine than shifting at high RPM if you're lugging it. I wouldn't want to shift out of first at 2500 only to lug the engine down to 1800 in second while still trying to gain speed.

Engines last long when you don't put a ton of load on them (AKA lugging or full throttle accelerations). I typically accelerate at a normal pace and shift at 3500-ish when in lower gears. That way I'm not putting a huge load on the engine.

Reactions: Hound Dog
I think gearing and tire size are factors as well. 3.73 gears with the 6 speed pulls strongly in the lower gears between 2000 and 2500 rpms with somewhat worn 31 inch tires .

Reactions: Chapman4266
Most of the driving I do is on side streets at lower speeds, if I had big tires and lived in Colorado I would shift about 1000 rpm higher! It's pretty flat in my area of Jersey...

Most of the driving I do is on side streets at lower speeds, if I had big tires and lived in Colorado I would shift about 1000 rpm higher! It's pretty flat in my area of Jersey...

Come visit Denver. It's nearly as flat as Jersey and the traffic is getting to be about the same. You should feel right at home. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Ericict
I think gearing and tire size are factors as well. 3.73 gears with the 6 speed pulls strongly in the lower gears between 2000 and 2500 rpms with somewhat worn 31 inch tires .
I have no problem shifting at 2k-2500 with 4.10s and 6 speed on 31s. Never struggles or lugs. Most of the torque feels like it goes away after3k anyway. I have my hotrod, and it is quite a different story when I drive it. I see no need in revving an engine like the 4.0 above 3300. It just doesn't make sense to me. Time will tell, but I have 265,000 miles on my pickup and still going strong and I drive it the same way.

When do the automatics like to shift?
Around 2K under light load. Even earlier if you are really light on the pedal. I can drive my 42RLE around all day up to 65 easy without breaking 2K.

Jeep programmed the transmission and the shift light based on wear data and fuel curves for the 4.0, not internet voodoo and wives tales. Follow Jeeps advice or some dude on the internet. Somebody always has a good story about why they are correct and the folks that designed the engine are wrong.

Around 2K under light load. Even earlier if you are really light on the pedal. I can drive my 42RLE around all day up to 65 easy without breaking 2K.

Jeep programmed the transmission and the shift light based on wear data and fuel curves for the 4.0, not internet voodoo and wives tales. Follow Jeeps advice or some dude on the internet. Somebody always has a good story about why they are correct and the folks that designed the engine are wrong.

Recommending to shift with the shift light is laughable. You'd be sitting at 1300 RPM all day long.

Believe me when I say that I've tried driving by the light just to see if I could. I can't and I'm not sure who would be able to.

2000 RPM is too early to be shifting. There is no correct answer here, but I'd be shifting around 2500-3000 RPM personally.
All day long , and that's based on correct gears.

Reactions: Chris