What should I address while gas tank is off?

Leinhit

TJ Enthusiast
Good day all.

2001 TJ

I have the gas tank off to replace the gas tank skid plate. While it is off I noticed the rear track bar has some jiggle play on the one passenger side bushing.

Is that bushing replaceable or do I have to replace the entire rear sway bar? Could it be just the bolt?

Would you advise to do it or is it not really that big of a issue?

also does the fuel pump in the tank have a filter sock on it that I should be replacing while it is out? anything I should be aware of before I try taking the fuel pump out?

Or should I just leave it as it is. I haven't had any issues with fuel delivery.

Anything else I should be addressing while it is off?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Personally, I would replace the fuel pump while you have the tank out as preventive maintenance.

Can't speak to the trackbar issue.

Reactions: EJD
Upper shock mounting bolts.

Remove, clean them and the hole up, reinstall with anti seize. Reduce the torque when reinstalling with anti seize by 15-20%.

If the break when removing them, you’ve already got the tank off for a more accessible fix.

It may save you a headache down the road.

Reactions: StG58 and matkal
Upper shock mounting bolts.

Remove, clean them and the hole up, reinstall with anti seize. Reduce the torque when reinstalling with anti seize by 15-20%.

If the break when removing them, you’ve already got the tank off for a more accessible fix.

It may save you a headache down the road.

Also if you add a 1" body lift those shock bolts are really accessible all the time now.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
With a body lift, you can use a propane or MAP torch to heat the the nuts that the upper shock bolts thread into. This was the key to getting the shock bolts out without breaking them for me. YMMV

Well so far I've done new fuel strainers in the tank, both of them. Rust treated the underside where the tank will go back in,. Bed line the new skis plate, Replace sway bar bushings and breaking of a bolt in the process.. ( have to figure how to get it out) track bar bushings are coming.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MountaineerTom