What should I do to make it more agile and fun for daily driver?

If you aren

Ha ha! I was waiting for the 1st person to ask about it. Should we let the OP know what they have?
The previous owner told me that just the front bumper are worth $1k minus any accessories after I had already purchased it.

Reactions: 06lj
This is why I ride stock bumpers. I am gonna cut my front bumper someday and make it midlength.
I shopped awhile for nice aftermarket bumpers and realized I could buy several stock bumbers for one of the nicer ones. Sure they aren't as tough, but for what I do it works. They are fairly light which is a plus also.

Reactions: Midtenn
If it's to slow on the highway, stay in the right lane and one of these will help. :cool:
p.s. If weight was the issue, nobody could ever ride a passenger in their Jeep.

Watch for hand signals.JPG

Jeep 22 inch tires (2).jpeg

Last edited:
I am not sure but I believe weight is at play in Jeep TJ it affects in a significant manner.

It's relatively light, so putting more people and stuff in it affects the handling more than it would in a heavier truck or SUV.

If you're going to load it down with stuff regularly there are springs for that. I have the HD springs from OME, but currently my TJ is mostly stock. The ride gets noticeably better when I have a passenger and a bunch of heavy stuff in the back. Eventually I'm going to do heavy bumpers, winch, armor, bigger tires, etc... and it'll be fine.

As many others have said, weight and tire size are going to have a huge impact on how your jeep feels and drives. Regearing is a solution that will work (and as others have said, if you plan to stay on 33's, 4.56 or 4.88 is a good option), however this is also a costly solution and sounds like something you are not really interested in.

The other solution is to shed weight, it is well know that unsprung mass (that is anything under the suspension, and including some quotient of your suspension, ie tires, wheels, axles, brakes,ect.) will have the greatest impact on any cars acceleration, braking, and handling as a whole. Most people in to racing equate it as 1lbs of unsprung = to 10lbs in the car. thus, if you could loose 10lbs per wheel and tire, you would equivalently lose 400lbs in the car. in the car would obviously include your winch, bumper and hardtop.
There is an important caveat here, loosing that weight would help immensely with no doubt, but it will not do what regearing will do.

Those falkens your running (according to discount tire) weigh 58lbs each, I would assume those wheels are in the neighborhood of 25lbs each. if you were to go to a 31x10.5 duratrac (45lbs) you could save 13lbs per wheel, or about 520 in the car (assuming that old 1=10 thing is true), and that's just an example. they're are plenty of 31s and 33s out there much lighter than your falkens.

Reactions: pixologics
Speaking of bumpers, my XRC tag fell off my sweet setup. How do I get it back on there? Should I leave it off to save weight?
59A05F77-B141-4C14-9189-DB4C2C51B169.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
It's slow in a sense that a stock Jeep may reach same speed at lesser rpm and faster than an overweight or maybe fatty tires. I'm still learning...
Get some 4.88s in there then. Going from 4.10 to 4.56 would be a waste of money. Your cheapest option would be to drop to stock 31" tires, if you want to keep the hard top. My Jeep drives excellent with heavy steel wheels and 35s. I ride people around in my Jeep too and it doesn't slow it down.:unsure:

RUBI 6 6 4.jpg

As many others have said, weight and tire size are going to have a huge impact on how your jeep feels and drives. Regearing is a solution that will work (and as others have said, if you plan to stay on 33's, 4.56 or 4.88 is a good option), however this is also a costly solution and sounds like something you are not really interested in.

The other solution is to shed weight, it is well know that unsprung mass (that is anything under the suspension, and including some quotient of your suspension, ie tires, wheels, axles, brakes,ect.) will have the greatest impact on any cars acceleration, braking, and handling as a whole. Most people in to racing equate it as 1lbs of unsprung = to 10lbs in the car. thus, if you could loose 10lbs per wheel and tire, you would equivalently lose 400lbs in the car. in the car would obviously include your winch, bumper and hardtop.
There is an important caveat here, loosing that weight would help immensely with no doubt, but it will not do what regearing will do.

