What seals do I need for a Dana 44 with 35 spline axle shafts?

DWR

TJ Addict
Long story short, when I re-geared my jeep and noticed I had aftermarket axles in my rear dana44 I didn’t count the splines like a dummy… Turns out the prior owner upgraded to 35spline axles (according to the person I was paying to replace the seals as I simply couldn’t be bothered lol)… so the normal seals and bearings that are recommended (Timken SET10, Timken 9912S) wont work.

Can someone please, please help me figure out the correct parts to order?

I also need the part number for new parking brake shoes as they are aftermarket Wildwood disks that are also apparently different… Though this isn’t big of a priority.

Last edited:
In any case if anyone needs some normal 9912S dana44 axle seals PM me because I didn’t return them in time.

Long story short, when I re-geared my jeep and noticed I had aftermarket axles in my rear dana44 I didn’t count the splines like a dummy… Turns out the prior owner upgraded to 35spline axles (according to the person I was paying to replace the seals as I simply couldn’t be bothered lol)… so the normal seals and bearings that are recommended (Timken SET10, Timken 9912S) wont work.

Can someone please, please help me figure out the correct parts to order?

I also need the part number for new parking brake shoes as they are aftermarket Wildwood disks that are also apparently different… Though this isn’t big of a priority.

I may be slightly incorrect but I am pretty sure the only way to not use the Set 10 bearings at the housing ends would be to replace them with a housing end that takes a different seal. The most common one would be the Torino big bearing or Set 20 but even those have the same bearing journal diameter. So, either I am completely confused or someone's identification of what you need is.

Wilwood doesn't have a d after the l. They are only a little rambunctious.

I may be slightly incorrect but I am pretty sure the only way to not use the Set 10 bearings at the housing ends would be to replace them with a housing end that takes a different seal. The most common one would be the Torino big bearing or Set 20 but even those have the same bearing journal diameter. So, either I am completely confused or someone's identification of what you need is.

This. I am not aware of any 35 spline kits that do not use the Set10 and 9912s unless you have a custom housing.

I think autocorrect got me there

This. I am not aware of any 35 spline kits that do not use the Set10 and 9912s unless you have a custom housing.

My installer seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy, and builds some very wild rigs, but maybe he is mistaken?… I plan on pulling off the wheel and get the brand of the axle this weekend so I can maybe contact the manufacturer for more info.

It certainly doesn’t LOOK like a custom housing though. Any surefire way to tell?
@Jerry Bransford do you possibly have any input on this?

So I just got a text back from my installer, his initial text didn’t seem to imply the housing was aftermarket as well but he just clarified to me that it indeed is. So, that’s one step closer I guess. Looking forward to that dimension chart from Blackjack and hopefully that will clear things up for sure/tell me which kit I need.

On a side thought…with only running 33”s… I think the prior owner REALLY didn’t want the rear to break😂.

So I just got a text back from my installer, his initial text didn’t seem to imply the housing was aftermarket as well but he just clarified to me that it indeed is. So, that’s one step closer I guess. Looking forward to that dimension chart from Blackjack and hopefully that will clear things up for sure/tell me which kit I need.

On a side thought…with only running 33”s… I think the prior owner REALLY didn’t want the rear to break😂.

Even if it is aftermarket, there are only a few commonly used bearings. Set 10, set 20, set 80 would be most likely what would be used with a 35 spline set up unless the axle builder went way out in left field and built custom housing ends to go with custom shafts.

If it is discs like you indicated, are they using a spacer on top of the seal to compensate? If so, that points to Set 20. A few pictures would certainly be a lot more helpful.

Reactions: Blackjack
Even if it is aftermarket, there are only a few commonly used bearings. Set 10, set 20, set 80 would be most likely what would be used with a 35 spline set up unless the axle builder went way out in left field and built custom housing ends to go with custom shafts.

If it is discs like you indicated, are they using a spacer on top of the seal to compensate? If so, that points to Set 20. A few pictures would certainly be a lot more helpful.

