What should I do to my 99 TJ to prepare for a FL to CA road trip?

Supporting Member
99 4.0L I-6 5spd Manual TJ w/ 67k miles. Stock height on 31's. Overall solid as a rock, but I'm skeptical of it's performance cross-country.

If you were to do this, what mods would you make? Parts to replace with new? General advice?

Rn I'm thinking a higher performance radiator, high quality shocks, and maybe a roof rack.

The factory radiator is already higher-performance than what you can find in the aftermarket, it has an outstanding design that cools better than any alternatives we've found. If it's still in good condition I'd go with it. Maybe do a coolant flush and refill it with a 50-50 mix of Zerex G-05 coolant, use nothing but distilled water. If your radiator hoses are old I'd probably replace them though. I'd probably not do much more than have the tires balanced and change the oil. I'd only replace the shocks if what you have is old and no longer working well. I personally like the inexpensive Rancho RS5000x which is gas-charged, I wish I was still running that shock.

And a big welcome to WTF! I moved to Florida to California last year but I put my TJ and our other two cars on a transporter truck.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
99 4.0L I-6 5spd Manual TJ w/ 67k miles. Stock height on 31's. Overall solid as a rock, but I'm skeptical of it's performance cross-country.

If you were to do this, what mods would you make? Parts to replace with new? General advice?

Rn I'm thinking a higher performance radiator, high quality shocks, and maybe a roof rack.

Off the top of my head:

- If your steering is good, ensure your fluid is topped off (power steering fluid for your year).

- If your brake fluid is dark, then flush it out for new. If it's good, then just top off the reservoir if needed.

- Oil change with a decent oil filter (Mobil, Wix XP, Mopar)

- Ensure that your spare tire is in good condition and aired up (and make sure you have the tools necessary to change it).

- Check your battery connections for corrosion and ensure connections are tight. FWIW, you could also have AutoZone do a health check on the starter/batter/alternator just to give you peace of mind that it's running properly.

- Visually check your vehicle for any loose or missing bolts or any suspect wiring.

- Grease zerk fittings

- Visually check your tires for punctures or signs of aging.

- If you don't have one, it might be nice to have an OBDII reader for the trip. I personally run this cheap OBDII for live date and codes.

Have a fun and safe trip.

Reactions: Mousy Orla
Basic hand tools, tire plug kit, portable air compressor, jug of water. Essentially the same things I carry for an off-road trip.

Check all fluids, belts, hoses, lights, tires, windshield wipers.

Cel phone with charger and a credit card.

I don't know why you would leave FL for CA, but that's your biz. I assume you are traveling I-10, which I have done several dozen times in my WK2.
There are no rest stops I can find on the highway in Louisiana. Places to avoid during morning / evening rush hour: Baton Rouge, Houston, & San Antonio. If you are planning to go through NOLA, avoid it at rush hour, too.
You might consider getting a CB to talk with the truckers about road conditions ahead. I have a hand-held, but can't leave it on due to the foul language. I mean, I was in the Navy, but these guys are just foul.
Remember, you are driving a Jeep. The median can be used to turn around. Just be on the lookout for fences and grass covered concrete drain covers. And LEOs.
Make sure you have phone with a map program on it. It really can navigate you around a tie-up. You might also get a holder for it, so you can see it without picking it up. Make sure you have the right charger that works with your Jeep.
Take plenty of water with you and stay hydrated. You are contemplating a long-ass trip. Might also want to take some food. I usually take pretzels and Snickers.
Once west of SA, biggest problem I found is boredom. There is just nothing there but highway and dirt. We went to Los Alamos a few years ago and I felt like I was driving on the moon in New Mexico.
Make sure you have a decent spare. Get a good lug nut wrench and a jack. I now carry a few foot long 2 x 10s with a bottle jack. Waaayyy better that that little toy jack that came with your Jeep. We have AAA, but it isn't any good anymore. If you rely on them, count on a minimum of 2 hour wait.
Finally, you can't do this trip non-stop. Sit down with the map and plan your time. Figure an AVERAGE speed of around 60 or 65 mph to see where you will be at what time. Make motel reservations before you leave! Last trip, I just figured we would stop when we got tired, but could not find a room in any motel on the interstate for an hour.
One last point. I like to drive at night, but I am a night person. I can drive from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. with no problem. There is a lot less traffic on the highway at night, but the view isn't very good. Think about when you want to drive. I would estimate about 5 mph added to the average if you drive at night. There are plenty of gas stations along the route that are open all night. If you don't have one, get a credit card for gas so you can use the automatic pumps at 3 in the a.m.
One word of warning: when you get to Texas be careful. You may just want to stop and stay here!
Be safe.

Reactions: John Cooper
The wife and I drove from Ft Lauderdale to SoCal in early Apr in a rental. We did it in 8 days and had a ball. Longest part of the trip was going thru Fl. We went up the east coast to St Augustine and then over to Pensacola. We did not realize how far that was going to be. Lots of great things to see and we found some great local places to eat. Lots of nothing after Houston. Make sure you keep an eye on your tire pressure. The tarmac gets real toasty going across the desert areas. You might want to invest is the premium AAA membership which gives to extended towing if you break down in the middle of nowhere.
Safe travels.

I'd check the fan belt too. I replace mine about every 5-6 years and keep an old one for trail fix.