What should I do to make it more agile and fun for daily driver?

pixologics

TJ Enthusiast
Everyone, I have this six speed manual transmission TJ Rubicon and I am trying to figure out what should I do make it more agile/peppy and fun to drive around city and see me freeway as in daily driver.
For some reason I am finding it's not up to the task and I am not sure what is wrong.
Whether it's the 6 gear or the rubicon gear ratio or the lift and wider tire are the issue?
Prior to this I had a 5 speed manual TJ Sahara mostly stock but it was much much more fun and enjoyable but sold it due to lots of issues with it's rust.
Can anyone share some experience and suggestions.

It's running on 33x12.5 Falken wildpeak with some Pro Comp wheel. Bilstein shocks and some Red color springs brand unknown to me. It has 3-4 inch lift not sure exactly how much.
It has an ARB tire carrier gate and heavy duty rear bumper and also some very good quality front bumper. It also has a winch and center mounted pod lights. Any suggestions for how to make it agile without breaking bank.

IMG20210324190432.jpg

IMG20210324190406.jpg

Strip it down loose all that weight and go back to stock. Simples :)
Sell all the aftermarket parts including tires put 31,s back on and do all the hard trails in somebody else's jeep.

Reactions: pixologics
Do you have stock rubicon gears? If I'm not mistaken, other users are running the NSG-370 with 4.10s and 33s, and some prefer that to 4.56. The aftermarket bumpers could possibly be a bit heavy. Getting rid of the hardtop and rear seats would be the easiest way to reduce weight, and of course running half doors or softtop doors as well. Sick ride! I'm very interested to see how it goes

Strip it down loose all that weight and go back to stock. Simples :)
Sell all the aftermarket parts including tires put 31,s back on and do all the hard trails in somebody else's jeep.
I was thinking about it but not sure if I would end with more expenses.

Do you have stock rubicon gears? If I'm not mistaken, other users are running the NSG-370 with 4.10s and 33s, and some prefer that to 4.56. The aftermarket bumpers could possibly be a bit heavy. Getting rid of the hardtop and rear seats would be the easiest way to reduce weight, and of course running half doors or softtop doors as well. Sick ride! I'm very interested to see how it goes
It's stock gear ratio for Rubicon 4.10 and no I don't want to take off hard top. And I wanted to skip putting unnecessary expense in doing gear recalibrate etc.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Also, the tires are quite a bit of heavy rolling mass to pull.
Yeah too heavy tires but I just bought the Jeep as it was mostly tuned for off-road and I'm not much of off road I realize maybe I will never need winch and all that extra stuff on it.

What size lift is on it? Over 4"? The higher you go the less nimble its going to feel.

I was thinking about it but not sure if I would end with more expenses.
It could be as simple as the wheels and tires, get a cheap set of 31,s to try. I can use my 6th at anything over 40mph on my stock 29 /15s and it doesnt labor, your rolling footprint is a drag, air up to max and try it your footprint will be less.
Do a weight comparison of your 33,s to stock Rubi wheels/tires

Reactions: pixologics
It's stock gear ratio for Rubicon 4.10 and no I don't want to take off hard top. And I wanted to skip putting unnecessary expense in doing gear recalibrate etc.

Did you pick out those tires and rims? I know the tires have a good amount of life left, but maybe you can use the "po" as an excuse to get new rims and tires.

Your situation is tough, you don't want to regear to just to go from 4.10s to 4.56, but if you went with 31s your tires might look small to you with the lift.

Did you pick out those tires and rims? I know the tires have a good amount of life left, but maybe you can use the "po" as an excuse to get new rims and tires.

Your situation is tough, you don't want to regear to just to go from 4.10s to 4.56, but if you went with 31s your tires might look small to you with the lift.
Spring compressors :)