What should I bring when driving my TJ from Alaska to Nevada?

Ole_Hopscotch23

Hey just wanted to get everyones opinion. I'll be driving from Alaska to Nevade and wanted to know what parts everyone would bring and what they would do to the jeep before they left. Any advice would be great thank you in advance

I'd change or check all my fluids. I thought my coolant was good until I spent four hours yesterday flushing fine black grit out of the block.

Tires. Did I mention tires?

Spare parts, extra fluids, tire patch kit...all the usual stuff I take with me anytime.

First aid kit. Water. Blankets and sleeping bags. Hell I carry snow shoes in the winter.

Mostly depends on what you don't trust in your jeep.

-Mac

Reactions: CptnMurica
I drove my RV flat towing my TJ in August 2021 to move to Virginia from Anchorage. The ALCAN highway was in the worst condition I've experienced (from driving it twice prior in the past). I've been on off-roading trails in smoother and better conditions than the ALCAN. From what I heard COVID halted road repairs of the ALCAN. The worst part was from Tok, AK to Whitehorse. I actually snapped my flat tow bar in half right at the border (Beaver Creek) and had to detach my TJ and drive to Whitehorse and back with a new tow bar....and that snapped only doing about 40mph max. Once past Whitehorse the roads were a lot better but still not perfect. I would highly recommend a full size spare, extra fluids, tire patch kit, first aid kit, and some survival items if there is a vehicle breakdown. Also not sure if Canada has changed regulations but Americans and outside travelers are not allowed to stop in towns unless its for fuel/food and that's it.

Additionally, not sure if you are traveling with firearms but the Canadian border was way harsher this time around with my firearms than they were the two other times I've crossed in the past so if you have any it might be worth just shipping them to a FFL.

Id get under it and closely inspect the axle control arm brackets for cracks, the exhaust hangers and exhaust, retorque the lugs, service it and keep the fingers crossed. A coworker of mine some years ago would annually go on a long trek towing a pontoon up to the Sierra. Every year before he went he had hoses,belts,plugs,oil,coolant diffs & trans serviced,bla,bla,bla. He'd pick it up on the way home from work and hook up and head off. About 50% of the time he had a flame out from the mechanics forgetting to tighten or finish something etc. Get it prepped and drive it a bit to make damn sure its all good to go before heading out on the trip.

Do a good inspection of your Jeep. Is the frame and body mounts in good shape? Any rot anywhere? Fix anything that is broken.

Replace all the fluids, do a tune up, and make sure your tires are decent. Get an AAA card just in case you break down unexpectedly. And carry some food, water and some emergency blankets just in case.

I have no experience with the ALCAN highway, but a close friend drove the highway and said they had to plug, replace and buy a couple new tires due to the sharp rocks and such littering the highway....

A portable jumper pack that can also charge your phone, I now have them in every car instead of jumper cables. They are only $40-$60 on amazon, I have jumped my TJ from totally dead a few times and the charge lasts 6 months to a year in the trunk.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I've driven the AlCan 7 times between 2015 and 2019- never had a flat tire. In all of those trips the only mechanical breakdowns I had were a ujoint going bad and a cracked windshield.

I would do a general once-over the vehicle before you leave and repair/replace anything, and if you don't feel comfortable doing that, most any shop should be happy to do a full vehicle inspection.

As far as the trip itself, at least before COVID, it really isn't that bad. If you do happen to have a breakdown, there are plenty of other people on the road, enough to give you a ride or at least call a tow truck at the next town for you.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Haven't driven the ALCAN since the early 80's, and I'm sure there are far more places to stop today to get help than there were then.
That being said, aside from the items already mentioned there is probably nothing more to add except to make sure that your basic maintenance is current.
I would probably add a can for extra fuel.

I'd bring plenty of water and warm cloths but no special extra spare parts for a road trip. It's an oil change worth of driving, guessing what parts are going to fail is a bit of a crap-shoot.

Something to start a fire with can save your life.

Basic tools, tire plug kit and compressor or make dead sure you jack works and lug wrench fits and spare has air.

Water.

Spare fan belt.

A carton of Marlboros, dark sunglasses and tell ‘em you are on a mission from God.😎

Last edited:
Don't forget rock covers for your headlights. Or bring spare headlights. The ALCAN is a headlight killer

download (1).jpeg

Well based on a recent experience a pipe to loop your heater core hoses in case your heater core goes and starts pumping vaporized coolant into the cab causing you to overheat.

Just need a pair of pliers to do the fix and you’ll be rolling in the time it takes for the Jeep to cool down a bit. Rather than be stranded. I’ll be keeping one in my glovebox from now on.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
That’s cool. What brand. Item etc is that.
Just a random image. It's been over 20 years since I went down the ALCAN. I still remember feeling sick from all the ups and downs in that highway

They sell headlight protection grills you just have to Google them. They do block some light. I only used them after I broke a headlight on the Alcan

Reactions: CptnMurica