I don’t think they went that far, I do remember some normal sounding aftermarket brand being on the axle end (just can’t remember which. From when I did the re-gear I don’t recall any kind of spacer involved. Would spacers still be needed since they are Willwood?

If I get the time to take things down this weekend I will 100% get some pics

Edit: You know what… now that I think about it could the mounting bracket for the Willwoods potentially be serving as a kind of spacer.. idk

Last edited:
I don’t think they went that far, I do remember some normal sounding aftermarket brand being on the axle end (just can’t remember which. From when I did the re-gear I don’t recall any kind of spacer involved. Would spacers still be needed since they are Willwood?
Depends on how they set it up. They do have spacer rings for the Dana 44 Set 10 for those that don't want to run the OEM Rubi retainers but otherwise you would just use that retainer and not use a spacer since it has a lip formed on it to compensate for the thicker cast backing plate. They don't make that retainer for Set 20 so all of those when used with Explorer Disc brakes would have a spacer. They also can't use the drum brake axle offset with that set up and have to use the disc brake set up with a completely different axle shaft and bearing offset.

If they used a JK housing end, none of those would run a spacer typically since there are no drum brake JK's so everything is set up for discs.
If I get the time to take things down this weekend I will 100% get some pics
We care as much as you do.

Reactions: John Cooper and DWR
We care as much as you do.

Im hugely appreciate the fact that the people in this forum genuinely care and are so knowledgeable.

I don’t think this will be too helpful but these are pics I just took, maybe something can be gleaned from them

AA0D87B2-8923-4E3A-9154-57DB4FD6B1F1.jpeg

FB1C21EC-D55C-4E69-A0A9-CFC879774D4E.jpeg

561510A6-7175-498A-AF34-72DD257BD6E3.jpeg

Please ignore the obvious bubba “fix” of the parking brake line… wasn’t me, just haven’t gotten around to fixing it yet

Please ignore the obvious bubba “fix” of the parking brake line… wasn’t me, just haven’t gotten around to fixing it yet

My money is on Set 20 and if that is accurate then I am a fucking genius from figuring that out based on what appears to be a symmetrical bolt pattern which the Dana 44 doesn't have. It has a spacer if so or some oddity somehow if it doesn't.

I’m guessing the 4 rectangles around the axle tube are the symmetrical bolts you’re referring to? Also are you saying you see a spacer based on those pics? Or are you saying the brake kit you linked uses that piece at the bottom of the pic instead of a spacer?

The most I know for sure about the brake kit is that it uses these pads .

150-8850K BP-10​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G33FRY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And it sure looks a lot like this kit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-7139-p

But I guess all is guessing till I can take a closer look at things

I’m guessing the 4 rectangles around the axle tube are the symmetrical bolts you’re referring to?
Those are the heads of 4 T bolts. They aren't the symmetrical I'm referring to, I'm referring to the housing end bolt pattern. JK and Set 20 are symmetrical, Dana 44 Set 10 is not.
Also are you saying you see a spacer based on those pics?
Or are you saying the brake kit you linked uses that piece at the bottom of the pic instead of a spacer?
I see a formed lip on the retainer.
1668204527818.png

The most I know for sure about the brake kit is that it uses these pads .

150-8850K BP-10​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G33FRY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
They will use one caliper across a broad range of applications.
And it sure looks a lot like this kit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-7139-p

But I guess all is guessing till I can take a closer look at things
Look up the Wilwood disc brakes conversions. They are all very similar and likely use the same set of shoes.

Reactions: DWR
My money is on Set 20 and if that is accurate then I am a fucking genius from figuring that out based on what appears to be a symmetrical bolt pattern which the Dana 44 doesn't have. It has a spacer if so or some oddity somehow if it doesn't.

Your eye is pretty good on this one. Looks like new big Ford (AKA Torino) flange.

Axle-Flange-Housing-Identification.png

Reactions: DWR and mrblaine