Those falkens your running (according to discount tire) weigh 58lbs each, I would assume those wheels are in the neighborhood of 25lbs each. if you were to go to a 31x10.5 duratrac (45lbs) you could save 13lbs per wheel, or about 520 in the car (assuming that old 1=10 thing is true), and that's just an example. they're are plenty of 31s and 33s out there much lighter than your falkens.
Yes I was thinking on the line of absolutely stock size but wanted to retain the current suspension setup. Would it look or drive bad with stock tire size and 3.5 inch lift that I think I have?

Get some 4.88s in there then. Going from 4.10 to 4.56 would be a waste of money. Your cheapest option would be to drop to stock 31" tires, if you want to keep the hard top. My Jeep drives excellent with heavy steel wheels and 35s. I ride people around in my Jeep too and it doesn't slow it down.:unsure:

View attachment 243666
Sir maybe come over to CA give it a try 🙂

Yes I was thinking on the line of absolutely stock size but wanted to retain the current suspension setup. Would it look or drive bad with stock tire size and 3.5 inch lift that I think I have?
Look good or bad is going to be completely up to your aesthetics, everyone on here has a different idea of how they want their jeep to look, and the only person that matters in the end is do you like it. As far as going back to "stock", stock wheels and tires for a Tj ranges from about 27-30.5in, so a 31 or like a 265/75 (31.5-32) is still going to be larger than stock, but smaller than your 33s.

As to my opinion "Would it look or drive bad with stock tire size", with the fender flares you have, 3.5 in of lift, and what look like 10in wheels, 31s will look a little awkward, but the jeep will drive better (on road of course), that's just math. acceleration will be better, braking distance will be shorter, and may even see a small bump in mpg.

if I was in your shoes, I would keep on eye out for some take offs. someone near you is undoubtedly upgrading their jeep and is selling off their old wheels and tires. grab those for cheap, put your 33s in the garage and see how you like it. If you do great buy wheels and tires you like with the money from selling the 33s. if you don't, swap them back out and looking to regearing.

Look good or bad is going to be completely up to your aesthetics, everyone on here has a different idea of how they want their jeep to look, and the only person that matters in the end is do you like it. As far as going back to "stock", stock wheels and tires for a Tj ranges from about 27-30.5in, so a 31 or like a 265/75 (31.5-32) is still going to be larger than stock, but smaller than your 33s.

As to my opinion "Would it look or drive bad with stock tire size", with the fender flares you have, 3.5 in of lift, and what look like 10in wheels, 31s will look a little awkward, but the jeep will drive better (on road of course), that's just math. acceleration will be better, braking distance will be shorter, and may even see a small bump in mpg.

if I was in your shoes, I would keep on eye out for some take offs. someone near you is undoubtedly upgrading their jeep and is selling off their old wheels and tires. grab those for cheap, put your 33s in the garage and see how you like it. If you do great buy wheels and tires you like with the money from selling the 33s. if you don't, swap them back out and looking to regearing.
I like your suggestions and I wanted to hold on the wheels and tires after taking them off. But I am not clear what size spec should I look in used market place. Most of the takeoff ads that I see are from Jeep JK or JL which I believe are not direct fit.

I like your suggestions and I wanted to hold on the wheels and tires after taking them off. But I am not clear what size spec should I look in used market place. Most of the takeoff ads that I see are from Jeep JK or JL which I believe are not direct fit.
You are correct jk and jl will not be a direct swap. Tj will be 5x4.5 bolt pattern, jk/jl are 5x5, as well as factory tj wheels will have about 5.5-4 in of BS, and jk will be more like 6in BS, don't know jl/jt for sure. Jk/jl take off will still work with wheel adapters, but may not be any lighter.

Just keep your eyes open for tj/lj wheels, may take a few weeks but a set will show up.

Or I do know of this one Tj forum where you might be able to ask and see someone near you may have a set laying around 😉

Reactions: pixologics